Author Topic: RTMM WayPoints Project  (Read 11889 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
RTMM WayPoints Project
« on: May 26, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »
RTMM Waypoints ...

If you look at the Location Information Page on the "Here2There" web page ...

... you will see that ALL RTMM Locations, with their sublocations, are all now listed in alphabetical order. All of them have start co-ordinates and ALL of them now have their own ICAO code or WayPoint (R-Number).  Many locations previously were not included on the table. Also, the Alaska Power Project was not included. They are now all there. The table now has EVERYTHING we have on the scenery page. The only things still "missing" are the USFS cabins, and that will be the next part of this project.

The R-Number WayPoints ...

You can find the download folder these at the top of the RTMM Scenery Page, also, they are under "R" on the scenery page. Basically it is simply a folder that you put into your ADDON Scenery in your sim and activate. Once you do this, you will have a WayPoint for EVERY RTMM location and sub-location.  If you want to fly to a particular location, look it up on the Location Information Page, get the R-Number (waypoint), and put it into your GPS. When activated, it gives you a DIRECT route to the location .. not a route. There is a pdf in the folder that gives instructions on how to enter these into your GPS and how to use the waypoints.

This, in no way, replaces all of the almost one thousand RTMM/MFC Flight Plan Routes, all of that is intact. However, this will give you a "new" way to fly in the RTMM area that is a little tricky (and probably more realistic). In our area, the ceiling usually is low, around 2000 feet or less, obscuring the mountains. So to get from point A to point B, you must fly a maze between the mountains.  (If you go above them and lose sight of the water, you may come down INTO one!). The RTMM routes give you the turns to run the maze successfully. With the WayPoint system, you put in the waypoint and YOU have to figure out how to run the maze of mountains to reach your objective.  Also, you can now fly from location to location. Before, we always had to start from an airport. Now you can already be an RTMM location, decide to go to a new location, find the WayPoint number, put it in your GPS, and continue your journey to the next listed RTMM destination.

Also, on some days (darned few!) there are clear skies. No use in running the maze, when you can safely go up to about 4000 feet and go directly to a location. I have become very used to the routes, and I've seen most of them over and over. Flying "off the route," above and across the geography gives you a whole new perspective of RTMM.

If you are a novice flier, I would pass on this, it is easier and more safely used by the experienced pilots.  In the end, it is just "another" way to enjoy all of the locations that are hidden out in the RTMM maze waiting for your discovery. Basically, we are giving you a GPS that has every RTMM location already added for you.

I hope you enjoy the new program.

Doug

PS: If you like this kind of flying, making a desktop shortcut to the web page keeps it easy for you to quickly find the WayPoint number.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:06:51 PM by Doug »

kaha

Re: RTMM WayPoints Project
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »
Excellent!

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 08:40:08 AM »
Great job!  Thanks!

Rod

Doug

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
Norm put the table into a PDF so you can print it and keep it on your desk for reference. There are links to it on the HERE2THERE/ Location Information area and you can also download it from the RTMM Scenery Page.  (Attached to this post)

Doug

Vincederio

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 12:33:19 PM »
Hello, bonjour à tous
Thank you for this fantastic job ...
However, it is normal that there are duplicates in the list of BGLs.
good to you
see you soon

un bel avion est un avion qui vole bien. M.D.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
Thank you, those were in error and are now corrected. Once in a while, you also will find duplicates on the table for the same location (Totem Bight).  There are two Start Points there, but only a single GPS location is needed for the location.

If you see any more let me know.  I found a couple of other ones. All fixed. I'll get the new "printed" copy up tonight. I'm putting the USFS Cabins into them, so it is under construction.

Doug

UPDATE: The latest "Printed" (pdf) copy is ready. You will see some blank R Numbers, I am putting all of the details on the USFS cabins first, then I will come down through them and assign GPS slots.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:05:50 PM by Doug »

Vincederio

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Great huge job. I did notice the missing "R" s. However, "R361A" is not a "bgl" file but "xml".
Otherwise unless I don't saw others, everything is perfect.
Thank you for this work. We will have lots of fun.
SEE YOU

Doug

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 01:34:46 PM »
Keep your eyes open for these, doing them gives you kind of a "fuzzy" head after a while. :-)
I've corrected that one to "bgl".  Again, please keep watching, it is a great help for me.

If you click now on the "Refreshed Date" at the RTMM WayPoints scenery location (on the scenery page), it now has a maintenance log so you can see what changes were made.

Doug
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 01:43:53 PM by Doug »

Vincederio

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
Hi Doug
As I understand you, fortunately there are only 365 ;-)
At this time of May 29, my eyes saw no more duplicates or "false bgl". That's a good job.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 06:35:25 PM »
...and the fun starts again tomorrow. I have 12 more USFS cabins to put in after supper, then they are all in the database. Tomorrow I’ll begin giving each of these new (about 150) locations an R number. You can see all of the cabins in there now if you go to the online Location Information table. (I will make a copy for print and download when I’m done, but not yet).

I’m finding these a lot of fun to fly...you really have to pay attention to altitude and you really have to be careful about setting up for the landing zone. It’s a lot of work, but I think many folks will enjoy this as “another way” to experience RTMM.

Doug

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 10:19:16 PM »
Thank you Doug for all you do!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 11:41:46 PM »
Thank you Doug for all you do!

Ditto!   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 06:38:27 AM »
Thank you, Doug!
The waypoints are great for flying in RTMM world!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

av8erjm

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
You're a dynamo Sir

Doug

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
Thank you all.

I now have put in all the cabins and all the locations have an assigned waypoint or R number. You can see all of them on the Location Information table on the Here2There web page. Next, I have to proof all of them. I will be checking the lat/Lon/ and R number on the page against each xml I made,  making sure they all match.  It is easy to accidentally copy from the wrong line and paste it. If lat or long are wrong, you will be landing in the trees,  perhaps in Borneo!

The ones I have up in the web page are not yet double-checked, so be careful.  I'll be checking all if these as well as  the new ones I've made.  There are about 560 if them,  so this will take some time.

What I could use some helonin are these:

1. Are the package identifiers correct. For instance, is an item really located in PFJ or is it in Tongass X?
2. Most of the landing terrains are ok, but I bet there are one or two where I have “W” and it should be “L”
3. I need to figure out the pkg for each of the power plants.
4. You may see other errors, let me know and I will fix them.

When finished, I hope this table will be the roadmap for RTMM. So I’d like to get it as accurate as possible.

Once I’ve double-checked the lat/long data, I’ll post the whole thing for you.

Doug

UPDATE: I've "pulled" the zip file for this, there are just too many errors that I am finding in my cross checking. I'll keep you posted.  Be VERY careful with usage if you've downloaded.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:04:08 PM by Doug »