Author Topic: Re-install after OS crash...?  (Read 2288 times)

Timmy74

Re-install after OS crash...?
« on: May 20, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »
Hello All,

Just a quick question.  The other week -to my horror- I had a OS hard drive crash and lost P3Dv4.5!?

I did however, have my P3Dv4.5 main folder installed on my E: drive which is fine. But due to P3D having stuff naturally installed on the OS C:Drive I had to re-install P3Dv4.5 again.  I still have all of my addons and the such.

Now...I have RTMM installed on the E: Drive too but outside of the main P3Dv4.4 folder. So its still all there I just need to add them to Scenery Library -individually of coarse. Which now leads me to my question....

Do I have to go and "start from scratch" ALL of the install of RTMM!?  Or will I be able to just add them to my scenery Library?

So in short.. If one has a OS crash must one do a "Vanilla" install of RTMM? 

Cheers,
Tim.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Re-install after OS crash...?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 06:11:16 PM »
Ok Tim... If you have everything still intact - might be able to just update the scenery.cfg file to match your entries.. but just just to be clear what part(s) of the RTMM setup was outside the sim? All of it, or just the scenery part: IE:

-RTMM Object Libraries 1-2-3-4 (and what naming convention did you use? - full names or a consolidated?
-RTMM Medical-APP Library
-RTMM BWEP Library
-All the other Add-on scenery pieces (folders)

What about the:
Scenery-world-scenery files (Ai traffic files?), Rtmm Effects, Gauges, Simobjects, Sound  folders be?  - also outside the sim?  or gone?

What about Tongass? Did you have it? If so did it get wiped out? (*updates also are req'd for Tongass to be compatible for use in P3Dv4x+ as to the AI traffic models converting to FSX Native plus the 40 terrain.cfg entries that are required in the P3D terrain.cfg file).     

Lots of questions - it's one thing to have all the scenery but also need all the supporting components for it to display correctly. So if you have everything still intact- then just try the scenery.cfg route and it should all work.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:13:05 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Timmy74

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 07:47:44 PM »
Hello nbrich1,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Okay... I have my E:drive set up as follows -these are the folders.

Europe
FSGX2010
NA
New Zealand
Norway
OZZIE
P3Dv4.5 -the sim
RTMM -which has ALL of my RTMM entries including the library's

I lost the scenery.cfg file because that was on the C:drive.  I had to reinstall Tongass and did the 40 terrain.cfg files the other night. It appears that i still have the AI traffic models fixes to make Tongass work in v4 due to P3Dv4.5 being on the E:drive and that is where my simobjects are.

Now inside my RTMM folder on the E:drive I have as follows...

AhZx_LIB SUB LibraryFSXP3D
CeyX_Sceneries_LibrariesFSXP3D
EZ Scenery LibrartFSXP3D
FSXP3D WH_BWEP Objects_SW 5_30_17
RTMM Medical and APP Libraries FSXP3D
RTMM Object LibraryFSXP3D
RTMM Scenery Object Tester
RTMMTwo Object LibraryFSXP3D
RTMMv4 -this file has ALL of the RTMM addon scenery
RWY12 LibraryFSXP3D
TWC-2 Object LibraryFSXP3D

These are all intact. I did consolidate the RTMM libraries as per instructions when I was installing the scenery early last year.

As for Scenery-World-Scenery they should all still be intact too. But could you give me some examples of files that should be there and I will check?  I am sure it will be okay because the E:drive was never effected.

Cheers,
Tim.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 11:06:02 PM »
Ok Tim..   Scenery-World-Scenery contain traffic xxxx*.bgl files to generate ai traffic (AI air traffic and AI boats/ship traffic (which rely on AI simobjects\airplanes or AI simobjects\boats to function),

But even if you don't have that intact, no biggie for now. But you do need the all the RTMM Effects - needed for almost everything from boats wakes, to all the lighting effects, to smoke effects: chimney smoke, Fires, Orange smoke, all kinds of effects. 

You can go to Annette Island Airport (PANT) to test what you do have.

1. Just add those 9 library entries plus the test to your sim scenery lib.

2. Start your sim go to PANT and test your library/and some of the effects. 

3. If you missing anything noticeable here it will probably be some of the smoke effects  which means you probably missing all the rtmm effects.

You should see all of these buildings etc plus all the smoke effects. (If you don't see everything including the smoke as per the scenery test pic below, then you are missing lib pieces and/or the effects)

(Scenery tester page link(s):
https://www.return.mistymoorings.com/object_libraries_build/#objtest
https://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/index.php#3

Maybe your Effects might be in your folder RTMMv4 too?

Anyways might as well just send me an email (norm_richards@hotmail.com) and then I'll send you a set of effects and maybe a copy of the my rtmm add-on scenery entries from my sim scenery.cfg. Hopefully it might help.

Norm

Timmy74

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »
Hello Norm,

I have done the scenery tester -as instructed from you- and all of them are there...smoke included!
PHEW....I think I am right to go and just add all my RTMM scenes again.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,
Tim.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »
Sure go for it. Nothing to loose at all Tim. But if missing effects or other stuff if you find it's missing just yell.. and can send you a set of effects etc if needed.