Author Topic: Moving RTMM from P3DV4 to P3DV5 using XML method  (Read 4083 times)

gregmorin

Moving RTMM from P3DV4 to P3DV5 using XML method
« on: April 19, 2020, 06:39:09 AM »
I installed my complete RTMM instalation in P3DV5 by simply moving the Misty Moorings folder from P3DV4 addons folder and copying it in the P3DV5 addons folder in my documents. Big advantage of using the XML method with the free Lorby-SI addon manager.

Greg

kaha

Re: Moving RTMM from P3DV4 to P3DV5 using XML method
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:08:22 AM »
Greg, yes, that works!

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:38:22 AM »
Right on.  Just have an on those 3rd party apps for scenery entries ie: Lorby-SI addon manager or similar sim-start type apps and keep checking them. Lorby applies their own layer lines as layer assignments which may totally mess up your intended scenery layering and so does Orbx Central and it can also totally mess up your intended layering as it uses some of the same Lorby layering components. All to say - if you use it just keep an eye on it and if no problems-that's a bonus!

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Har336

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 12:05:01 PM »
How about those RTMM effects and sound files? Can they be managed by xml method? or simply copy and pasted into Effects and Sound folders as was done in P3D V4?

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 01:34:42 PM »
Either Harry: You can include just about anything in the xml to be loaded:

IE:

<AddOn.Component>
          <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
     </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Gauges</Category>
        <Path>Gauges</Path>
     </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
       <Category>SimObjects</Category>
       <Path>Simobjects\Airplanes</Path>
       <Name>RTMM Simobjects Airplanes</Name>
     </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
       <Path>Simobjects\Animals</Path>
       <Name>RTMM Simobjects Animals</Name>
     </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
       <Path>Simobjects\Boats</Path>
       <Name>RTMM Simobjects Boats</Name>
     </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
       <Path>Simobjects\GroundVehicles</Path>
       <Name>RTMM Simobjects Ground Vehicles</Name>
     </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
       <Category>Sound</Category>
       <Path>Sound</Path>
     </AddOn.Component>

(I'm current building)...

OR you can edit locations to be included by using the p3d cfg files:

Which are located in:
 C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  or
 C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

IE The Effects.cfg file >> 

[Entry.0]
PATH=Effects
TITLE=Default Effects   << Default in your sim
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true

then add:
[Entry.1]
PATH=D:\Addons\Effects     <<< Add-on folder for Effects: now this will also load effects
TITLE=Addon Effects (P)
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

So the effects.cfg looks like this:

[Entry.0]
PATH=Effects
TITLE=Default Effects
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true
[Entry.1]
PATH=P:\Addons\Effects
TITLE=Addon Effects (P)
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Save and voila.

Can do the exact same with: creating additional add-on locations for: any or all of the following from the default locations:

autogen.cfg
fonts.cfg
gauges.cfg
scenery.cfg  (<<< your sim library)
scripts.cfg
simobjects.cfg
sound.cfg
weather.cfg

Har336

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 01:47:31 PM »
Hi, Norm,

Thanks for your explanation. I am really clueless when it comes to computers and software. So I kinda know what you are saying, but really don't understanding very well at the end of the day, if you know what I am saying. Maybe I will just wait for you to build the add-on package for RTMM and then distribute it? That certainly would be wonderful and a great help for our community.

canadagoose

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
Hi Thanks for starting this Thread. I have RTMM, according to Lorby_SI showing Light green, so it is in the scenery.cfg file, I did not install using the xml method, so I assume I cannot copy over the folder to P3Dv5?
Regards,
Tom

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 11:12:12 PM »
Well you don't really have to copy over the folder(s) - All depends how you initially set it up. If it's embedded in your v4 root sim, you'll never be able to get rid of v4x - so you might as well do a re-do and place all in common folders like a add-on structure then you can share the scenery, effects, gauges, air traffic files, sound files between the two sims. 

Not sure if Lorby add-on organizer has that type of technology to read and share between two sims but just be very careful with that app and other's similar like sim starter etc and even central - all of which can mess up your scenery order which result in incorrect scenery layering.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 04:14:12 PM »
Hi Norm,

Can you explain more about the potential of Lorby's utility messing up scenery order.  What caveats do the users need to watch out for so that they are not suddenly suprised by a scenery order mix up? Given proper user operation a mix up should not be possible unless the utilities have bugs.

Rod

kaha

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 05:57:53 PM »
A good part of the problem lies in the xml method itself.

Imagine you have 10 different addons and you order it to your needs using the old scenery method, just adding the addons and then reordering them.

If all addons use the xml method you have to order them by stating a "layer" number in the .xml file.

What if different vendors use the same layer number in their addons?
ORBX, using ORBX Central, can give its scenery addons different layers all the time.

With V5 and ORBX using the xml method I found it much more difficult to order things as I want them to be ordered. Maybe Norm is right saying that the best method would be to have the insertion points as .xml addons.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

xxd09

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
Has anybody gone ahead and installed the RTMM libraries as single folders and then an airstrip or two and seen if they work?
xxd09

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »
Layers numbers Rod. Each scenery add-on can be assigned an auto entered line of code which assigns a layer # to that or each add-on in the scenery.cfg which overrides the intended scenery layering order which, depending on the layer and the other scenery pieces that are supposed to be at that layer may be out of their slot. If that makes any sense. Hard to explain but let's say if a lib folder is pushed above a scenery piece then correct layering maybe affected. Just have to make sure that that the specific pieces stay in their intended scenery blocks. Position or layering is especially critical when using 3rd party mesh, 3rd party land class pieces and/or top level 3rd party scenery pieces added either by scenery.cfg or add-on.xml.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 08:02:18 PM »
Has anybody gone ahead and installed the RTMM libraries as single folders and then an airstrip or two and seen if they work?
xxd09

Yep. It called a consolidated library.. the instructions to set it up are in the libs file part I if I recall. But app-med libs and bwep lib should be separate and sit above the main libs.. then the rest of the add-on scenery pieces sit above all the libs.. works perfect.

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 11:05:03 PM »
.xml in my opinion is the ONLY way to handle RTMM.  I have had to do two installations in the past week....v4.5 a do over and v5 which is a work in progress. But for those that are not into .xml, I loaded the entire RTMM library, Objects....everything in less than 5 min.  There just isn't another way. 
Henry

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 11:24:39 PM »
A good part of the problem lies in the xml method itself.

Imagine you have 10 different addons and you order it to your needs using the old scenery method, just adding the addons and then reordering them.

If all addons use the xml method you have to order them by stating a "layer" number in the .xml file.

What if different vendors use the same layer number in their addons?
ORBX, using ORBX Central, can give its scenery addons different layers all the time.

With V5 and ORBX using the xml method I found it much more difficult to order things as I want them to be ordered. Maybe Norm is right saying that the best method would be to have the insertion points as .xml addons.

Karl

V5 uses both methods - scenery added by scenery.cfg, and many other cfg files and many other addons now by xml. It true xml is not ideal for layering if you require a specific order. If you don't need an specif order and the pile just goes on top it's really not an issue. But it does become an issue with pieces with different layering components; IE, a land class component, then an add-on scenery piece (IE: Higher) that has to be above Lower.! (tongass for ecample.

True that add-on scenery can be added conventionally ie: scenery.cfg or by add-on.xml. And the best way all depends on where it has to be placed. If in the gut or body of the scenery blocks, or if a user is frequently adding scenery it might be easier using scenery.cfg: IE Tongass, Mesh, any global add-ons, 3rd party scenery that might require specific positioning, perhaps libs that have to fire before the add-on scenery, or photo-scenery loading for an area before it's land-class type scenery is loaded but it can be done as xml.
Other scenery add-ons that simply layer on top is xml easy to do and you don't have to worry about order - unless there is specific layering requirement: IE: world scenery at layer 3. (but that is not complex because layer 3 is almost at the bottom of the scenery order - but it still has to be specified in the xml.   

Other add-ons when installed can be scenery, simobjects or effects (or just about any other type of add-on!). All devs don't necessarily use the same layer - all depends where the scenery components should be placed in what blocks of the scenery order. 

Yes you can have many entries per layer.. IE:  Like all world scenery entries should be placed at layer 3. And many scenery pieces have a scenery-world-scenery component. (layer 3 is 3rd from the bottom of the order). 

If the scenery is correctly categorized and layered for world scenery at layer 3 they all stack in that layer and are loaded in alpha order. So although there could be many items at layer 3 as defined by the add-on.xml for each, they all are loaded one by one in that layer 3 block: that is after default layer 1 and 2 are loaded but before any layer 4's are loaded (which includes layer 4 [Area.004] in your scenery.cfg.

A long post to say there is many parts or pieces to this stuff but really there are no hard rules here. A combination of xml (add-on.xml, add-on.cfg, dll.xml etc and/or scenery.cfg for scenery, and/or using effects.cfg, gauges,cfg, simobjects.cfg, sound.cfg, etc to define additional paths and links to the various supporting components at other than the default sim locations etc - which can also works well for some stuff if an user is so inclined: but this is not exactly novice stuff here as it takes time to learn to become familiar with the various sim components and it's various triggers.

But then scenery.cfg methods do work too just just that the code is defined in the scenery.cfg rather than a xml.  But if the xml add-ons is correctly designed, tested and proven then the end user just has to download it, extract it if necessary and install or simply paste that add-on folder into the default p3d add-ons folder - DONE! Then fire up the sim and enable: simple and very fast to do - and it works without issues.

Norm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:19:05 AM by nbrich1 »