Author Topic: P3Dv5  (Read 2432 times)

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
P3Dv5
« on: April 15, 2020, 08:41:11 PM »
While taking a break from working on the web site, I downloaded Prepar3Dv5 and tried installing RTMM via .xml files.  It seems to be working great.  While building the .xml file is time consuming the installation was less than three minutes for the entire RTMM object Libraries, all airports and all seasonal files. 

ORBX central is upgraded and works fine with v5.  I suggesting an installation that is out of sim (.xml they just aren't calling it that)

The sim loads much quicker.  FSUIPC6 is available and the process is quick and not expensive if you already have FSUIPC5. Less than $10 and WELL worth it.  Track IR coupled in as soon as FSUIPC6 loaded.  Airplanes are next....I will install them via .xml as well.

Anyway, so far, I think this one is a winner.

Henry

Doc_Z

Re: P3Dv5
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 01:41:11 PM »
Where do I find the method to create ,xml files for RTMM libraries, etc.  Also, does TongassX work in v5?

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »
Karl says Tongass works on P3Dv5x. NOTE: You still need to manually put in the 40 tongass terrain entries into the  terrain.cfg for it to correctly layer (the same as you have to do Tongass for all earlier versions of P3D)- many make sure you updated the AI models for use in P3Dv4x and 5x.

There is no RTMM add-on that is done by xml method posted anywhere on the site but to each their own.
There are many FSX users here who can't/don't use xml method  but many here who do use currently use P3Dv4x and many, (some of which are already in progress) will migrate over to the new P3Dv5 and run in parallel to P3Dv4x then eventually totally switch over to P3Dv5x (and other might just wait for MS2020).

I am starting to work on my putting stuff together in add-on.xml format for most things.. some scenery, simobjects etc. Not hard, just takes a bit of time to set up.

Norm

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:26:28 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Doc_Z

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:32:22 PM »
Time is not a problem these days.   I was looking for a tutorial sort of thing on how to put things into the xml format. 

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:40:16 PM »
There are several methods for .xml installations.  I found a NZ web site that makes it a 3 min. installation for most airplanes.  If you take the time to do the same thing for RTMM, the process will make a reinstallation of the entire library less than 5 min.   The biggest advantage in my opinion is that it is also easy to turn on or off the addition.  A good example, I installed a PC-12 into P3Dv5 today....it worked fine just no pointers on the gauges, so I ran the script to remove....done....as there was no impact to my newly installed v5 installation.  ORBX has already gone to an .xml installation, they just aren't calling it that and they don't tell you that it is a better installation, but if you install to a folder rather than the install, that is just what it is.  And BTW TFJ works fine in v5.  ORBX Central works fine with v5, it updates on the first run since the update was available.
Hope all of this helps.
Henry

kaha

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 03:48:05 AM »
Yes, Tongass works, here are 2 additional screenshots.

As ORBX now uses the xml method, things have complicated. I find it rather difficult to maintain the correct position for Tongass now.

That scenery library is a real mess.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

kaha

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 04:11:36 AM »
Here is a comparison between V4.5 and V5. Colors are of course different.

Karl

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
I can confirm TongassX works in v5. Have it install the old way via scenery.cfg.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

nbrich1

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 10:59:38 AM »
Speaking of old ways vs new ways. Tongass seems to be easier that way (via scenery.cfg that is)
but nothing is easier than an xml for Tongass would be if correctly built. (And built once). True we still need the 40 terrain entries manually applied to the terrain.cfg but the rest would be a snap. SO.. I have started on a Tongass add-on xml mod for myself - (and know that to layer correctly will have to assign layer# for both higher and lower to sit those entries between Orbx OpenLC and the ORBX Regions/Airports for correct layering). (with higher above lower!) but I'll be playing with it today.

As as well am putting together and will test my own add-on xml version for all the RTMM stuff for use in P3D (v4 and greater) even though the same results are seen whether using scenery.cfg or add-on xml.

But P3D users have the ability to use the xml technology to create add scenery pieces, effects, gauges, sounds, simobjects etc using an add-on.xml (or two) and once done - it will not only be easy to add to your sim but to remove.  Xml method in P3D, over all, is much faster and a cleaner way to add items to your sim (That is after the add-on package is built).

Nothing is easier than a simple drag and drop into the default add-ons folder or installing an add-on there.. and it is done. And a minute later - it's all set up in your sim - an easy to enable or turn it off in a flash! and it doesn't effect the integrity of the sim whatsoever.

(Anyways for me - I also have to be progressive and stay up on the all of the pc stuff as well as the sims/and the associated technologies so am able to assist others in fixing or troubleshooting issues).   
But this is just P3Dx so far..

Behind the scenes somewhere might be MSFS2020? sometime? So more technology coming down the pipeline perhaps? someday! .

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:54:20 AM by nbrich1 »

kaha

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »
Norm, keep in mind, that layer numbers in ORBX addon-xmls may change every time you go to ORBX Central.

Karl

nbrich1

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 12:00:33 PM »
Yep your correct Karl.. might have to change the layer # again sometime if there is more LC additions changes.. we'll just have to see. Like maybe it's not worth if for the scenery entries - maybe the the world scenery, the simobjects, sound, effects  but will play with it. 

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »
After loading v5 on day one my first impression was it was much better....better loading, better graphics, better direct.  Now are having "little" problems.  Bottom line, my 4.5 works very very well....advice might be dragging your feet on v5.  It will be there, just not now.  I am not interested in the HotFix for 4.5, really adds nothing and I would not even consider the proposed Microsoft offering.
Henry

Har336

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »
Regarding the layers # in add-on xml file, it is not required. That means if we put multiple scenery package as addon components in one xml file, the layers of these scenery packages will be in the order the components are written. So one possibility is to include all add-on scenery, such as ORBX and RTMM, into a single xml file, and edit it like scenery.cfg file. We can switch layers by rearranging the order of components.

Another possibility is to have several xml files, like one for ORBX, and one for RTMM, and assign one layer number for each xml file, e.g.  ORBX as layer #300, and RTMM as layer #600. In this way all RTMM packages will be treated like sub layers on layer #600 in the order they are written in xml files.

Let me know if my understanding is incorrect. Help is always appreciated.

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 09:43:46 PM »
Har336,
Most folks aren't installing RTMM scenery via xml despite the fact that Lockheed Martin recommends this course of action.  As far as the layers it doesn't matter BUT you must create a dummy file to instal so that ORBX central can identity the correct file for the insertion point.  There is no doubt that this is the way to go, I just installed all of the RTMM scenery in less than 5 minutes.
Henry

nbrich1

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 07:35:30 AM »
Yes Harry. Exactly, almost. One xml would for RTMM- if built correctly, starting with the base components and base scenery, specify layers for their insertion layer into the scenery order (IE: specifing layer 3 or WORLD for world-pieces), layer 20 ish or GLOBAL for global texture placement but yes works. But the only drawback is that IF all is in ONE xml for all of the pieces, you can turn it off or on. but ALL have to be off or all have to be on- there is no option to turn off certain pieces and keep others one. So if you want that flexibility there is none so you pick what you might want OFF. (and build those as separate xml so you can turn them off or on).

Not everybody wants all the pieces while others would want the entire RTMM package,, every scenery, every enhancement built and all of it either ON when being use, or OFF when not in use.

Henry is absolutely correct - RTMM or 3rd part add-ons still MUST be placed above ORBX (FTX-Regions and Airports) as an insertion point and you can't do that with an add-on.. but you can easily make a scenery entry IE: Third Party Start\scenery  and us that scenery entry as the top insertion point which ensures that RTMM add-on stays on top.     

Now if you also did a tongass xml, you have to set it layer IE: 159-160 to put it inbetween OpenLC and Orbx reiongs & airports. That's is where is has to be placed.  (This is in lieu of using tongass low as the bottom insertion point. But to set up the scenery blocks correctly - you still have to set a bottom insertion point for correct layering.  So create another scenery entry called - openLC add-ons\scenery (or anything like that) so you can set the bottom insertion to it. 
"Orbx openLC placed below that "openLC add-on" scenery entry which creates the correct blocks for layering.

DONE.

Everyone does all this stuff differently, honesty there is no exact right way to do anything. Some don't work well with xml, while others do and there is some add-ons you want ON all the time - so fix them, but some not and although xml can turn things on or off- they are static, unmovable while other methods offer more flexibly. Anyways, to each their own way.