Author Topic: Site Operations  (Read 1734 times)

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
Site Operations
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »
Update:  Due to increased activity and the preservation of our historical data, we have exceeded our server plan causing the web site to crash.  In our case the solution was an easy one and we have increased the space on the Server......yep, just throw money at it.

The good news is that I am doing a migration at the moment and the site should be back up in about an hour or before 10 AM Arizona time (mountain standard time)

Both Norm and are sorry for the slight interruption, but we are good to go for the future!

Best,
Henry

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Site Operations
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
Thank you!   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

av8erjm

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »
OK silly question, what would one donate to keep the site up n' running

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
Well here is the skinny.  Every server hosing service has several levels of service....some of which is the amount of storage, bandwidth and memory.  Since we started out small, we had a small level of service....now we are bigger.  We now have a little more than two years of data that we keep...some of which is relevant as in the total pilot hours, and some isn't like historical bids.  But we can't have one without the other.

The only part in this process that I wasn't happy about is that our service host provider gave us no warning that we were nearing some hard limits.  Had they done that, we could have upgraded the site without a service interruption.  As it was, we were notified that we had exceeded our level of service and suspended the account because of the overage.  It seem rather obvious that a notification a week or two ago would have eliminated the entire problem.

Now then, although we don't have a donation page per se, and donations earmarked for MFC have been processed though RTMM.  And we thank those that have made donations.  In the future you will see a donation link on MFC which will directly go to our linked PayPal account.  It is our intention then to disclose the donations (amounts only) and the expenses of operating the website.  For now I can tell you that the direct operational costs are a little over $400 per year.  I am sure in the coming years we will have to increase costs by adding additional security. But that is down the road for now.  I hope this gives you the insight you requested.
Henry

av8erjm

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 12:42:05 PM »
Yes and thank you, will wait for advisement

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
As soon as we are up and running, we will have a link.  Thank you so much for your support.
Henry