Author Topic: Windows Firewall Goofy address  (Read 2393 times)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Windows Firewall Goofy address
« on: April 08, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
Hello fellow flyers,
     Has anyone else encountered this? ???  Is it a valid format?  It doesn't cause any issues, and doesn't always pop up.  Choosing allow or cancel makes no visible difference to the sim.  My sim is on my "Q" drive, not "P", so there's that too.   ???

(Sorry for the intrusive watermark.  Photobucket has "teabagged me" for bandwidth limits.  The fix will cost $13/month more than I already pay.)

Under the watermark, the address reads: P:0\Lockheed Martin\ ...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:04:37 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Windows Firewall Goofy address
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 10:30:29 PM »
Yes you usually want to allow access thru windows firewall (your own Private network). Allowing this only opens a port to your own local network and other apps that support the sim or connections to/from the sim to those apps:  Do you have anything sim related that resides on the P:\drive? (Or did you used to have anything there which some references may still be in your registry? 
If you allow, then the firewall will be set to your own local network- and that pop-up won't appear again. 

Photobucket? Toast it! There are many photo hosting sites out there that are free: from Imgur to screencast.com, to google etc
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:11:01 AM »
but the point isn't that I have a P:\ drive, it's that the address contains an extra character, either *Oh or zero, between the colon and backslash. P:0\ is not proper, is it?  Why have the round character in there.  Also, the rest of the address is P:0\Lockheed Martin\prepar3d v4\prepar3d.exe which is my sim's executable on the Q: drive.

*Sorry, I don't know if it's a zero or letter O.  It looks more slender, like the zero. (0 not O) 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »
Hmm ok Jeff... Well this sounds like NOT the usual firewall windows security alert to allow an apps through your local firewall network. Not P and usually character - might be a trojan or scam ? Will search the topic online - Like it looks like a valid form as per Windows 10 but might not be. If it's not a valid it had to been installed at one time or another - and have to find the source for it running. May check the control panel in the programs/features and search for a strange entry. 

Google: windows false firewall security alert
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^