Author Topic: MFC0032 - airstrip at Hollis?  (Read 4051 times)

kaha

MFC0032 - airstrip at Hollis?
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:08:49 AM »
Hello,

I think I need some help concerning landing at Hollis (leg 3). I cannot find a land mooring there. This would mean that I need an amphibian for MFC0032?

Or can I change plane for leg 3?

Thx,
Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: MFC0032 - airstrip at Hollis?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 06:57:47 AM »
Hello,

I think I need some help concerning landing at Hollis (leg 3). I cannot find a land mooring there. This would mean that I need an amphibian for MFC0032?

Or can I change plane for leg 3?

Thx,
Karl

There is a very small and short strip at Hollis and there is lots of water to land too in an amphibian.

Here is a pic of Hollis Harbor area: (Rod's scenery pic)
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 07:14:20 AM »
Now to change your aircraft from one that was chosen when you started the tour can be done from cigar box for any leg:.

-Load the bid as usual
-Go to the Aircraft Information window
- Select the aircraft in Aircraft Information from the scroll box
- Load that aircraft (Click Load) (You'll see the updated Registration ID changed).
- Start flight.
The rest is as usualy to end and file the flight. 

(I cleaned up the Aircraft ICAO's and clarified their naming quite a while ago so it should be much easier for you to find the correct aircraft that you want to use for the flight leg) - (and it is changeable for any leg).

Not hard at all: Here are the pics of cigar box:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:17:55 AM by nbrich1 »

kaha

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 07:46:39 AM »
Thank you, Norm.

Hmm... I do not see the short track at Hollis (I have installed the latest update dated V2.1 06.21.2019).

What do I miss here?

Karl

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
In 2019, a new Part IV of the RTMM Libs was done (By Steve) which updates parts of the previous Lib Parts:
I, II, III and adds a new part part IV piece. This updated file (IV) takes much of the textures out of the actual add-on scenery pieces and put them into the RTMM Object libraries textures so it maybe best to check your libraries pieces.  The RTMM Object libraries are bigger now where as the size of the actual add-on scenery pieces is smaller.

Direct link to the libs page: https://www.return.mistymoorings.com/object_libraries_build/#objlib

(The files are @ 1/2 way down on that page.)

1. All to say - important to have the new RTMM Object Libs part IV in and correctly setup as well as
Hollis set up correctly along with ORBX PFJ and Tongass X in as they are also required for correct display at for Hollis Harbor.   (and since you haven't flown for a year or so - one cause of your issue could be the outdated libs.

PS: There is a variance piece in the Hollis Harbor add-on scenery piece (which is the Ketchikan IFA Office & Dock). The version to be used depends if you have ORBX Region PFJ only or ORBX Region PFJ PLUS the ORBX Payware PAKT Ketchikan Airport. (See Rod's comprehensive Hollis Harbor User Guide V2.1.pdf which describes and outlines everything).

Now there may be another problem. Tongass updated for P3Dv4x and layering.

2. Tongass for P3Dv4x.

I know you use P3Dv4 so make sure you have Tongass in plus all the fixes for P3Dv4x. and even more importantly the 40 terrain entries for Tongass which must be manually added to the terrain.cfg file that is found in the hidden system folder:  C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
(For convenience: just backup your current terrain.cfg file the pop in the attached terrain.cfg into the C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 folder and OVERWRITE. (That will ensure you have all the correct terrain.cfg entries required for the terrain to correctly layer.

3. Sim wise you have to ensure that the scenery blocks are correctly setup by setting the ORBX Central insertion points. If 1. and 2 are fine, then this is your issue. The layering blocks are not correct so the landclass is over top of the scenery. So to fix that: re-set and check your ORBX Central insertion points:
So here is the "How to"

Open the ORBX Central (latest version 4.1.1)
Go to settings > Insertion point > and check then reset the insertion points as follows:

Top insertion point:
Orbx Regions and Airports entries must be placed below the the base RTMM libs (depending how you did your libraryies) or below your 1st 3rd party add-on scenery. (ALL ORBX regions and airports have to go below your RTMM libs and below all the other rtmm add-on scenery pieces.

Bottom insertion point:
Orbx openLC entries must be placed below Tongass Lower priority.

Legacy Layering should be checked.

Once done it should save.
In the settings page go to the Help tab >> sync scenery. Then sync scenery again!. Then view the scenery.cfg.

Layering bottom up as viewing that scenery.cfg should be like the chart below. (Note: You can move things around within the scenery blocks as viewed in your sim scenery library for further sequencing as required.
IE: RTMM Libs Folder go below the RTNN add-on Scenery folders). But the scenery blocks have to be established by setting the ORBX Central insertion points. (The only reason we do this is because ORBX Central is AUTO-adding the scenery entries to your sim scenery.cfg and it needs to know where to put them!). If you don't set them where you need them, it puts all the Orbx Regions and Airports on top and puts the Orbx openLC right below that which buries any 3rd party add-on scenery you might have installed.

Hope this helps?

Norm

The pics below give you the placement of the blocks.. with 3rd party scenery add-ons (for the most Part) being on top. (The bottom pic is a bit older but still shows where the blocks should be placed in the lib.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:24:18 AM by nbrich1 »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 11:11:36 AM »

Can't find the dry landing stip at Hollis? Here is an excerpt from the Hollis User Guide:

Summer
Summer is here and Hollis is full of activity...or at least it is as busy as it gets.  Each year, some of the local fliers who have grown tired of bouncing on the water, take advantage of the dry summer and clear out the brush on a flat area north of Harris River Bay.  It is there that they resurrect a temporary airfield that is just dirt and grass.  The dirt "runway" is almost 2000 feet and they even erect a washed out windsock until the Fall rains set in.

The dry landing strip is only there when Season Switcher is set to summer.

Rod

kaha

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »
Thank you, Rod. I do not have the season switcher working yet, so I manually changed the files. Now its there.

Norm, I used your kind explanations to recheck all my settings. Everything looks good!

Thank you all,
Karl

kaha

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 12:07:44 PM »
Will be a challenge for my Curtiss!

Karl

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
Will be a challenge for my Curtiss!

Karl

;D ;D ;D  Yes, a challenge.  Video please.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:04:26 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

kaha

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 03:40:04 AM »
Here it is. Had to do it again for taking the video.

https://vimeo.com/405739970

Everything has to fit. Low fuel because of weight, low speed, just over stall speed and touch down at threshhold.

Try it, it really is exciting!

Karl

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 08:08:06 AM »
Very nice.  Thanks.

I did try it.  Landing was tricky, slowing down before that hill at the far end.  Taking off again was scary though.  I was sitting as far back as possible on the runway.  Full throttle and then release brakes.  Tail up asap, then two notches of flaps as I near the end.  I just hit take off speed as the ground fell away from my wheels.  Whew!

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

kaha

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Yes, I even positioned the plane to face to the right a bit so I don't need to use right brake too much for steering until rudder comes in.

I needed 3 starts until I was able to take off.

Karl