Author Topic: Only landclass in Tongass area  (Read 3118 times)

John

Only landclass in Tongass area
« on: March 15, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
Hi all, I have no water showing in TFX area, only land.  Checked terrain.cfg and the TFX 40 are there numbered 0-39.  Should they be numbered 1-40?  If so, will the other 1100+ have to be renumbered also?  And does it matter where TFX is placed in terrain.cfg?  Don't know how to handle this type of situation :o  :-\  Any help appreciated  :D

John

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Only landclass in Tongass area
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
Hi John,
     You've been using your sim already.  What has changed to cause this issue?  Have you installed something recently?  Is your insertion point still set correctly?  Is TFX in the right spot in your library?  Is Orbx Central up to date?  Sooo many questions?   :o :P ::)  ;D

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 10:51:38 PM »
John as I recall you run FSX-SE right?

Those 40 terrain entries for Tongass only apply or are used in the P3Dv4x terrain.cfg and are NOT used to run Tongass in FSX boxed or FSX-SE.

I suspect the actual problem, might be ORBX Central making a mess of your scenery layering and burying your 3rd party scenery. Insertion points have to be reset to establish the correct layering blocks.

Go into your ORBX central > settings >> insertion points: and set as follows:

Orbx regions and airport entries must be placed below RTMM LIBS   
and
OpenLC entries must be placed below Tongass Lower Priority.

Then under the settings Help tab >> use the sync to apply to your scenery library (scenery.cfg).

Let us know how this goes. Orbx Central has made of mess of many scenery lib and layering especially when it comes to 3rd party scenery pieces.

How this helps John.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

John

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 05:36:45 PM »
Norm, you nailed it!  I removed the 40 entries from terrain.cfg, reset insertion points, synced FSX-SE and repaired TFX.  All looks right now ;) thanks for your great insight ;D

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:31:35 PM »
Thats great John.. back in business!.

Norm

av8erjm

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
Going thru the same problems with my rebuild I've spent a couple of days now trying to get Orbx Central 4.11 to talk to FSX. When I sync the two I keeps putting the two Tongass folders back at the top

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 09:45:51 AM »
Go into your ORBX central > settings >> insertion points: and set as follows:

Orbx regions and airport entries must be placed below RTMM LIBS   
and
OpenLC entries must be placed below Tongass Lower Priority.

Then Close Central.

Then do it all again.. and then Help > Sync.

(I found that the 1st time doesn't always save).

Keep doing it until it saves. (Make sure you run ORBX Central as admin)

av8erjm

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 07:54:34 PM »
Norm, did everything as stated, everything in the Orbx Central is as it should be, went into the FSX settings  scenery page and everything looks as it should but still seeing trees and terrain where I should see water.If I disalllow the two Tongass folders it corrects itself, so right now thinkin' something is corrupted in the Tongass folders. Oh well tomorrow is another day. Look on Orbx tomorrow for vectors and if FSADDON  will accept my registration maybe find an answer there

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 07:38:26 AM »
Hmmm ok Jim. But Tongass just a straight simple install into FSX. There is no fixing of anything after install except the insertion points in ORBX Central. Most scenery files themselves don't usually get corrupted - it's the configuration files - In your case possibly the FSX terrain.cfg file got corrupt for some reason (ORBX entries can do that) from the Open landclass installs creating entries in your terrain.cfg so it could be the terrain.cfg that could be the culprit here.

1. Is ORBX Central is failing to hold your saved insertion points? You would be able to see that in your sim scenery library: check your layering from the bottom up.  (your sim scenery library should match the layering pic below). (If not Check your insertion points again. Use ORBX Central Sync to sync your scenery library and re-check in your FSX scenery library. If all good, start up the sim and check a few Tongass locations).

2. If the scenery layers are in the correct order, then you have to rule out either the Tongass scenery files issue, (which I doubt) or more suspect a corrupt or lacking terrain.cfg that controls the terrain placement.
If you have the same land class issues for Tongass, then try uninstalling Tongass completely and then do a reinstall, re-setup the insertion points in ORBX Central and give it another whirl- which would hopefully fix the Tongass scenery if there was any corruption in your scenery files themselves and also possibly fix your terrain.cfg.

3. Now there is another side of this: a corrupt terrain.cfg file. This file entries control the placement of land class, water class. Orbx puts a lot in to the terrain.cfg with the FTX Global and North American Open LC entries and so does Tongass entries. So if corrupt would mess up your land/water classes.

If the same issues after the Tongass reinstall in 2. then will have to try to manually fix the terrain.cfg (which controls all of the terrain elements).   
A. Try verify files for the Orbx North America LC, ORBX Global, Vector if you have them as well as  ORBX Libs.

B. (The latest Orbx Central should have created a backup of your terrain.cfg (hopefully before your terrain.cfg problems).

I think your fsx terrain.cfg file should be located in folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X but if not you'll have to search for it. Anyways make a backup copy of your current terrain.cfg then use the terrain.cfg backup created by the latest orbx central and rename it to terrain.cfg. (This means whatever you installed after putting in ORBX central it may have to be reinstalled or files verified in ORBX Central as their entries might not have been present in that backup terrain.cfg. Using the old terrain.cfg: see if that fixes your Tongass. (You can always revert with the original terrain.cfg file backed up).

So a bit of troubleshooting to try to figure out the exact problem in either the layering of the scenery library,  Tongass issue itself, Orbx central and/or the terrain.cfg entries. (I suspect the issue maybe in the terrain.cfg if your layering is correct). Give it a shot if you can.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:59:55 AM by nbrich1 »

John

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »
Jim, I have Win7 and what I think helped me some was I went to Control panel/Programs and Features/Tongass.  When I clicked change it gave me an option to Repair.  I selected repair and it ran awhile maybe 5 min.  But, anyway I think it did something to help ;D just a thought.

John

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 10:29:35 PM »
Jim is all fixed up. The latest install of Tongass fixed/added the correct tongass entries in the FSX terrain.cfg. Land class and terrain looking good again Jim says.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:57:24 AM by nbrich1 »

John

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 11:52:00 PM »
That's great,  problems like that are no fun at all  :o

av8erjm

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »
John agreed, it either gives you gray hair or no hair  at all LOL

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
I have none these days!.