Author Topic: RTMM eSwitcher  (Read 4190 times)

Darryl Rott

RTMM eSwitcher
« on: March 01, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »
Hi guys.  New to the area.  FSX : Windows 10, all working great except .....
Just installed everything... objects are where they should be confirmed with the Object Tester, etc.

My Add on Scenery Structure is...
Add On Scenery
     Misty's Place
     Alaska North
     Alaska South
     .... libraries

eSwitcher is in the "Add On Scenery Folder".  When I click to run it, the opening screen pops up and then disappears and nothing more happens.

Any help or direction you could give would be great.

Thanks
Darryl

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: RTMM eSwitcher
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »
Hi Darryl,

This is the first report I have seen where the eSwticher starts and just disappears.  Let's see if the RTMM eSwitcher.exe file will run on your desktop so we can get more data.   Copy just the RTMMeSwitcher.exe file to your desktop and run it....it should show an initial start box that says at the bottom:

Please wait.....
Checking RTMM scenery and restoring last season set

then that box is quickly overlaid by a message that says:

Unable to find current season settings.  The RTMM eSwicher is either being run for the first time or the settings file is mssing.  The season will be set to the default of 'NoSeason' which you can change after confirming this message.  A settings file will be created when the RTMM eSwitcher is closed.

Then the app waits for you to click on the OK button.  (note: at the same time a RTMM eSwitcher log.txt file appears on the desktop)

Can you get this far?

If so, click on OK and a larger box with a Warning message that missing season maps were detected displays over the top of the smaller start box and should be waiting for you to click on OK. 

Does the app get that far?

If so, click on OK and see if the full app opens up.  You should also have two files added to your desktop the RTMM eSwitcher Log.txt file which I already mentioned and the curseasonset.xml file.

Once your done with the test or want to run the test agian make sure you delete the two files that were created on your desktop by the app.

Let me know the results of each of the steps mentioned above.

Thanks,

Rod

Darryl Rott

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 10:01:25 PM »
Hi Rod.   

THANK YOU so much for the response.  Ok so I ran the .exe as you said and if appeared to run through the entire script from the desktop.  I ran it as "Winter"  Set the date for Feb 17.

Out of interest, I opened FXS to see if anything had changed and ……………. no.

So.... now where?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
And thanks again!
Darryl

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 10:22:04 PM »
Hi Darryl,

Ok, so sounds like the App does work on your system when run from the Desktop.  Of course, that was just a test to verify that it worked on your system and for you to see it operate.  Based on the folder structure you identified in your first post, the RTMMeSwitcher.exe file needs to be placed inside your Add On Scenery folder.  If that is where you had it before make sure you delete the old RTMM eSwitcher Log.txt file and the old curseasonset.xml file which should also be in the Add On Scenery folder.   That will give you a clean start.   

Run the RTMMeSwitch.exe file that is now in your Add On Scenery folder and let me know what happens.  I also want to know if it creates new versions of the RTMM eSwitcher Log.txt and the curseasonset.xml file.

Rod

Darryl Rott

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 01:16:30 PM »
Hi Rod....  Thanks again for your response.

I put the .exe. into the Add on Scenery File, ran it and we are back to the initial post.
That first little intro screen comes up for a 1/2 sec, disappears and then …. crickets.  Nothing.  No error message, no files are created …. nothing.

crazy eh?
Darryl

Penzoil3

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »
Bet his FSX is in C:\Program Files(x86). I also bet UAC is turned on. Bleeping Microsnot. Third bet, not running FSX or the switcher as admin...
Sue

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 03:20:27 PM »
Yup, right on, will lay odds that it is a virus scanner or such that is shutting it down.. !!
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 05:46:35 PM »
Hi Darryl,

Yes, it sounds like your FSX installation does not want to allow the app to have access.  Sue and Norm have provided some good ideas. Let us know what you find. 

Rod

Darryl Rott

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:13:01 AM »
Rod, Sue, Norm....

Its embarrassing.  Or maybe it's between embarrassing and having done/changed something different so it works.  Anyway...

Yes, FSX is in the Program x86 Folder.  Other than that I didn't really do anything else except run the .exe as Admin (which I thought I was doing).  None the less, sometimes just leaning on the support of great communities like this wakes us up.  It's all working.  Thank you for your guidance.  Thank your for your help.  And I don't blame you if you are rolling your eyes, but.... THANK YOU!

Hope to run into you all in the Lodge.

Darryl

robw

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 05:27:06 AM »
Hi,

I'm the developer of the eSwitcher, Rod asked me for my thoughts as I don't regularly monitor the forums here.

I think others may have identified the likely cause i.e. the app was effectively running from a Windows program files folder. This has always been potentially problematic since Windows 7 and earlier as Windows tries to protect these (and other system) folders from possible malware (virus) activity.

The eSwitcher does lots of file manipulation of the RTMM scenery files and the very fact it has code to do this may mean it is being blocked at start-up. It uses the Microsoft .NET Framework which has loads of built-in security features. However these can be hard to fine-tune when the install environment (i.e. the user's computer) can vary so much in how it is set up. A lot of commercial add-ons do require running as an administrator and installing outside of the program files folder for this reason.

Windows 10 just makes things harder as the built-in security is more robust that in Windows 7. I'm still using Windows 7 for my simming activities but do have access to a Windows 10 machine I can try this with to see if I can replicate the problem. I'll see what I can do but it might be that the RTMM scenery folders need to be outside of the FSX Addon Scenery folder as others have suggested.

One other thing - there may be some entries relating to the problem in the Windows event logs. If you are not sure how to view these maybe Rod could provide guidance? I'm thinking the security log as no visible error is being raised by the .NET runtime, although the application log might have something too.

Rob

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »
Rod, Sue, Norm....

Its embarrassing.  Or maybe it's between embarrassing and having done/changed something different so it works.  Anyway...

Yes, FSX is in the Program x86 Folder.  Other than that I didn't really do anything else except run the .exe as Admin (which I thought I was doing).  None the less, sometimes just leaning on the support of great communities like this wakes us up.  It's all working.  Thank you for your guidance.  Thank your for your help.  And I don't blame you if you are rolling your eyes, but.... THANK YOU!

Hope to run into you all in the Lodge.

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

Glad you got it working!

Rod