Author Topic: LinkShell Extentions  (Read 7507 times)

MFC0046

LinkShell Extentions
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:27:20 AM »
Does anyone know how to use "Link Shell Extensions" program to move F3Dv4 scenery folder from "C" SSD drive to "D" Data hard drive?

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: LinkShell Extentions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
This seems to explain it very well.

I've used a program called "Junction Link Magic" to link to other drives in the past. Pretty easy to use, but I don't know if it works in Windows 10. Never tried it on my Windows 10 machine.

There's also YouTube tutorials on how to create junction links using the command line. Doesn't look difficult.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 09:16:04 AM »
Although Link Shell Extension works, linking a folder to another folder (or drive) it is just another thing to try to set up and maintain. Here are two ORBX posts: the context and Nick's post on how to do it.. (This is concerning concerning ORBX scenery but it applies to any). In reality this method simply "fakes" the orbx and windows registry entries to read the location of the moved content.

The orbx posts:

The context:
https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/186967-how-to-move-fsxorbx-folder-to-folder-outside-of-fsx-folder/?tab=comments#comment-1619678

The how to:
https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/146877-using-a-symbolic-link-to-move-the-orbx-folder/

The Link Shell Extension program:
https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html (Freeware).
--------------------------------

BUT -  if you are just moving P3Dv4x scenery or you want to move other pieces over to an alternate location, you don't really need to use hardlinks to do this..

If you were moving programs, it would be better (and cleaner) to just reinstall the original programs, (save the data first): reinstall the programs on the other drive and reinsert the data (and your windows registry will be up to date and exactly correct without the use of symbolic or hardlinks). 

Now if you're simply moving add-on sim scenery folders/files or other folders from your P3Dv4x over to another drive you can do it in a flash (just cut/paste it over) then with the use of the scenery.cfg for scenery locations just change the path and your done. (Or edit the paths in the addon.xml if you use that method)

You can also move add-on simobjects, effects, gauges, fonts, sound, etc etc etc and add the paths to your P3Dv4x configs files IE: simobjects (Most of them work outside the sim folder), also can move addon effects, fonts, gauges, etc etc off your C:\ and move them all over to another drive and edit theire config files. (These config files are all located in your C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 folder.)

(Or reinstall your sim over to your other drive and have all your sim over there. (there is an easy way to save most everything in your new sim location).  "Lots of ways to skin this cat"

If you need a hand to do this - can give you a hand via teamviewer. Wouldn't take long to do at all and moving stuff off your C:\ drive will save you that critical space required for that OS drive. 

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Carl100

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
I would like to get everything off of C drive and installed on to the D drive.  I have uninstalled P3d and ready to reinstall.  PM me and we can see how you can help.  I don't know about teamviewer.  Thanks

MFC0046

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:02 AM »
I installed teamviewer

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »
There are some programs that have no option to install anywhere but the C:\ drive and symbolic links are the only way to move them. Also, with a smaller capacity SSD that's filling up moving things and then using symbolic links to point to them is the easiest way around reinstalling things. Don't discount the power and advantages of using them, as they certainly have their place in all kinds of situations without tedious and headaches of editing of config files.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

MFC0046

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 06:53:56 PM »
I used junction magic on my old FSX with no problems but it will not work on 64 bits. I tried to use link shell extensions and really messed everything up and gave up and uninstalled.  Looking for some help. I think it was Norm who said we could use the teamviewer thing and get me straightened out. Thanks for any help.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 07:06:15 AM »
No problem. will try to contact you early next week Carl.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^