Author Topic: windows reinstall problem  (Read 3787 times)

Lipra

windows reinstall problem
« on: February 09, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
I have had to reinstall windows 10 as my ssd failed. I have a recovery disk if required but when I installed the new os all I am left with is a new c drive all my other drives have been ignored and I am unsure how to get them back any advice would be appreciated. :-\

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: windows reinstall problem
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
Do the other drives show up in the list when you run windows disk management......just type in disk in the windows search box and that app should show up.

Rod

Lipra

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »
Hi Rod

Thanks for you reply, after a period of time the other drives suddenly became available. The only problem now is they have the wrong designation. I used disk management to change them and will now see if I can get anything to work. I may have to reinstall fsx but I am more hopeful that I will be able to salvage something.
I have been putting off a complete reinstall and now may be the time.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 04:06:06 PM »
Just ensure that you have the correct logical drives (drive Letters) set correctly for the exact same drives and you should have no problems.  (Disk Management). Right click on the drives and select "Drive Letter and paths" then select the Change button and scroll to the correct drive letter. Then OK. Once all done, they should all be good to go.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Lipra

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
Thanks Norm thats the option I used so lets hope all is ok

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 10:18:45 AM »
As long as the drive letters match the hard drive that you setup before, well that is half the battle.. the other half of the battle and the tougher one is to try to fix is the windows registry so the paths and associated program files to run the programs are restored.

That might take you to having to reinstall many of the programs so that they will work again: but have to reinstall to the same paths the original installations and that should allow any saved files usable. (All depends on where/what drive you installed the original. (Just take a backup of the original first (that is unless windows saved you one in the windows.OLD ). 

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Penzoil3

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
This comes in handy for fixing your registry entries. A great free tool.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18872/fsx-tweakfs-registry-utility-v121/

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 12:50:51 PM »
Wow, a cool registry repair tool for us flight simmers.

Remember, there's no better substitute for disk crashes, corruptions, accidental fatal deletions, etc., than regular, total and complete disk backups. There are many backup utilities out there. Find one and use it. Storage space for keeping your backups is dirt cheap these days. I recently bought a Western Digital 3 TB, external USB disk for $80. More disk backup storage than I'll ever need.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Lipra

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 01:53:47 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the help and advice.

FSX SE it now working OK so will use this for the time being. At some stage I should do a complete reinstall and consolidate to 2 drives not the 5 I have.

FSX is complaining about a registration problem will try and sort that but not a priority.

One day I will also get a decent back up in place but I would not put too much money on It.

Regards

Martin