Author Topic: RTMM without Tongass?  (Read 3218 times)

Sholay

RTMM without Tongass?
« on: January 02, 2020, 06:12:31 AM »
All,
I was trying to find an answer to this in the foums and all over internets but could not find definite answer.

So - can I successfully run RTMM content without Tongass Fjord? I do have whole bunch of ORBX addons. I did not plan to get Tongass as its install seems to be cumbersome in P3D 4.5. And yes, I know it can be done, I have seen all the manuals and tutorials. The thing is that now I have little time or flightsimming and I am all for spending this time flying. I do IT for a living, so moving files and editing cfg files is what I do while in the office ;)

Cheers and happy New Year!

Andrzej

dexthom

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: RTMM without Tongass?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »
If you manipulate files in your day job, why would the install of Tongass Fjords worry you?  If Tongass isn't installed, you won't have AI float traffic or scenery at Sitka etc.  You will have mesh problems between Orbx PNW and the default Tongass area.  You will not have the Tongass marine traffic.  A requirement of RTMM is the installation of Tongass Fjords.  If you do not meet that requirement, you with have a half of the donkey install.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:10:44 AM »
The definitive answer is clearly posted right on the RTMM Home Page, a stone's throw away:

"Listed below is the region scenery software [payware] necessary for the proper operation of RTMM scenery areas and AI traffic - without it, most scenery and AI simply will not work or scenery will not display as intended:
Tongass Fjords Area - "Tongass Fjords" by FSAddon *
Ketchikan Area - "Pacific Fjords" (PFJ) (ORBX Link)
Vancouver and BC Area -"Pacific Northwest (PNW) " (ORBX Link)
Juneau to Anchorage Area - "Southeast Alaska" (SAK) (ORBX Link)"

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Penzoil3

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »
" If you do not meet that requirement, you will have a half of the donkey install." That's just asinine...
LOL
 Sue

Sholay

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
If you manipulate files in your day job, why would the install of Tongass Fjords worry you?  If Tongass isn't installed, you won't have AI float traffic or scenery at Sitka etc.  You will have mesh problems between Orbx PNW and the default Tongass area.  You will not have the Tongass marine traffic.  A requirement of RTMM is the installation of Tongass Fjords.  If you do not meet that requirement, you with have a half of the donkey install.

Hehe, it does not worry me. It bothers me ;) As I explained in my initial post - I have only this amount of time weekly for FS and I took concious decision some time ago that I am done with playing with config for the rest of my life. There are side effects - I do not play Falcon 4.0 BMS whatever for example. Another one is Level-D B767.

If Tongass Fjords creators have no time/business reason/whatever to make it compatible with P3D 4.5, I conciously have to resign from part of the fun which is RTMM.

I do understand and have seen that Tongass Fjord is a requirement, otherwise I would not even ask my question here in the first place. After reading throught the site I assumed I am losing some features but it's likely it is still 'playable'. I can live without Sitka and AI ships and boats. But mesh issue - this is too much.
I was also hoping that this forum - like many for hardcore simmers - would be a bit more noob-friendly.

Thanks for helping me understand limitations of RTMM in both aspects.

Cheers
&

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
So sorry that you feel that this is not much of a "noob-friendly" site. I doubt that you'll honestly find any flightsimmer's site more friendly, knowledgeable, or almost instantly to respond to questions and troubleshooting issues anywhere. Let us know if you have anything else that we can help you with.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
Understand your decision not wanting to frig around with the cfg all the time like in previous sims but Tongass, which was made for use in FSX, takes only a few mins to set up for seamless and compatible use in P3Dv4x. We have a whole page dedicated to P3Dv4x on this site: 
LINK: https://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/index.php#5
so there is a very quick and easy reference available.

Tongass is only required for the locations inside the TONGASS Area. Outside the Tongass area, it is NOT even required!

PS: Tongass coverage area: 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:47:20 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »
     I would just like to add that it is extremely difficult to own a flight simulator program and not deal with config files.  The vanilla, OOBE sim is ok to start with.  But if you start adding ANYTHING, you've got to configure the sim to run it.
     Installing TFX is well worth the effort, for the improvements it brings to the area.  Not to mention the compatibility issues you'll face by trying not to use it.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 10:16:23 PM »
"c'est la vie"

Some people have their reasons and that's fine. I am sorry that we couldn't help convince them that we can help with the configuration and then they'd be good to go. But, when you work with files all the time, I can understand not wanting to mess with stuff like that in your free time.

We know we tried at least.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 11:23:36 PM »
Understand your decision not wanting to frig around with the cfg all the time like in previous sims but Tongass, which was made for use in FSX, takes only a few mins to set up for seamless and compatible use in P3Dv4x. We have a whole page dedicated to P3Dv4x on this site: 
LINK: https://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/index.php#5
so there is a very quick and easy reference available.

Tongass is only required for the locations inside the TONGASS Area. Outside the Tongass area, it is NOT even required!

PS: Tongass coverage area:

Just to be clear for our users and prospective users, RTMM uses Tongass Fjords X (TFX) objects in many, many of our sceneries that are outside of the TFX coverage area.  The impact of not installing TFX would be felt wherever RTMM Sceneries are installed in the form of missing objects at a minimum.

Rod

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 11:30:19 PM »
Thanks Rod.. Got it: Wasn't aware that Tongass Objects were used elsewhere by RTMM locations and not just for the Tongass area.  Thanks for the correction and my education!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:49:39 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^