Author Topic: Halibut Cove plane floating in air  (Read 9137 times)

rgerdes

Halibut Cove plane floating in air
« on: September 06, 2019, 11:54:19 PM »
found this whilst tooling around the new (2.1) halibut cove with my new screen

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Halibut Cove plane floating in air
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
Think of the “hardened surface” of an object like a invisible coating of paint. The designer makes an object, and hardens it with the “hardened surface coating”. Then a scenery designer decides to use that object at a location. But the object (in this case a wharf) must be resized (made smaller), to resemble a concrete pier. The pier that you see is resized perfectly...but the invisible “hardened coating” does not resize. It is always at the original size. Therefore when you approach such an object, your aircraft will react to the original invisible hardened surface and seem to jump in the air if you approach the object.

What I have done for some of these is put red buoys at the limits of the hardened surface, (Bear Observatory), warning a float plane or boat not to approach closer than the buoys. Or, the designer can change out the object. Or we can treat just live with it as we live with a “unhardened” dock you can drive through. But now you know what is happening.

rgerdes

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
Actually this is one of the static airplanes that is part of the Halibut Cove scenery - maybe someone needs to remove it or move it so it's outside the hardened dock?
Thanks,
Bob

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »
Interesting, I’ll take a look at it. Thank you.

Doug

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
I don't think it is a hardened dock issue.   The static plane object being displayed on Bob's system is not the object that is placed there.  I have attached a pic (below) of the way it should look and does look on my system using HC v2.1   The Beaver is green.  The object is the DeHavilland_Beaver_DHC2 object drawn from the RTMM_DHC2.bgl library which is located in the CeyX_Sceneries_LibrariesFSXP3D object library folder. 

I am asuuming the Bob has the Halibut Control panel Base Static Boats/Floats set to Heavy which enables that green plane to be displayed.  Bob, somehting in your set up must be causing the issue.

Suggested first steps to try and determine where the red plane object is coming from:

1. Change the Halibut Control panel Base Static Boats/Floats to Lite. Start P3D.  Did the plane in question disappear? 
2. Change the Halibut Control panel Base Static Boast/Floats setting back to Heavy and disable the CeyX_Sceneries_LibrariesFSXP3D object library in the scenery library. Start P3D.  Does the red plane appear or is it gone?

Rod

rgerdes

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 11:10:31 PM »
Hi Rod,
Did as you suggested:
Set the control panel to lite and the plane was gone
set it back to heavy and disabled CeyX_Sceneries_LibrariesFSXP3D and the plane was still there floating in the air but a bunch docks were missing

I redownloaded the part 1 scenery library and reinstalled the CeyX_Sceneries_LibrariesFSXP3D
all the files are dated 2/20/17
and the plane is back and floating in the air

Hope this helps,
Bob

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for running the tests that I asked you to run. I am assuming you are running P3Dv4.x. The fact that the red plane was still in the air when you turned off your Ceyx_Sceneries_LibrariesFSXP3D object library entry (docks disappeared etc.) combined with the red plane object disappearing when you changed the Halibut Cove Control panel settting means that there is probably not a problem with the Ceyx Object library.  Unfortunately, the probable problem is a bit more unusual.  The GUID  identifier for the green plane object is matching with some other object library file that is enabled in your scenery library other than the correct/current CeyX set of object libraries which you have verified that you have. 

The most likely possibility is that you have another instance of a CeyX library active somewhwere that carries the red plane object using the same GUID.  However, that particular library: RTMM_DHC2.bgl hasn't been touched by the authors since 2011.   Nevertheless, the 1st step is to do a search for the   RTMM_DHC2.bgl file on any hard drive that has folders that have been enabled in your sim's scenery library and make sure that the RTMM_DHC2.bgl file only exists in the one CeyX set of libraries that you just re-downloaded from our web site and are enabled in your scenery library. 

Let me know how that search goes.

Rod

rgerdes

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
Hi Rod,
Did the search and only found one instance  RTMM_DHC2.bg file on my C: drive - in the version of  CeyX_Sceneries_LibrariesFSXP3D that I reinstalled last night.
Thanks,
Bob
Oh, and I'm running P3D v4.5 HF

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »
Hi Bob,

If you didn't find any extra matches for the RTMM_DHC2.bgl object library, the problem now become more difficult.  It would mean that there is an object library file enabled in your scenery library that matches the green plane object GUID number and it is taking precedence and producing the inappropriate red plane object instead of the green plane. 

The only way to isolate the object library that is apparently interfering is to 1st turn off the CeyX set of libraries and make sure the red plane is still showing up.  Then,  turn each 3rd party (not P3D default entries) scenery entry in the scenery library off and see if the plane disappears. 

The key is that one of your scenery library entries is supporting the plane object and you have already shown that the CeyX set of libraries is being overridden by another enabled scenery object library somewhere.  You can use a binary search method to shorten the process of searching  e.g. turn half off and see if it disappears, if yes, than turn 1/2 on of the set you turned off and see if it comes back. If no, then do same thing with the other 1/2.  Then keep working with the group that made the plane disappear (1/2 at a time) etc.  In that way you keep reducing the group of suspect enabled sceneries by 1/2 until you find the one that makes the plane disappear. 

Note:  Of course you need to leave Halibut Cove enabled the whole time you are testing.

Rod
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:32:04 PM by stiletto2 »

rgerdes

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »
Hi Rod,
That sounds about the same as going to the dentist - think I'll ignore it or turn the control panel to lite  :)
Maybe if I get curious and bored I'll look for it
Thanks.
Bob

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
Hi Bob,

Yes, not a pleasant thought. 

Rod

rgerdes

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
Hey Rod.
Recognize this plane?
It's part of Larry Robinsons Campbell River Scenery - so assume it's in his object library.
How does your Halibut Cove grab a plane from Larry's Object Library?
Bob

Edit:
Actually it's not in his Object Library - I used the Lorby addon organizer to move his library below all the rtmm libraries and the red plane was still there at Halibut cove.

So I took a look at his Campbell River (CAE) scenery and the red plane is in it's scenery folder as Corlair_DHC2_static.bgl - so I turned it off and sure enough I get the right green plane at Halibut Cove.

I'll let you try to sort this one out - maybe a layering thing introduced by the new ORBX Central 4 in prepar3d??
Bob
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:47:45 PM by rgerdes »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 11:15:07 PM »
Hi Bob,

Good sleuthing!  The addon organizer has no impact and Halibut Cove is not grabbing a plane from Larry's Object Library.  Larry's object library simply has a plane object in it that carries the same GUID code as the one in the RTMM library. Once in awhile that kind of conflict can happen.  This is exactly what I told you the problem would be in a previous post:

"...It would mean that there is an object library file enabled in your scenery library that matches the green plane object GUID number and it is taking precedence and producing the inappropriate red plane object instead of the green plane."

Basically the two sceneries conflict with each other on this one object.   So, you have a 3rd party scenery that conflicts with one of ours. Normally we would recommend you disable the conflicting 3rd party scenery though, in this case, it might be easier for me to give you a replacement .bgl that does not place that specific green plane object.  Then you won't have the red plane floating in air and you won't have the green plane.  If you really want the green plane to show up, then you can just add .off to the Corlair_DHC2_static.bgl file which is clearly the 3rd party object library file that conflicts with ours as you said you did for testing.  But then you won't see the static red plane in the Campbell River Scenery.

I have attached the replacement Halibut Cove file to this post.  Just backup the original matching Halibut Cove .bgl and replace it with the attached .bgl file.  Let me know if that works.  Then it is your choice.   

Rod

rgerdes

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 12:10:51 AM »
Thanks Rod
That works for me. :)

I did try turning the corlair plane off - and I got the green plane at Halibut - but...at Campbell River I got the green plane sunk up to it's wings. :o
Anyway it's all sorted now..

Except I noticed ORBX just upgraded their Central to 4.0.12 and you have the option of more insertion points for their scenery - which could be very dangerous...

Thanks for the update
Bob

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 07:50:20 AM »
Hi Bob,

I forgot about the fact that, with matching GUIDs, if you turned the Campbell River object library off the scenery would  (of course) display our library's plane which has a lower object center.  I am glad the quick fix to allow the conflicting scenery to co-exist with Halibut Cove works for you!

I haven't tried ORBX Central yet....waiting till ORBX gets all the bugs worked out :)

Rod