Author Topic: Using the "M" Map Feature in FSX  (Read 12820 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Using the "M" Map Feature in FSX
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
Just this week, I've received 3 emails about how to use the "starting/mooring" co ordinates that we give out for our locations (see the Map Room) and USFS cabins page.  I thought it might be worth a quick explanation:

PLAN-G, our "navigation software" (FREEware) is the best of its kind, but it has one small drawback. You can only start a route from an airport (or SPB).  What if you want to start at a cabin?  We've given you starting point lat/long data for most of our scenery locations and for all of the USFS cabins.  To use the coordinates ...

1. Press "M" in FSX and the map comes up.
2. Enter the latitude   N54 23.54   no symbols are necessary
3. Enter the longitude W128 47.34 no symbols are necessary
4. Disregard the altitude ... not important
5. Enter the heading if given ... this is the "Mag" heading, this aligns you with a pier or a bouy.
6. Make sure your speed is set at "0" zero.

Then press the OK button and you will instantly be "at" the new location, all lined up and ready to go.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Using the "M" Map Feature in FSX
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »
Doug,
where did you get the 'special' edition of FSX that will let you bring up the map by pressing 'M'?  Or are you talking about if you are running Plan G along with FSX??   I can get a map while in FSX IF the airplane I'm flying has a map guage in the panel.cfg.  Most of the 'Cubs' I have do not have the map feature so you can not use the method you describe.
And I certainly am never taken 'Instantly' anywhere in FSX.  Loading scenery is a grueling, slow, painful event which I spend about 70% of my time with FSX waiting for.  Just flying I only have the initial load to wait on but mucking about with the scenery so much I spend a LOT of time twilding my thumbs.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
Well, I got mine at the local store, question is, where did you get your copy that doesn't have this built-in feature?  Note the attached, it's listed right there on the control settings ... under "M".

What I meant by instantly is that you don't have to go slewing around to find a cabin ... put the lat/long/head in there and you will be taken to it ... for me quickly, maybe for you a little longer.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Gypsy Pilot

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
A Great Hint Doug although I have found that the altitude setting is important if you are using a runway or a mountain lake instead of sea level water.

Dale "Gypsy Pilot" Evans

Fly like a Float Plane Pilot
Disconnect those brakes

Doug

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »
Right, unless you are at sea level (which most lakes are not), the altitude setting is absolutely necessary.  It's just another nice way to start somewhere else and "fly back" instead of "flying to" a cabin or location.

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »
Doug,
     I don't think the "M" key is set to the map by default.  You must have set yours up that way.  Just pressing "M" does nothing on my FSX.  What I do is press and release the "Alt" key, then press "W", then the "M" key.  It's just the keyboard shortcut for the menu bar at the top of the screen.  I suppose it would be easier to go ahead and map the "M" key to the map, but I've been using my method so long that it is just as easy to press Alt, W, M.  But, the point being to open the map however you do, and enter the coordinates to where you want to go.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Mike Cameron

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
I have the M key assigned for engine auto start, so I have assigned shift-M to bring up the map.    If you have a spare joystick button you could assign the map to this button then you would not even need to use your keyboard.

archangel1

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
...If you have a spare joystick button...

Is there such a thing as a spare button anymore? Every new addon comes with so many fancy doodads that it doesn't take long to run out of things to push, even with separate throttle controls or the use of macros (whatever they are!).
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
By default the "M" key is assigned to the magnetos not the map which prompted my original question. 

As a matter of fact I had missed the possibility of assigning a key to bring up the map and had for years been adding a gauge and/or icon to my panel.cfg for different A/C to have a map handy if it were not part of the A/C download.

Doug,s post has been very informative and added another small thing to FSX that makes things just a tiny bit better and adds to the enjoyment of the sim.  Thanks Doug for the reminder.
 8)
Later,

Spud