Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian - Freeport Bahamas -09.02.2019  (Read 3990 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Hurricane Dorian - Freeport Bahamas -09.02.2019
« on: September 02, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
https://return.mistymoorings.com/webposts/Freeport-Dorian-09.02.2019.mp4

I've never been able to fly a helicopter successfully in the sim ... but today I got the "feel" for it anyway. This is a video of me sitting beside the runway at Freeport during the height of Dorian. Flew like that for a while actually, kinda' fun (with the crash off of course :-)

Doug

PS ... Mandatory evacuation order as of noon today for Hilton Head Area of South Carolina because of Dorian. Our governor calls these things WAY too early. The tracks are good, but they always pick the worst possible track for the warning. So our whole "gated" community is not closed. I can get out, but can't get back in if I leave. (Sort of the opposite of Hotel California). All amenities are shut down.

It takes about 2 hours to put up the hurricane shutters for the house, I've done it now 4 times. What I learned from the 4 "events" is to way about 6 hours before it the thing is supposed to hit and make a decision on shutters. All of these for times we did all the work for 3" of rain and an occasional 45 mph gust of wind. So we are 'staying put' ... no shutters up, lovely day.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Hurricane Dorian - Freeport Bahamas -09.02.2019
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
How'd you get the trees to animate like that?

Doug

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »
C’mon Brad, it’s a hurricane! It’s so bad down there even the static trees were moving!

:-) Doug

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
Hopefully it will keep reducing in strength (now showing cat2!) and will also keep moving eastward away from Hilton Head and maybe the entire east coast!!  All the best there Doug.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Doug

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »
Yeah, they just called is a Tropical Storm watch for here now. So we will get a couple of inches of rain and some gusty winds (like the last 4 times). Thousands of people evacuated for NOTHING (again). All they have to do is wait about two more days to call it accurately...but they called it too early (again) and they call it WRONG (again).  If they keep “calling wolf!” ... one day thousands will die in a REAL emergency, because fewer and fewer are believing and heeding the warnings.

And it can get expensive...It costs about $450 dollars to get your hurricane shutters put up (for the seniors in my senior community). I watched the workers putting up more this morning AFTER the Trop Storm Watch was called. Now the evacuees will spend next week driving back home from some overpriced motel and spend more money to take the shutters back down.

Living here is sort of like watching an ant colony.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
C’mon Brad, it’s a hurricane! It’s so bad down there even the static trees were moving!

:-) Doug

Or.....Doug might have checked the Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegatation option which invokes the, somewhat ugly but moveable trees option in P3Dv4 which replaces the default, Orbx or Terra Flora tress with SpeedTrees.

Rod

Doug

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »
Rod, I knew you’d come through!

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. They did look pretty cool though.

Doug

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:17:41 PM »
I like them, mostly around airports, so not everywhere.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 09:53:31 AM »
Hurricane Dorian has now "passed" my position in South Carolina. A little windy (gusty), rainy, but basically just a windy rainstorm. Too bad the media hypes these things out of proportion chasing thousands of people our of their SAFE environments and puts them at risk on the highway.  Yes, they are bad on the coast because of the storm surge ... and if you have a cat 5 sitting on your position for 2 days, you can EXPECT to get wiped out (Bahamas). But you really have to take the "predictions" from the radio and TV with a "grain of salt." Most of the spaghetti tracks were WRONG, but when the storm passes and they erase them, everyone tends to forget. (I don't, I save the screenshots).

Another thing for people that live in this area (inland coastal SC). The hurricane always passes to the right (east) of us (following the gulf stream). If it would come from the left, it would be ON LAND and would diminish to a tropical storm quickly. So the ONLY winds we will see that could be damaging will be from the NORTH.  I only put up the north storm shutters ... takes about 20 minutes, vs putting up shutters for the whole house (2 hours +). Last night I sat on my south porch (screened) and watched the "hurricane" and read my Kindle and listened to Pandora on the dot ... completely dry. Living in a hurricane corridor, you need to study and understand YOUR location ... and disregard the hype and politics on the TV and radio.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 11:36:20 AM »
Hi Doug,

So happy that Dorian has passed and that you had no problem at your house.  I hope it continues to stay off shore. 

Rod

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »
Hi Doug,

So happy that Dorian has passed and that you had no problem at your house.  I hope it continues to stay off shore. 

Rod

Ditto  ;)  8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P