Author Topic: courious  (Read 3611 times)

av8erjm

courious
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:30:00 PM »
Been an interesting 48 hours, was at the hanger Wed when the whole building started spinning, someone caught me before I hit the floor. I never lost consciousness, but every time  I would try to sit up, got real nauseous. They called the ambulance and off to St Luke hospital I went. Had a CT scan and a MRI and a whole host of tests for stroke, heart attack. So after 5 to 6 hours ruling out everything else, they came to the conclusion, that I was having a case of Vertigo. I don't know if anyone has had it, but it was about the scariest thing I have been thru. Been on the phone with the FSDO here in Boise and it sounds like I won't be flying charters for a year and not even sure after that. They warned me not to fly w/o a copilot, or I could be revoked all together, which goes w/o saying I wouldn't even try it after last Wed. Anyway just curious if anyone here has had Vertigo and what was your outcome

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: courious
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:11:50 PM »
     That sounds scary.  The doctors checked your ears?  They can cause those sensations too.  Glad you're not flying with this going on.  Let us know how you're coming along.   :) 
(You can still fly in the sim, of course.  Right?)  ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:15:22 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

av8erjm

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
It's the  little hairs in in the inner ear, in the cochlea and in some folks they get lil' crystals and when these crystals come loose or break off and the hairs can't move freely that's what causes all the havoc. They showed me some things I can do to try to alleviate it if it happens in the future.  Hoping I don't have to though. Too bad I really enjoyed the outfit I was working for, but at going on 72 probably didn't have more than a year or two anyway.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
Whoa Jim.. definitely must have been a very scary time.
Vertigo. it's more common than one would think but a very weird feeling between the dizziness and nausea like symptoms of a stroke or something.

I get once in a while but only when I am laying on the floor, playing with the grand kids.. if I tilt my head a certain way on the floor it starts.. same type of thing: dizziness and almost sick to my stomach. As soon as I lift my head up I'm fine. Weird feeling that's for sure.
Scary but glad you are ok Jim.

Norm
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:38:09 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

av8erjm

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 09:17:48 PM »
I'm just thankful it happened in the hanger and not in the air. As far as flying the Pacer, I'm sure I can find a CFI  or a pilot w/ taildragger time to ride  with me and help build their hours

Lipra

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 06:07:31 AM »
Did you have a blood test as well to check for diabetes. I had similar symptoms and found my levels were high

av8erjm

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
Yup, Luke Medical Center ran every test known to man, they took blood for a full chem screen, had me on a IV bag for electrolytes. And then all the brain scans like I said. I went wake boarding for the first time with my neighbor and out of five guys, one of them have had Vertigo attacks, so I'm finding out it's more common than I thought, just not talked about  much. I really thought I'd punch out my time card