Author Topic: KAP 140 Autopilot  (Read 3338 times)

Tinman

KAP 140 Autopilot
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
I got the Milviz DHC 3 Otter and it has the KAP 140 autopilot.  I can't see to do anything with it and was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. 

When I turn on the Master Avionics switch, it goes through its PFT, but after that, I can't set AP to following the heading bug or anything.

Thoughts?

Mark Hansen

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: KAP 140 Autopilot
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:31:45 PM »
Haven't tried it but most AP and GPS modules work the same way. AP on or off, GPS mode and use it with either flightplan waypoints, or heading bug.. also altitude sets, rate of climb or rate of descent in feet per min), hold patterns,

Need to go to GPS Mode for the autopilot to actually be of use for direction: whether that is to follow flight plan waypoints, or heading feature using the heading bug..

For heading bug to work with AP, need to select GPS and heading ON/OFF in the ap module and for heading bug to be effective then when you turn the heading bug the aircraft, AP navigates the airplane to and holds that heading  So find the NAV/GPS Switch.. if on nav (usually is by default), then switch it over to GPS then autopilot should kick in,

Here is a good vid on the sim Garmin GPS500 .. hopefully will help as almost all GPS modules work the same way.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:37:43 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 02:41:49 PM »
Hey Norm, I think you forgot to post the link to the Garmin GPS vid.  :)

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:41:13 PM »
Arg right Steve.. sorry bout that!! Actually two links.

GPS500 video link: https://youtu.be/nLVPIGoYVxs
And
CAP140 Autopilot video link: https://youtu.be/jPvnpvJx0QA

Also go to the RTMM FAQ page and scroll down to G for help PDF file on the GPS.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:54:58 PM by nbrich1 »

Tinman

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 07:47:06 PM »
Thanks for the links. When I said I can’t get it to do anything, I can’t get it to to turn on. After the PFT count, the only thing it does is display an alt. Which the video says it will do even if off.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 08:10:10 PM »
Hmmm, check your aircraft.cfg for the plane.. autopilot may not be enabled.. do a search in your aircraft.cfg for autopilot.. autopilot=0  means disabled..
To enable the autopilot in that plane change that line to read
Autopilot=1.
Then Save the aircraft.cfg.

When you load that airplane in your sim try the z key to turn on/activate autopilot and if you use z again that should turn autopilot off.

Tinman

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 09:58:46 PM »
Well I got it to work... don't know how I clicked on the AP button differently to get it to go, but I did.  It still didn't work like the videos, but I did get it to work.... the aircraft config file did have it enabled.  (Ha, maybe looking made it work????)

Thanks for the ideas!

Mark

Stearmandriver

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 03:59:34 AM »
If it works the same as the one in the Milviz Beaver, it doesn't work like a standard flight sim autopilot.

When it completes its start-up test, you should press (click) the Baro button on the right to confirm the altimeter setting being displayed.  Then, you have to click and hold the AP button for something like a half a second to engage the autopilot in basic roll and pitch modes.  Then you can turn other modes on from there.

The key thing people seem to tend to miss is that you can't just click the AP button; you have to hold it down for a bit.

The autopilot manual for the Beaver is here, I'll bet it's the same:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://milviz.com/Online_products/Manuals/KAP_140_Autopilot.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiY47uvjdLjAhWUsZ4KHQ8RAugQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0zdzxhaYP1GwmT4NcFNNAf

Tinman

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
Thanks, I did catch the press and hold "feature".  Didn't catch the BARO button...  I've been watching tutorials and it is different than the default C-172, for example.

But that's called realism, right.

Thanks for your help,
Mark