Author Topic: Traffic Files - moving from P3D\Scenery\World\Scenery  (Read 8419 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Traffic Files - moving from P3D\Scenery\World\Scenery
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »
Norm, you've made my point about what works, or is relevant for some people, might not work for someone else. You say, "I guess, became more of a P3D thing since most other add-on folders in P3D are contained outside the root sim." Then you say "The recommended practice of simply placing files into the scenery-world-scenery folder or sim folders has changed a bit for P3D users whereas now placing any 3rd party scenery-world-scenery (ai traffic files, Effects, 3rd party add-on scenery, simobjects etc etc) in it's own folder external to the sim.  These things apparently pertain to the way P3D users organize things than to the way FSX or FSX SE users do, or apparently can.

Dex,
I'm the one who is advocating, "if it aint broke...." It shouldn't be difficult to troubleshoot AI problems if something goes afoul because we have people who understand this stuff and can usually sort things out in a hurry. Just my opinion.

Steve

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »
Yes indeedey Steve (and Dex) as I once thought but is not so clear sometimes.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 07:43:34 AM »
Sorry Steve, will explain what I mean by the term "Layer 3". (Or [Area.003] as seen in the scenery.cfg or in the sim's scenery library).. I really could be termed "Layer 1" or at the bottom/BASE of the scenery library.

Ai Traffic files are not tied to scenery at all but the known practice was to place Ai Traffic.bgl files in the sim's "scenery-world-scenery" folder.

Layer 3 - (Instead of Layer 1).  I guess, became more of a P3D thing since most other add-on folders in P3D are contained outside the root sim. Really it could be layer 1- at the bottom of the scenery library in FSX (or P3D) but since each entry in the scenery lib is a layer, it equates to Layer 3.

The recommended practice of simply placing files into the scenery-world-scenery folder or sim folders has changed a bit for P3D users whereas now placing any 3rd party scenery-world-scenery (ai traffic files, Effects, 3rd party add-on scenery, simobjects etc etc) in it's own folder external to the sim.

And a equivalent "scenery-world-scenery" folder that was external to the sim's root "scenery-world-scenery" folder and that equivalent folder positioned in the scenery lib above layer 1 and layer 2 which are the sims default layers. (Layer 1=Default Terrain Layer 2=Default BASE)

So this external equivalent folder to the sim's "scenery-world-scenery" folder is what I refer to as layer 3 and use this folder to house all add-on AI traffic file bgls.  (I call my folder "AI Shipping") and it is located outside my sim. Easy to find, easy to turn off or isolate. 

Scenery.cfg looks something like this:   

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Texture_ID=1
Local=Scenery\World
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Layer=1

[Area.002]
Title=Default Scenery
Local=Scenery\BASE
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Layer=2

[Area.003]
Title=World AI Shipping (All)
Local=Q:\Addons\Addon Scenery\AI Shipping
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=3

(Or also can add the scenery folder via add-on xml of the folder to activate as a P3D Addon at layer 3)

Anyways more complex than it sounds - is just means at the bottom of the scenery library above the two default layers.

Scenery order Pic (Always work bottom up in the scenery library as the bottom is the default base) whereas in the scenery.cfg file itself- Base layering is listed top > down.

It should be mentioned that creating add on scenery folders external to the P3D folder is an option. Setting up scenery folders using the add-on xml methodoloy is more complicated but does create two desirable options for many:

1. If you have to comnpletely reinstall P3D (I never have) due to some problem, you don't have to manually install each of your add on scenery folders since you can just plug in your external add-on.xml structure and you are ready to go.

2. If you want to put some or all of you add on scenery on another disk drive away from where P3D is installed, you can do that using the add-on.xml structure.

For myself, I don't use it since via the use of regular backups, I have never had the need to reinstall from scratch the same thing I already had installed.

Rod
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:45:58 AM by stiletto2 »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 08:21:07 AM »
Ah yes, add-on.xml. A P3D thing, but not an FSX/FSX SE thing. Not trying to be difficult here, but we're back to "what works for some, won't necessarily work for others."

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
Well I moved all my RTMM traffic files into the 'scenery' folders and most did not work. Misty Cruise ship for example.
So I moved them all back to 'layer 3' via P3DAO.

Steve - FWIW - I specify 'layer 3' for all traffic folders as part of the P3DAO procedure and P3DAO simply adds them as the next layer 'up'.
The traffic folders are all 'sandwiched' between layers 1 [default terrain] and 2 [default scenery] and Orbx Vector AEC [layer 25 in my case].
I actually have the Global Shipping AI at layer 3 and AS Anchorage at layer 4 then RTMM folders from layers 5 to 24 in alphabetical order. So if I add another traffic folder I will specify layer 3 but it will be added as layer 25 and the Orbx entry will be renumbered as layer 26 and the rest of the entries increment by +1 [to 689 in my case].
In the pic the Orbx Vector entry is not visible but it is the next entry above Bella Coola.

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
You've made my point and we're still back at square one. You're talking about something that doesn't work across platforms, P3DDO - whatever that is - and what you describe isn't applicable to everyone. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »
Garry, haven't had any probs to which you had there of the files not working.. (I have never used an add-on manager for scenery stuff.. I do it "long Hand". I don't trust them to get the right scenery address/entry written but for ai traffic files I was a layer 3 too.. and most still there except for the the seasonal ones which have to back in their respective scenery folders so that the upcoming eswitcher can access them.

Check your scenery entres manually to make sure that the auto scenery thingy is getting your entries corret for the sim to read. (It might be out one level.)

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^