Author Topic: Anomalies on the Water  (Read 46255 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Anomalies on the Water
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Just take your time, Jeff.  That we've got!  And if you find out something and want to change one that we already have up, we'll just update it, no problem.

For you and the boaters reading this thread, I got an email from Holger tonight. As usually he's very upbeat about this aspect of what we are doing.  I mentioned that we are running into a water anomaly here and there ... literally a 3-5 foot wave that the boat must climb up or down. We only seem to see this in river situations or in channels where the shores are close.  I've identified a couple of them.  If you encounter one of these and if it is in a "key" place, let us know. We will pass them on to Holger and he'll get them in the next Service Pack.   Again, I have only seen these in a couple of places ... and mostly rivers ... I've not encountered one in all the hours I've spent back in the BC Fjords.  Just keep your eyes open and let us know if you spot one.  (f you want to see what I'm talking about, go to the Harding River Cabin, slew upstream until you see it empties on a lake ... look at the interface between the river and the lake ... that's what we are talking about).  But these are few and far between for sure.)

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Anomalies on the Water
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
As a matter of fact, when I was coming down the Nass, there was a very large area that was messed up, and on the final corner coming into port, the whole corner was sunken by about 15 feet.  Well, let me dig up the pictures I took.  Here's four, but I have lots more. 

The locations' coordinates are in the pictures.  (on the GPS, and in the top-left corner of the first one.)

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Edit (7/22/2019):  Not sure what pictures were here exactly, so here is some pictures of a water wall from my archives.  It is from the area in the conversation, but not the pics that were deleted years ago.  :P

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:30:08 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »
Yep, that's what we need to know about. Jeff, could you send me those coordinates, I blew them up, but it's so pixillated I can't read them.  I'll be keeping a list of these for Holger ... that's the "biggest" example I've seen yet. There's a tough bunch of them up the Harding River ... the lake is about 4' above the river there and several of them as you go up the river.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:19:21 AM »
Here's a map view of the first set of coordinates.

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:08:39 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:38:04 PM »
We'll use this thread to keep track of any anomalies we find with the water. 

NOTAM for those of you who are not boating, these will make no difference to you, you fly over them as you would fly over a tsunami ... but down on the water, they are important.  Holger has offered to keep a list of these for the next Service Pack. So as we run across them, we'll post them here for him to use later.

Doug
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:40:07 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
The Zimoetz River is "closed off" at "Little Canyon" N54 30.77   W128 23.55

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
Great!  I was hoping "Water Anomalies" would get its own thread.  And here it is.  I'll keep my eyes open.  (BTW, I found Skeena River Lodge, at Terrace, BC.  I used Google earth, (Duh, should've done that to begin with.)  Thanks Doug!)

Doug

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:35 PM »
Unfortunately, this below is on the Skeena about two miles toward Terrace from Skeena River Lodge. You can get around it if you go hard to the shore to port ...  Of all the darned places!  (BTW, I'm using that Snapper.exe to get these shots ... gives the lat and long right there on the bottom for Holger.)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »
Doug,
I have not taken a boat to Skeena from Terrace yet but I did fly the river in a Super Cub several times and have not noticed any 'rapids' as in you screen shot.  I'll go by boat today and let you know what I found.
 8)

ADDENDUM:

Took the airboat from Skeena toward Terrace and found your 'rapid', and as you say if you skim the left (port) bank of the river you can get by it.  Went down the port side of the river channels under the Yellowhead Highway, RR and local road bridges without any other problems.  Turned around and came back toward Skeena using the main river channel.  As I approached the 'rapid' I slowed to about 10 MPH and went over the middle of it.  Made it without difficulty but it was NOT a smooth ride to say the least.  I was hoping these things were due to addon MESH or something but the seem to be in the scenery or FSX itself.  In FS9 I made several flattens for water problems in VOZ that worked well but do not know if FSX will work with flattens the same way.
The 'rapid' sure does not show from low level in the air!
 8)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:57:39 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »
Wilson River ...

Here's why we  cannot make a river run up the Wilson. This Water Anomaly is simply too steep for a run-about to get over.  Too Bad, we had some high hopes for this one.  The gps lat/lon are on the picture.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »
yeah, that nice straight line tells me it is the edge of a scenery tile that does not quite match the elevation of the adjacent tile.
I have an old FS9 utility (if I can find it) that might flatten the thing.  Let me work on it a bit and see what I can come up with.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
Spud ...

Well, here's what I turned it into.  It's a little waterfall ... a real DEVIL to negotiate but do-able.  The rocks then run along the anomaly.   There are 4 such rapids on this run, I now have 3 of them fixed.  Not flattened, but darned interesting for a boat.  The difficult thing about this one is you have to have fair speed, then hit the falls on a 90 degree turn (or you slide down the wave into the rocks) ... then over it an immediate left turn 90 degrees which means you better be on the brakes and turning as you hit the falls.  If people think flying can get white knuckle, this will surely do it too!

It does make it interesting.  Like the Alastair River, this one will have a lot of things to watch for during the very scenic trip up the Wilson River to Wilson Lake (where there are two cabins).  Half way will be a Brad's Bait & BBQ.

Doug

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:09:01 PM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
Hey Doug,
good looking solution if I do say so.  I did see the anomalies you mentioned and I was in the Sirocco and was able to go up river across two of them without too much trouble but did keep the boat 'on top'.  The boat was really too large for the river but it is the smallest one I have so used it.  I did start at the cabin on the south end of Wilson Lake and go down river all the way to Wilson River Logde without getting stuck.
I did find the old FS9 program and it even connects up to FSX without a problem.  If we need flattens I think I can do them but now I just have to figure out how to use it after a couple of years without even loading it.  It doesn't limit you to 4 flattens like the FS Flatten program and you can make the flatten any shape you need not just a rectangle.  It does a pretty good job.
That said I like the rapids/falls technique much better though.
 8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 12:13:39 AM »
Downloaded a new runabout looks sort of like a cigarette boat.  Run very well, will hit 67 Kts., has full instruments (GPS & Radios).  Adjustable wing for trimming.  With this craft I was able to run the entire Wilson River and back without too much trouble but the 4 areas are tricky.  Looking forward to the updates Doug.

Here are some screen shots of the new runabout.

Download the two file for the "Speedboat, Offshore"  (1) the boat,  (2) the instruments

http://www.fs-shipyards.com/index.php?ind=downloads&op=section_view&idev=11

8)

EDIT: Belay my last, out on open water full throttle she will do 80 Kts.  At that speed if you horse her around or hit a 'bump' it will go airborne!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:01:33 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
Has anybody mentioned this one?  It's right "AT" Victory Valley.  It's nearly 1300 ft. tall. 

Video snapshot of the spike:
http://youtu.be/4DhHFY_cPxE

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:03:31 PM by jeff3163 »