Author Topic: Simulation Rate & Time & AI  (Read 2484 times)

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
Simulation Rate & Time & AI
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
Hello

Could someone let me know that if I increase the simulation rate does time speed up as well and what effect does this have on the AI - does it still work?

I'm asking because if there are no times stated for AI vessel departures or plane takeoffs in the readmes are we expected to sit around and wait for something to happen?

E.g., at Iggys Harbor, from the readme: "Here's a little AI boat that makes the rounds once an hour."
Now, does this mean 'on the hour' or some random hourly interval?

I don't really want to sit around potentially for an hour waiting for the little AI boat to do its thing so I'm thinking if I increase the sim rate, does time accelerate as well and will the AI boat make its rounds at the increased rate.

My concern in respect of the RTMM scenery/traffic/AI is that I have installed everything correctly and seeing AI work [more or less] at the stated times is confirmation that I have. If there are no stated times I am left wondering if I installed correctly or not if I don't see any AI action for a while.

Rod has told me that not stating times adds to the randomness of things, just like real life and enhances the user experience. Whilst I agree, let's not forget we are adding software to a another piece of software and things can go wrong. I don't like the fact that if I'm not seeing AI I don't know if it's bad luck or a bad installation. I suppose in an ideal world all AI software would have a 'checkpoint' that you could go to to see a specific plane or ship that would confirm a good install or not, similar to the library object tester.

So, can I speed things up or do I have to wait and see [and hope] in normal time?

Thanks
Josh

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Simulation Rate & Time & AI
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 08:38:14 PM »
Hi Josh,

Without affecting proper AI operation, you can only accelerate the sim to 4x.  You can then sit and watch it but it will still take some time for an hour to go by.  Anything faster than 4x and the AI will be reset when the sim reloads.   

Rod

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Simulation Rate & Time & AI
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »
Thanks Rod.
Exactly what I wanted to know.

Regards
Josh

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat