Author Topic: Getting loaded in the right place.  (Read 4528 times)

Tinman

Getting loaded in the right place.
« on: May 30, 2019, 08:40:29 PM »
BLUF: looking for information where to put all of the RTMM files.  (recommend folder structure)

I got my PC back from the PC hospital and spend the day getting all of the non RTMM files loaded and going (FSX SE, Orbx scenery, more Orbx scenery, FSUIPC, etc) .  Now I need to start on the RTMM files.

I was reading somewhere here that there is a recommended folder structure.  The FSX section says "Additions to be added".  Has the FSX folder structure been laid out somewhere?

I'd appreciate getting a push in he right direction.  Right now I only have the library files downloaded, but not installed.  Thought I should wait to find out where is the right place to put them in FSX SE

Thanks,
Mark Tinman Hansen

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Getting loaded in the right place.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:03:12 PM »
Hi Mark,
     What I've done is create a folder on my four terabyte S: drive for scenery to go into.  I called it Lockheed Martin P3Dv3, as that was my sim at the time.  In that folder is an Addon Scenery folder.
     Inside that folder are many sub-folders containing various collections I've gotten over time.  One of those sub-folders is called "Return to Misty Moorings DX10, because we had recently upgraded to DX10 compatibility, and I re-downloaded everything to that new folder.
     So everything RTMM related goes in there, except for CIRP, which gets its own sub-folder.

When downloading and installing,keep each scenery location in its own folder.  Please don't combine them into one scenery folder.  That only causes issues and confusion later.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:14:56 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:30:31 AM »
Mark

For the scenery I use “Sim”/Addon Scenery/RTMM Misty Moorings/scenery folders

For the libraries I use “Sim”/RTMM Scenery Libraries/library folders

Doug

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »
I have a separate 1Tb drive just for add-on scenery: then sub-folders which set up the structure I want to keep track of everything: (then it wasn't too hard to set up correct paths for the sim to load them).  You don't want misc scenery all over the place so think about how you want to keep it sorted so your sim stays organized.

I did my RTMM scenery as follows:

Drive Q:\Addon Scenery >> RTMM >>

>> 01-RTMM Object Libraries 1-2-3-4
>> 02-RTMM Medical-APP Library                                         
>> 03-RTMM BWEP Library
>> 04-RTMM Scenery Object Tester                                           
>> 05-RTMM Addon Sceneries  << 240 sub folders that contain each of the RTMM add-ons scenery pieces. (Keep all the add-on scenery pieces separate - it's much easier to keep track and saves big issues down the road when scenery pieces are updated. (This year, there has been much updating - seasonal additions, fixes etc etc. so best to keep each add-on scenery piece separate!).

I'm not a FSX steam user but from my understanding works the same way as the other MS sim versions as far as add-on scenery and it's placement.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can create any folder structure under FSX-SE recommended scenery path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery\
Or anywhere you want for that matter.  The big key is to be able to keep track of all the scenery folders and correctly set up their scenery paths in your sim so all will load up without issues.

http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/how-to-install-addon-scenery-in-fsx/

Norm
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:40:35 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Tinman

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »
Thanks for all of the help.  The Mrs. and I got the grandson unexpectedly and I won't be able to try out this advice until Sunday Night.

It looks like it really doesn't matter when I save the library files, FSX SE will find them?  it sounds like there are lots and I want to keep
them straight.

Thanks,
Mark

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 02:04:02 AM »
It looks like it really doesn't matter when (or did you mean where?) I save the library files, FSX SE will find them?

Try to keep the path statements short.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Tinman

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 08:50:56 PM »
Thanks for the congratulations Norm.  But I's not quite like that now.  We didn't expect our son to need us to watch him this weekend.

Something came up for him and we stepped in.  Lots of fun, but, got to watch him every minute.  Lucky, watching = playing and I
don't know who is entertaining who.

------------------------------------------------------
So keep the paths short... ok.  If they can truly be anywhere, then I have a second internal drive.  It's a normal drive (the main drive is SSD).
I can put them there to make the path shorter.  The SSD is a 1TB and still has plenty of space. 

the path to the main folder is the Steam path... C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam2\steamapps\common\FSX.

Currently the Addon Scenery\scenery folder is blank.  Don't know where the Orbx stuff goes.

I can put them on the E drive with a shorter path and use Norm's structure.  I assume FXS SE will automatically look over there to
find the files and the relative slower speed of the drive won't be an issue. Or do I need to tell FSX SE where are libraries and scenery is?

Or would it be the same to use Norm's structure but in the Addon Scenery\scenery folder?

Mark

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »
Or do I need to tell FSX SE where are libraries and scenery is?

You should be opening your sim's "scenery Library" and adding the locations to it.  Right?  ???
     It NEVER automatically finds the scenery locations.  We add them manually to the scenery library, in a specific order.  The library files go above all Orbx FTX files, TFX just below Orbx.  All things RTMM go to the top, just like cream. ;)

Tinman

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I'll read up on that when I start pushing them in.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
Thanks for the congratulations Norm.  But I's not quite like that now.  We didn't expect our son to need us to watch him this weekend.

Something came up for him and we stepped in.  Lots of fun, but, got to watch him every minute.  Lucky, watching = playing and I don't know who is entertaining who.

------------------------------------------------------

lol... so not exactly like NEW, just called unexpectedly fast to be babysitters!!  lol Mark.. Got it.. we get that all the time!! And that age, them youngin's!!, yep have to watch them every minute. (Makes it very hard to fly!! Except when they are down for naps! lol.   

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »
As Jeff says order is important.

Quickie pic (bottom up) attached. But you have to use FTX Central v3 to set up the FTX and Open LC insertion points.. This sets up the blocks, then you can move items within the blocks.

If you run Tongass, and RTMM, the FTXCentral v3 insertion points (in FTX Central Settings which are FTX and openLC entries), should be as follows:

FTX entries should be inserted below: RTMM Libs.1.

openLC entries should be inserted below Tongass_Lower Priority.

(The RTMM libs and then RTMM add-ons like Jeff says: All things RTMM go to the top, just like cream. RTMM Libs go above or on top of the FTX block then the rest of the RTMM add-ons are manually placed above the RTMM libs.

My rules of thumb is exactly like the RTMM folderswhich sit above FTX
>> 01-RTMM Object Libraries 1-2-3-4
>> 02-RTMM Medical-APP Library                                         
>> 03-RTMM BWEP Library
>> 04-RTMM Scenery Object Tester                                           
>> 05-RTMM Addon Sceneries    << Top of the order - cream

And you add them to your scenery lib exactly that way and each will sit above the previous.

So like the pic below, when you set the FTX Central v3 insertion points (FTX and openLC), as above this creates the scenery blocks and correct order: correct the layering.

(If you have an additional mesh, it is manually positioned just below the FTX OPENLC Entries).

Lots of stuff but once you get the blocks and positions and the paths correct for the sim scenery library it's kind of a snap to do.

If you send me your email Mark, I'll send you some helpful stuff. 

Norm

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:33:12 AM by nbrich1 »

Tinman

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »
Ok, I finally got the downloaded libraries open and going through the readme files.  I think my initial outlook on the initial heading was a little optimistic.  I think I'm confused between libraries and scenery.

I thought the libraries are the little bits of things in the scenery and or course the scenery file is what puts them all together (along with a million other things I suppose).

For example, I opened the Part 1 file and saw the AhZx_LIB SUB LibraryFSXP3D folder along with the Effects folder.  The AhZx_LIB SUB LibraryFSXP3D folder has a scenery and texture folder. 

The effects, scenery ,and texture folders are also in the main FSX folder (for me the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam2\steamapps\common\FSX). 

I don't think I want to move the contents of each of the folders in the AhZx_LIB SUB LibraryFSXP3D folder (Effects, scenery and Texture) into the corresponding folders in the main FSX folder, do I? 

From reading on other threads to catch up over the past weeks, I got the idea I shouldn't co-mingle the RTMM files in the same folder with the FSX stuff (and the stuff already installed  via Orbx and the Tongass packages.)  So, do I make sub folders in each of the Effects, scenery and texture folders to hold all of the new libraries and Scenery files?

Or, should I create a RTMM folder in the main FSX folder and make a Scenery, Effects and Texture folder under there.  Then start dropping the files from the corresponding folders in there?

Sorry for abusing the "no such thing as a dumb question" policy.

I'm going to bed now and sleep on this.  Maybe things will clear up.

Mark Tinman Hansen

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »
Mark,

You should go to the RTMM Installation and Getting Started Web Page on the website and start by reading step 1 which tells you how to set up folders for using RTMM folder and files. 

The effects folder items will go into your ...\FSX\Effects folder as directed.  However, most scenery and texture folders go into the folders you create in Step 1 of the Getting Started page I referenced above.

Better to ask questions if you are not sure so keep asking.

Rod

Tinman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 08:50:18 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help, it looks like I have the libraries loaded, I saw them lined up at PANT airport, so that's good.  Popped over tp ketchikan to see Misty place and didn't see it.  then I realized I didn't load that yet. >:(.

I searched under scenery and didn't see airport info, just libraries.  Where can I find the airports?

Mark

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support