Author Topic: Installing Misty Moorings using addon.xml  (Read 17117 times)

kaha

Re: Installing Misty Moorings using addon.xml
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »
....I don't use the addon.xml method for adding RTMM scenery manually because it can be confusing as you may be finding out.   

Rod

Yes, it's confusing. And it's a mess. LM have not invented something good here. Of course, the intention was to keep LMs core installation clean, and that works. However, it can mess up proper functionality.

There is a possibility to set a layer number for scenery in the addon.xml file. That's ok, but as different vendors who don't know about each others installation use this, that can cause confusion.

Even worse, some vendors use the xml method and some don't (like ORBX).

I use the xml method for RTMM but maintain the .xml file manually. I set the libraries to a layer number high enough to stay on top of ORBX FTX. All other scenery I leave with no layer number what puts them on top.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »
Yes xml is a bit complex to get it the first few times but once figured out it's just a way to too the sim to look for auxiliary folders-wherever they are for the sim to fire up when it's started.
Same as adding references to the SIM's cfg files that are located in the sims C:\ProgramData folder. They work the exact same way. Simply they just point to additional paths for the sim to load.

I use xml for some stuff as well as use the sim cfg files to set up all the paths for my add-on pieces from scenery to simobjects to effects, gauges, sound, world alt/afcads/adex files, ai traffic files which are normally steered to scenery-world-scenery, but they don't have to go there at all but all reside outside the sim.

It's easy to run one or more add-ons drives and simply add these path locations via add-on.xml files for each or by using the sim cfg files.. and easy to build as many paths as you want, and it will load every time.. or turn them off and they won't.. And the sim root files aren't touched at all.

"They" made a big deal out of the xml "doing it the correct way" they say, but it's really not necessary at all and the xml are way more complex than they ever needed to be.. just my opinion.. and I use both xml for some stuff as well as cfg files for other stuff. 

So true- no add-ons have to be in the sim root at all except the Default SIM files: except for a few exceptions.. IE: ORBX but they are trying/starting to go outside the sim too.

Yup many Devs/vendors are on completely different methods on how to setup stuff and their installs.. ORBX has done just one airport scenery that can use xml to set it up. But the rest of the Orbx stuff still goes into the root sim and overwrites everything like a few other devs do IE: REX, Aerosoft, etc. etc etc etc 

One day all might be on the same plain!  (In the mean time, I custom install each add-on piece to where I want it and just set the locations via xml or by sim cfg). (I find there is actually more control of scenery order and layering via the Scenery.cfg and FTX Central insertion points than via xml files but both do work).

Long winded - but still to stay- there is lots of way to skin this cat - none are wrong and if done correctly all work perfect!

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
Rod - no I didn't know ALL AI has preset timings. I did know about the ferry so that was my bad.

So does that mean the cruise liner and fishing boats enter and leave the harbor at preset times? Any idea what they are? It would have been helpful if the developer gave us an indication...I can't be doing with sitting around waiting in vain.

On the plus side it seems that your advice from 2016 re the install of AI floatplane traffic is still good. I am now seeing regular departures and arrivals in the harbor. Lovely.

Right now I am testing the ferry by disabling all unnecessary scenery because I am still not seeing it. I have set the time to 1 min to the hour [local time] and sitting in the harbor in my beaver for 10 mins or so with no sight of it. I've done this twice now.

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 05:17:13 PM »
UPDATE

The ferry and fishing vessels work. I am assuming they activate on my arrival/spawn. in the harbor?
Love the gulls following the boats.

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
UPDATE

And the ferry is there!! Woohoo.

I have to say the harbor looks utterly amazing. I've even got 2 coastguard vessels.

Now I suppose I'll have to add the dsiabled scenery one by one to see which one is causing the problem??

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »
Well it's all kicking off in Ketchikan Harbor - the ferry left PAKT at about 10 mins past the hour, 4 floatplanes departed nearby the 3 cruise liners at the harbor entrance and the icing on the cake was when the Tilda Kosan commercial vessel beached itself near the Eagle Air office building.

Fantastic!

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »

So does that mean the cruise liner and fishing boats enter and leave the harbor at preset times? Any idea what they are? It would have been helpful if the developer gave us an indication...I can't be doing with sitting around waiting in vain.

Hi Josh,

Each developer makes their own decision on what to say about the AI traffic departure times.  The Tongass Fjords X documentation talks about their AI Traffic and gives some departure information.   All of my sceneries that have AI Traffic have a table in the user guide that is very specific about departures.  The AI Shipping Project (which Dex created and I packaged) is expected to provide a general Ai Ship traffic presence and does not specify departure times or locations for the 350+ shipping tracks.

So as you can see, the AI departure information provided by developers can vary depending on their intent.  Many developer want you to encounter AI as you fly in a natural way and don't expect the user to want to go to a location at a certain time so they can see the AI.  Most AI is thought of as eye candy that you encounter somewhat randomly.     

Glad you did get the AI working.

Rod

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
Hi Rod

Understood.

But how do you know if you've installed correctly unless you 'stage manage'?
I have to admit it seems sometimes I'm fiddling around trying to get things to work more than I'm actually flying.

I got a little excited because after 7 yrs of flying RTMM I finally see Ketchikan harbor in all its glory.
When you live on a little Caribbean Island where nothing much happens these things light up your day!

May I also thank you [and the rest of the RTMM crew] for all you do both in terms of support and these excellent scenery add ons.

Josh

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
Rod - I wonder if you can help me yet again, please.

I'm in the midst of compiling an install log for the RTMM add-ons in MS Word that comprises a hyperlink to the folders and a brief note of pertinent info lifted from the appropriate 'readme' file [e.g., departure times for AI traffic, what scenery is required, etc.] for easy reference and I noticed that in addition to the Misty Cruise Ship folder I have a folder entitled 'Misty Cruise Ship World' containing a 'scenery' folder with this file in it: 'Traffic_MMC1.bgl'. I cannot remember where I got it from. I don't suppose you'd know, would you?

Thanks
Josh

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2019, 02:51:17 PM »
Sir Josh...

Traffic_MMC1.bgl is the AI traffic file from: 

Misty Cruise Ship (and Fishing Boats) Added 02.01.2012

By Dexter Thomas

NOTAM: This is only comparable with PAKT SP1 which you must already have installed.

This AI Traffic enhancement gives you a great cruise ship at a new docking area and small fishing boats in the area of Ketchikan Harbor.

Page LINK: http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/enhancements/#ai

File Direct Link: http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/enhancements/zipfiles/Misty_Cruise.zip

Norm

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
Sir Norm....

You are correct of course.

I confused myself in respect of these files, I forgot I created that extra 'world' folder in order to add to P3DAO - a senior moment for sure!! How embarassing.... :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks for your help.
Sir Josh

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
No problem Josh.. (I had to find it too as I have done the same with my sim. None of either the ALT/ADEX files or traffic files reside in the sim scenery-world-scenery folder. \

(I have created a separate ALT scenery folder (World Elevation ALT Add-ons) and another World AI Traffic Add-on scenery folder for AI Traffic files - (which has many sub folders to keep the AI traffic files for each DEV separate - so easy to turn ON or/OFF).  (These sit down low in the order- equivalent to layer 3 where they are supposed to be).

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
Hello

How are people handling the 'season switcher' and associated scenery folders if they are using the xml add-on method?

If I understand correctly, for the season switcher to work it must reside in a folder with the related RTMM scenery folders and is run prior to activating P3D.

Atm I have all my RTMM scenery in 3 separate folders outside of P3D, i.e., Flight Plan Scenery, RTMM Scenery and RTMM Traffic.

Does this mean that in order for season switcher to work I would have to create a new folder solely for scenery switcher associated scenery, add the scenery switcher to this folder and in P3DAO re-reference the season switcher scenery from this dedicated folder plus run season switcher prior to running P3D?
Regards
Josh

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 08:24:15 PM »
     The season switcher works on all files residing at OR below its folder.  So just place it in the root of your scenery drive.  It will search all sub-folders below its own.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
Jeff - thanks.
I've just realised all I needed to do was put the season switcher.exe file in my Flight Plans Scenery folder [that contains season switcher and non season switcher scenery folders] and run it.

I've checked using Aiken and it seems to work.

This sounds like more or less what you advised.

Thanks again
Josh