Author Topic: Question  (Read 6008 times)

kaha

Re: Question
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
John, be aware that on the GTX980 the DVI port is the primary display port (the one that shows the MoBo bios)

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

John

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 04:23:18 PM »
Karl and Norm,
I have new AVGA 600w power supply with 2 connectors for 6+2 pins.  Been using GT240 card in PCIE slot, not using MoBo card.  Don't know how to find or change ports ::).  I do have DVI-VGA adapter.  Don't know which MSI 785 MoBo I have :-\ maybe can find out if I reboot :)

John

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »
The ports being referred to are the I/O connector ports on the end of the GTX 980 card.  See pic below.  The DVI port is the one at the top of the pic.

Rod

John

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 12:09:47 AM »
Ok Rod, that's the port I connect to, thanks :)

Karl, my MoBo is MSI 785GM-E65 :)

John

John

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 07:05:32 PM »
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else is using an Athlon ll dual core 2.9 GHZ cpu or if everyone is way faster than mine ???

John

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 11:43:07 PM »
John,

When you said early in the thread that you weren't getting power to your monitor, did you mean that as far as you can tell, the GTX 980 has power (fans are spinning) but the monitor does not seem to be receiving a display signal from the GTX980?   If so, the problem may be the cable connection between the GTX980 DVI port and your monitor.  Does you monitor have a DVI input?  In other words are using a simple DVI monitor cable with the same male connector on both ends?  What is your monitor make and model?

Rod

John

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »
Rod, my monitor is Dell SE2416H, has ports for VGA and HDMI.  I'm using DVI-VGA adapter on VGA cable.  Tried HDMI hookup but it didn't work either.  :o

John

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 05:14:52 PM »
980 should have - 1-DVI-I, 1-HDMI 2.0, and a couple of DisplayPorts.

Not sure but don't think VGA can be adapted to DVI-I, (but VGA can adapt to DVI-D I think). But check if you monitor has an input setting to change it to VGA.

Now the best test would be to use HDMI calbe direct between the 980 and the monitor.  Do you have a straight HDMI cable kicking around (or maybe take one from the TV to try it in the 980 and your monitor again). This is a direct connect. Check/Change the input to auto on your monitor, or if no auto input, manually change to HDMI. If no go, your card is not working as required in your computer! But we figured that already! 
Either your PCI-E slot can't support the 980 card or you don't have the PSU hook up requirements to fully power that GPU. I dunno John.  If no work, take that box in to the PC guy!

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

John

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »
Thanks for the input Norm :) I'll try a different HDMI cable.  I know a great puter guru in Rapid Cty (31/2 hr drive) ::).  Probably gonna take it to him when I have time and money to do it :)

John

John

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »
Hi all, I have an update.  My computer guru couldn't find anything wrong with the GTX980 or with any other components in my PC.  He tried it on 2 other MOBOs ( older than mine and with less power ) and it worked just fine.  Only thing he can think of is that it just doesn't play well with my stuff.  So he installed a GTX260 in mine and it's a great improvement over the GT240 ;D.  So I'm good to go until I can upgrade my MOBO and cpu 8).
Need help with the FreeMeshX I have downloaded ::).  I have no idea how to install it ( no instructions ) :(
Thanks in advance :D

John

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »
Extract the FreeMeshX rar files to a temp directory. Which ever ones you have downloaded.

Place extracted scenery folders in your addon scenery folder (FSX) IE:

FreeMeshX - North America \ scenery

Add the scenery folders by continent in your sim scenery library.. The FreeMeshX patches scenery folder goes on top of the other FreeMeshX folders.

FreeMeshX - Patches \ scenery
FreeMeshX - North America \ scenery

Manually sequence all mesh folders right above the above the block of 5 FTX Global Vector Entries (If you have vector. (If you don't have vector - all the mesh folders go right above numbered default scenery folders). And below FTX OpenLC Scenery.

Mesh is just scenery folders.. set them up the same as any scenery.. except that they much be positioned as indicated.

Scenery blocks in pic appended. (Freemesh X Mesh goes in the exact same block/positition as the FSGlobal 2010 entries is indicated on the pic below:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:45:03 PM by nbrich1 »

John

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »
Thank you Norm, I'll see if I can wrap my brain around that ::)

John

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:43 PM »
Install guide (A bit old) still exists on the ninetwopro site and shows the folders, files and scenery entries and order for your scenery library.

LINK: http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/fmx-installation/

The block location shown on their pic is not correct for mesh.. but the rest on how to do it looks ok.

Norm

Correct Mesh block position indicated below:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:18:25 AM by nbrich1 »

John

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »
Ok, thanks :)