Author Topic: Scenery frame rate drop in 4.5  (Read 5025 times)

SteveA

Scenery frame rate drop in 4.5
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:43:51 AM »
I don't know if this is a P3Dv4.5 issue or not because I jumped from v3 and RTMM sceneries/libs downloaded 2 years ago.  That system was running great with all files until the host crashed.  I did a rebuild after a 2 year FltSim hiatus and decided to jump right to v4.5.  Since all of the RTMM libraries and Sceneries have been modified I have to rebuild that library.  I've been adding sceneries incrementally as required by the first couple of MFC Tours.  So I've been flying with just a dozen or so as documented in the Tours.  I worked on building an addon .xml configuration and when I had it ready I enabled all of the Sceneries and then tried to fly...  My frame rates had dropped from 90's to about 10.   So back to the initial Tour set.  Then I decided to check frame rates on each of the ones I've been using by enabling them one at a time and checking frame rates.   From just those I noticed the following

- Annette Island Fly-In (10-15 fps drop)
- Glacier Bay Tours (5 fsp drop), noticable but minor
- Metlakatla Jetty (10-15 fps drop)

My location when I was checking frame rate was floating at Tamgas (Z43) so maybe being close to the locations listed was pulling down frame rates.  I still have another 240 to check in the full load.   I'll have to do some more testing from other locations. 

Since 4.5 is new I was wondering if anybody that made the move from 4.4 to 4.5 noticed a difference in frame rates with RTMM libs loaded.

kaha

Re: Scenery frame rate drop in 4.5
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »
LM have detected a flaw in V4.5 that lets fps go down in some installations with some sceneries. They promised to have a fix soon. Maybe your installation is effected by this.

Read the story here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=133165&sid=1d7bedcab9aff193581667a13b2e081f&start=120#p196819

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »
Yup..  I have run into slow loading times with 4.5 over 4.4.  Running wise, 4.4 may have a few frames faster than 4.5 it looks like but Frames per say don't really matter as long as the sim is as smooth as silk.

Noticed one thing: Vector slows the sim a tad for some reason. If Secondary and Tertiary Roads and wetlands(swamps-Marshes) are turned off (I consider these non-important), it improves the sim performance.
But why would we want to turn off features? Again as long as the sim is smooth, the frames really don't matter but when your sim is bogged down.. that's when frames are the problem.!!.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

SteveA

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:04:27 PM »
I went back to my v3 install, same addons installed except it is the older collection of RTMM sceneries.  same aircraft, same routes, and with ALL RTMM sceneries installed/active I'm seeing double the frame rates in v3 as I'm getting with v4.5 and a handful of RTMM v2 sceneries activated.   I tagged that hotfix thread so for now I'll just fly v3 and see if the hotfix helps when it shows up.

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »
Too true.

I was once fixated with getting high FPS but now realise that if it's smooth is perfectly OK, even if it's 15-20fps.

It's just disappointing when you spend a little money on hardware upgrades it does not necessarily translate into more FPS or the FPS that you keep reading about!

One just has to accept that some megascenery is going to kill your pc and you can't use it to its intended level.

Maybe one day some genius will resolve that.

Josh.

PS If I was a childless single man maybe the excess cash might get me the performance I'd like! ;)

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat