Author Topic: Cigar Box on client?  (Read 1995 times)

kaha

Cigar Box on client?
« on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:50 PM »
Is there a way to run Cigar Box on a client and connect it to P3D running on the server?

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Cigar Box on client?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »
Not sure Karl.. but will check into it with the Website boss if it's possible.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:16:56 PM »
Hi Karl,
It all depends on how the network is set up.  If you are running P3D on the Client then yes.  But if you are using two different computers, no.  The easy way is to set it up and see if Cigar Box can communicate with P3D. 

Neither Norm or I have tried it, so you get to be the official tester!

Henry

Misty Moorings Team Member

kaha

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 03:26:11 AM »
Thank you Henry. Yes, I'm using two computers. I gave it a try but it doesn't work. That's obvious cause there would have to be a configuration option to input the IP address of the server.

Here is my reason for asking initially. Cigar Box is working reliably, not on a single flight I had problems. However, I was experiencing that when Cigar Box is running (after pressing "Start Flight") it is interfering with the smoothness of P3D. This is nothing to blame Cigar Box for, it also applies to other software running in parallel to the sim like weather tools. My P3D is externally locked to 30 Hz and runs smoothly at 30 FPS. With additional software running  I see jumps in the FPS count and this causes stutters. This is rather a sync issue than a performance issue.

A possibility to avoid this is to run the additional software on a client computer (as I do with Little NavMap and Active Sky).

Another possibility is to restrict the additional software to cores that are less utilized by P3D. So I took a look with HWINFO64 and decided to restrict Cigar Box to cores 5 and 7 using an affinity mask to invoke Cigar Box.

Here is how I did it, maybe this can be for some help for others:

- create a file with the name xxxx.bat
- edit the file and put the following line into it:

start /B "" /affinity A0 "C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\FS-Products\Cigar Box\kACARSII - MistyFlyingClub.exe"

- start xxxx.bat by double clicking it

A0 is the affinity mask for cores 5 and 7. Here is a affinity mask calculator:

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=utilties

This eliminated all issues and the sim is running smooth like silk again.

Karl

scanham

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 07:21:40 AM »
I have been running Cigar Box on a client computer using WideFS since first installing it and it works fine. However, I use FSX-SE on my main computer (not P3D).

I also run all my other software on the client including: Active Sky Next & Plan-G which frees up all the resources for FSX
Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

kaha

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 07:41:43 AM »
Yes, WideFS forwards all connections to other PCs, so Cigar Box thinks it talks to FSX/P3D on the client.

I don't have WideFS, but yes, it would be an option. Have to check if there is a free version like with FSUIPC.

Thx,
Karl

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »
WideFS should be included with the paid version of FSUIPC.  Being somewhat of a purist, I don't use any programs other than charts and real weather and have never had an issue with the system bogging down.  But.......all is dependent on CPU, GPU and other resource dependent programs.  It is my understanding that this works well, but I don't for sure.

Henry