Author Topic: Nice try  (Read 2507 times)

kaha

Nice try
« on: April 17, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
I tried to take off, but it didn't work. Even with lowest fuel load and no payload there was no chance.  ;D

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Nice try
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »
Karl ... hope you have "crash off" ??? :-)

Misty's is a tight little runway, I too have had fun trying different "larger" planes there. The DC3 can get out ok.  Fun to put a 747 on the Misty Runway ... I think it shows how little Misty's Place is or how Big a 747 is ... but best to switch back to the Misty Amphibian before you hit the throttle!

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 02:17:13 PM »
Yep, DC3, C47, BT67 can do it (BT67 just barely!) But fun to try.

Short Field take off: DC3/C47 VR is 84 kts but can do it much less if slow climb..

http://www.dc3airways.com/technical/flying_fsx_takeoff.htm

Short Field Takeoffs

The DC-3 has excellent short-field takeoff performance, considering its size and weight. In this case, short filed means any runway 2300 ft in length or shorter.

The first difference in a short-field takeoff is that flaps are used, where a normal takeoff is without the flaps deployed. Here is the technique:

At the end of the runway, drop one-notch of flaps.
    Set the parking brake ON.
    Go to full throttle (F4 key) and when the manifold pressure reaches 48 in, release the parking brake.
    Keep forward pressure on the yoke to prevent too-early lift off.
    Gauge the field length in front of the aircraft during rollout and if runway length permits, lift off at 84 kts.

In extreme cases, lift off can be as low as 72 kts, then at 100 ft AGL, level off and let airspeed increase to      or 84 kts, and then continue with a normal climb.

Be aware that you must get everything "right" the first time on a short-field takeoff; there is no runway in front of you to abort a takeoff.

Use any available headwind to your advantage, It can be a tremendous help.
lol..

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

kaha

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
Thx, good explanation.
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020