Author Topic: Lorby Addon Organizer for P3D V4 Discussion  (Read 3307 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Lorby Addon Organizer for P3D V4 Discussion
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »
I'm curious about this addition and was hoping someone on our forum might be using it and could answer some questions for us.  Our whole area is "extensive" to say the least. Then add on the other things you might have around the world, and it goes from "extensive" to HUGE. But we aren't flying all those places all the time. So we only need to have turned "on" the area or group we are flying. This would help with loading time, etc.

That seems to be a main reason for this addition, that you can form groups and switch them on and off.

My situation is a little unique because I am continually tweaking and modifying the locations to make them better for everyone. We had to adjust the smoke at 600 of them last year, we are working on routes this year. We are almost finished with the 2019 Refresh Updates ... but all of these cause me to change the bgl for the scenery. Since I'm doing this, literally, on a daily basis ... is this Lorby Addon Organizer viable for me? Is this thing going to get "confused" when I change a location's bgl, etc?

If we have some folks that are using this with RTMM ... I'd love to hear from you and discuss this application in this thread so we can all get a better handle on it.

Doug

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Lorby Addon Organizer for P3D V4 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:13:11 AM »
Doug,
Scenery Config Editor already does what you're looking for,

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 02:43:08 PM »
I use Scenery Config Editor (SCE) but I don't use add-on.xml for my scenery addons.  I just use a 4 TB SSD for now :).

I beleive if someone wants to switch groups of add-on.xml connected scenery files on and off then SCE won't work.  I think Lorby handles add-on.xml file group switching but can't add any more knowledge about using it.

Rod

rgerdes

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:16:08 PM »
I've been using Lorby for a year or more.
I have two  folders in Documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-ons:
RTMM Libraries and RTMM Sceneries.
So far that has worked for me; I add the libraries and sceneries under the Scenery heading using scenery and library for the Add-on.xml title.
Sound, Effects, SimObjects etc. I add under the Other addons heading.
Haven't used the Groups feature yet.
Bob

dexthom

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »
I still do it the old way by going to the scenery config file and turning them on or off as the situation requires.

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 03:56:05 AM »
I'm using "Lorby Prepar3D Addon Organizer" for a long time now and I didn't experience any problems. So I'm very happy with this tool.
Although developed by a German the software is in English and should not pose difficulties for English speaking users.
It can be used for Prepar3D-versions 4.x and 3.x!
If you want to add a scenery you have the choice between "Add to add-on-xml" and "Add to scenry.cfg".
But it's not mandatory to use the xml-method. As long as Orbx-FTXCentral3 is not able to recognize xml-encoded bgl files, I only use the bgl method.

In addition, it is easily possible to create groups. When done, these ones can be deactivated if necessary and also activated again.
But the software offers much else.
It is required to read the RTMM "readme"-files  for a proper RTMM scenery installation.
And of course it is necessary to read the Lorby manual, written in English. Otherwise you are lost ...
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Doug

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 09:19:30 AM »
The xml seemed like taking a BIG chance of screwing things up. That you can stay with the 'bgl' side of things seems a lot safer to me.  I've got the software downloaded and am printing out the manual to take with me on a day trip today (wife is shopping!).

Doug

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »
I've not got it installed (1 minute!). I have successfully created groups and can activate/deactivate them. For instance, I have a group for each of the ORBX areas. Since I'm not flying S California when I'm in the RTMM area, I have that deactivated. So I have been able to deactivate SCA, CRM, NRM, NCA and my Hawaii files. When I check the P3D V4 scenery library, they are all unchecked as they should be. One click and I can turn them on/off, whole groups.

With what I don't need turned off, I thought P3D V4 would load a lot quicker ... but that's not happening. I'm bringing in all of the RTMM scenery and I'm sure that's what keeps it slow.

But I'm very impressed with the ease of turning on/off whole areas. But have to admit, so far, I don't see much difference whether they are turned on or off.

I'm only scratching the surface with what can be done with this (baby steps). I'm going to look next at the backup and restore features.  So far, I've not used the xml features, only bgl.

kaha

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »
...So far, I've not used the xml features, only bgl.

Same thing. All XML addons show up in the same list. When deactivating them the software changes the respective add-on.xml file in a way that P3D does not recognize the addon scenery any more.

Be careful if you use any other scenery organizer in parallel. If you do you should read section 3.13 in the manual.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020