Author Topic: Cigar Box acting up  (Read 2828 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Cigar Box acting up
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:50 PM »
Lately, Actually 3 out of my last ten flights, I've had to re-start a leg on a tour after Cigar Box went un-responsive during a flight. This happened twice on my last tour and just now on the Yukon River tour leg from Whitehorse to Carmacks.

I'm going to un-install Cigar Box and try a new installation but kind of frustrating to land, stop the flight and then find the app is not responding to anything. Mouse clicks, tab key, nothing. Task manager says the program is not responding and needs to be closed.

Wasted time is not cool.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Cigar Box acting up
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »
Uninstalled Cigar Box. Reinstalled and was able to complete the tour leg this time. Fingers crossed for the next flights.

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:00:39 PM »
Hmmm. Ok Brad, No other reports but we'll have to watch this. It could be glitches with the server provider.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

av8erjm

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:22:22 PM »
I've come across things like the time out warning and the one that keeps saying try again, but when I go to the tour page it has always reported and have been able to continue

robw

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
I've come across things like the time out warning and the one that keeps saying try again, but when I go to the tour page it has always reported and have been able to continue
I've been having exactly the same problem on every MFC flight I've done for the last month or so. I was looking here for any other posts of a problem and found this thread.

I've been away from flying since last Nov and only started again in March so my Windows 7 has had a few updates since then but nothing else has changed in my P3D configuration or add-ons.

Whenever I submit a PIREP Cigar Box spins it's wheels for a long time and eventually reports it has timed out and to try again - this cycle repeats for as many times as I try to submit the report. However, if I check on the MFC site I can see the report has been accepted. If I restart Cigar Box and try to submit a saved report it then says the report has already been submitted. Other than that Cigar Box seems to be working ok and I haven't had any other responsiveness problems.

I'll reinstall Cigar Box and report back after I've done a couple more flights.

Rob

nbrich1

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
It is the ping BACK that is tardy sometimes. The pirep usually gets to the site in very fast time (under 15 secs) but the ping  BACK to your Cigar Box that the pirep has been received at times not being received within a time period and Cigar Box asks to try again?.  If you look on the site you'll see that pirep did indeed get to the site so there is no need to "Try again" when prompted by Cigar Box.

We are trying to isolate the slow ping BACK, it maybe server glitch but suspect a combination of activities happening simultaneously that are preventing a timely ping BACK. IE: One pilot files a pirep, and while that pirep is being handled multiple pireps are being submitted by other pilots or pilots creating bids on the site.

The site, while handling all the processes fine, appears to be slow or in sending the ping back for pirep confirmation and at times exceeds the Cigar Box time out when there is lots of simultaneous activity.

Working on it.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 12:03:16 AM »
     It happens to me every time.  I send the pirep, then get the error.  Not sometimes, or during certain circumstances.  Every time.   ;)  (... my 2 cents)  :P

ps ... it's still working, just gives the error.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:05:23 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

nbrich1

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 08:25:02 AM »
Ok Jeff. That would be definitely be very annoying all the time (and the only way you know it's working is check the site only to see that every time the pirep made it there!!) PITA!.

Indeed there is is a lot more daily activity and many more flying everyday than in the past but the site should be able to handle it.  Trying to rectify!

John

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »
My does the same as Jeffs  :(

John

kaha

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 03:15:13 PM »
I did a lot of flights this month and I estimate I have 30% errors, 70% working.
Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 08:20:32 PM »
It's not that bad really.  Just a mouse click to close the error message, and all is good.  I'm use to it by now.  ;D

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

John

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »
Me too  8)

John

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:33:01 PM »
I have tried this several times today and of course I didn't see the error....but I have.  I don't know of any Pirep that hasn't filed....it seems that the confirmation part is what is going astray.  Unfortunately the developer has stopped providing support.  Norm and I hate to abandon Cigar Box as we had the application designed for our use, but it is obvious that something isn't right. 

What I don't know is if the problem is with Cigar Box or the hosting service...or maybe even the web site.  Right now the issue is irritating but to effecting the actual operation.  Your flights are being recorded, usually within seconds....the pop up or lack there of remain a mystery .....but we are looking into it.....no promises of a solution but we are on it!

Henry

av8erjm

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
When it was happening to me, I uninstalled the CB and did a search and removed anything that looked like it was connected somehow, then reloaded the CB and so far it never has done it again, knock on wood.