Author Topic: Can't install any Misty items  (Read 6171 times)

THibben

Can't install any Misty items
« on: March 12, 2019, 12:09:00 PM »
I recently had to uninstall FSX and reinstall.  Since the reinstall I can no longer install any Misty scenery.  I haven't a clue as to what the problem is.

I am using windows 9 on a very high end computer.  FSX is running properly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom
Tom

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Can't install any Misty items
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »
Tom ... if you've got a high end computer, and you are basically starting over, you really should give P3D V4+ a look. It is SOOOOO much better with many less errors and you are using all of your computer's core with 64 bit. However, that aside .....

When you "can't install any Misty scenery" ... explain that for us and we'll try to help. You download it, then you start to install ... what is your procedure and what isn't happening for you?

Doug

THibben

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply.  I do have P3D v4 but I just couldn't figure out how to run it.  My biggest problem is my age has caught up with me and my memory is gone.

As to my Misty problems.  I download files and try to install as I always have but they just won't show up on the monitor as they always used to.

Tom
Tom

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »
I guess you are using Windows 10 (9 never really existed). But you have a new OS install.

The downloaded files may be going to a hidden folder- if directed elsewhere by the reinstalled browser. Or perhaps the file extensions of those files might be hidden (which is a windows setting to un-hide them. (Have to uncheck hide known file extensions.

(To un-hide folder extensions: Click the "Folder Options" item in the popup menu that appears. A dialog box appears. Click the "View" tab at the top of the window. Look for a setting "Hide file extensions for known file types" and uncheck the box beside it to disable it and voila the file extensions will be visible).

Also might want to un-hide all of the folders/files:
To do this: View hidden files and folders in Windows 10

Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
    Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
    Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK. 
(To hide again, go to the same but click Don't show hidden files, folders or drives.)

So #1, have to establish where your download files are going and then have the ability to see them.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

THibben

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »
Norm,

Thanks for the input.  I thought I had already done that but when I re installed FSX I forgot to do that again.

Tom
Tom

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 12:28:49 AM »
You also have to determine what folder your downloads are located in. Some browsers such as Chrome send them to folders other than the default Windows "Downloads" folder.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

THibben

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 05:10:09 PM »
After struggling for a couple of days I have manged to get several  of the Misty Moorings items installed.

Misty's place looks okay except for some of the trees.  Even though I have the season set to summer the fir trees have limbs but no foliage.  I still have the part III Library to install.  It has been a real struggle.

Tom

I have been trying to get all of the scenery installed and started on Part III.  I installed a few more of the areas but now when I load the Object Tester and am at PANT there are no installed objects visible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:01:25 PM by THibben »
Tom

THibben

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
Reinstalled the scenery tester and all is right again.  Who knows why it went away for a while.

Am slowly getting there.

Tom
Tom

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
Tom ... per my other post, don't forget to re-download Misty's Place. I had a problem with the setting on the season switcher (my fault). It is now fixed. That will fix those trees for you.

Doug

THibben

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »
Doug,

Thanks, i will try that.

Tom
Tom

BBQSteve

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »
Ya know, with all the bright guys we have here, one would think that someone would have invented an installer for this scenery. Just saying, as we all are progressing to old age, things get a little more complicated than we are able to deal with.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
The reasons for not providing scenery installers have been discussed many, many times on this forum. 'Aint gonna happen. Period. Just from a technical standpoint, it would take countless hours to update an installer every time a scenery file, or files, are updated - which is pretty often and has been going on steadily since this last December at a furious pace. Downloading and installing scenery should literally take a minute or 2 anyway.

A wile back, Jeff had some good explanations for some of our reasons for not creating installers.
http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3929.msg34783#msg34783
http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3631.msg32126#msg32126

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

THibben

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 04:30:54 PM »
I am back to having the same problem as before.  I can't get some scenery installed.  I have installed Ketchikan and the airfield. But that is ORBX.  I am trying to install Hunter Bay cannery and am getting know where.  I haven't been able to install anything except Misty's.

There is something major I am not doing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
Tom

THibben

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
Please, any thoughts?  I can't get any scenery installed except Misty's.  I get the scenery installed and visible in the main directory but not visible when flying.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:27:41 AM by THibben »
Tom

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
Don't get it Tom.. The scenery downloads are zip files.  Like it is a matter of 1. Unzip the zip to a temp folder.  2. Place the extracted folders/files: IE: the Add-on Scenery folder, Effects/Sound folders/files (if any), place any scenery-world-scenery files/(where applicable), then set up the add-on scenery folder in your scenery libs. (then make sure the scenery position/insertion points are set up - Done. 

There is the procedural tricky FSX scenery lib issue where you have to click on empty space to get the add-on piece added or you could just get around it by direct edit of the scenery.cfg

Ok, do you have the RTMM Libs in?, ORBX?, Tongass?  Like how are you trying to do it? 

I have a busy week but if need be, can help you set this stuff up via teamviewer (remote access). Just let me know if you are open to this if you're totally stuck and can try to arrange a time. (which might be a bit difficult to set up since it appears by your location you are on Pacific time whereas I am on Eastern but we can try. (Just email me).

Norm
(norm_richards@hotmail.com)
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^