Author Topic: Refreshed Bettles  (Read 9032 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Refreshed Bettles
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 04:54:55 PM »
Thanks for this update Steve,

Okay I'm going to install the updated library now and will report back. One thing I did notice before I go further is after unzipping this latest update on my system, I noticed that the sub-folder inside RTMM Libraries Part IV's latest update includes a date of 2.11.19 ??

Might want to change that as well to avoid confusion moving forward.

Brad

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2019, 05:58:58 PM »
Excellent. I have the building showing as designed now.

Thank you Steve. Maybe the duplicates were causing an issue afterall?

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2019, 08:54:40 PM »
There was a problem or 2 in the Part IV library that I had Doug put up today. There's a new/new Part IV Library you need to grab. Sorry.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

av8erjm

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2019, 11:39:13 PM »
Sorry if I confused the two, but in using FSX I found Part IV to be a problem for my using it from the floating buildings  ETC at PAKT to others. Not trying lay blame, just reflections from my point of view

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 06:54:56 AM »
The Part IV library absolutely can have nothing to do with floating buildings. All it did was consolidate objects, textures and effects that were scattered around in a handful of miscellaneous RTMM scenery files. Make sure that you download the revised scenery that is listed in the Part IV readme. The newest release of the Part IV library cleans up some duplicate textures, that you helped us to identify, were already in another RTMM library. If you have floating buildings at PAKT then you should do a search for the solution which was addressed many, many moons ago. Please post screenshots of your problems so we can help you solve them. That's what we're here for.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
Also, keep in mind that occasional floating buildings (autogen) is a known bug in FSX.  It is random.  Here is an excerpt from a Holger Sandmann post that talks about it:

The floating autogen houses are an unfortunate bug of FSX, or rather a side effect of how it loads terrain mesh and places autogen on it.

While flying in FSX the landscape components at mid to far distances are not loaded in full detail but rather at lower-resolution versions, often referred to as LODs or Level of Detail. Think of it as concentric rings of decreasing detail moving along with your aircraft. It's a common approach in games to keep frame rates at acceptable levels.

These lower-detail versions of data include the terrain mesh. Autogen trees and buildings are placed directly on top of this terrain, again a certain distance from the user aircraft (visible as the "popping-up" effect), and their elevation is fixed once placed. In mountainous terrain, especially in narrow valleys like at Skagway, the lower-detail terrain may have significantly different elevations than the highest-detail version. Thus, if the autogen gets placed while the lower-detail version is still being displayed then the autogen ends up in the air when the higher-detail terrain mesh replaces the lower-detail version. It's much more pronounced for buildings than trees because houses are placed in larger groups.

Unfortunately, there's no known fix for this, though perhaps choosing a LOD_RADIUS= parameter value in the fsx.cfg file may help with loading the higher-detail mesh sooner (I haven't tested this myself). A work-around is to refresh the scenery when you see floating buildings (you can set a key combination for that in the FSX Controls menu) but that is, of course, not a very satisfying solution.
In any case, any location with significant local terrain gradients is likely to suffer from this issue, anywhere on the FSX planet.

Rod

av8erjm

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
Well speaking for myself, the ''new improved'' Part IV is working great, Thank you to all involved, drinks are on me at Misty's