Author Topic: AI Float Plane Enhancement Scenery Installs  (Read 2085 times)

ANN XPAT

AI Float Plane Enhancement Scenery Installs
« on: March 15, 2019, 03:00:12 PM »
Everything hummin along OK installing bits and pieces, making my first Tour flight and dipping my lilly white toes in the cold SE AK water at RTMM. I don't know doodly squat about scenery files.

I installed the shipping AI, then Tongass Float AI and last the Misty AI traffic.

In reading the Misty instructions, it tells me to install Traffic_MM_FSX_floatplanes.bgl which is dated 3/6/2011 file size 11kb  on top of the existing file from the recently installed Tongass Narrows AI which is dated 2/15/2012 file size 73kb. Doesn't sound right so I thought I would ask here and confirm??

The second part of the Readme wants me to place the ADEX files into my sceneryaddon folder, I believe, and install as a normal scenery.... I think....

Should I just install this ADAX file as if it were a scenery folder by moving into the addons folder and placing it with the scenery tool just above the ORBX files which the instructions say to do. Seems odd, but again, I don't know enough to proceed without confirmation.

A bit confused here... thought it best to hold off installing Misty AI Float Traffic until I understand.

Cheers,

Bob

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: AI Float Plane Enhancement Scenery Installs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 05:51:47 PM »
Give the newer file a quick name change:

From Traffic_MM_FSX_floatplanes.bgl

to

Traffic_MM_FSX_floatplanes-2.bgl

so the files don't overwrite each other but each should still work independently since they are for different AI areas.

After you get the AI in, make sure you update the P3Dv4 RED fixes: for Tongass as well as some RTMM models - in Step Table 9 and 10 of the P3Dv4 page.  (Theses are critical for use in P3Dv4x.). (I have CTD many times since I got the FSX Models in the AI simobjects).

Link: http://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/index.php#9

2nd part: ADEX files.  (Many set it up totally different when referencing ADEX files: Either ADE* non ALT
and/or ADEX ALT or just ALT files)

Most can go in with the scenery, BUT not if ALT files (I have found). Others may have a totally different option but the way I have set up my sim scenery (if it means anything..lol) is that  Any ADE* files that have "ALT" (or any ALT files) have to go below the add-on scenerys.

Like really the ALT files should be down layer 1 (equivalent to the same layer as scenery-world-scenery as it sets the elevation/terrain), (That's where I have all my ALT files set up).

(At least put the ALT files below the any AFCad files and also below any add-on scenerys with ADEX but non-ALT ADEX files.).  Make sense? Or totally confused?.   

(Different opinions on this stuff, but ALT down in layer 1 works in my system ok). 

Hope this helps.. (clear as mud?).

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

ANN XPAT

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »
Thank You for the assistance Norm.

If I understand your post right, I can simply treat the ADEX folder like any other named scenery folder that would contain a sub folder named scenery filled with .bgl files and move a copy of it to AddOnScenery. Fire up P3D and use the scenery tool to activate it. Move that ADEX entry per instructions in the scenery tool. I'm going to assume the tool will just treat it like any other scenery folder, even though this one does not have a sub folder named scenery???

Cheers,
Bob

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
Like I set mine up as World ALT (with the standard sub folders "scenery" and "texture" folder just for consistency. (But if you're using xml to set it up then you really dont need a subfolder).
But the odd time you might get a texture file.

For these ALT files and (IF Texture), you have to force these to the bottom of the scenery lib so add it in as part of your xml:

IE:
-<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Scenery</Category>
<Path>Q:\Addons\Addon Scenery\World ALT\scenery</Path>
<Name>World ALT</Name>
<Layer>3</Layer>
</AddOn.Component>

-<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Texture</Category>
<Path>Q:\Addons\Addon Scenery\World ALT\texture</Path>
<Type>WORLD</Type>
</AddOn.Component>

Then after enabled and you view the sim scenery library order you'll see the scenery at layer3 at the bottom (with everything else on top instead of it sitting on top like a regular scenery add-on.

Now if you add scenery via the old/conventional way (IE: scenery.cfg or direct in your sim scenery, you can also add this world ALT\scenery folder and simply move that scenery file down to the bottom just above Default Scenery - DONE.

(You'll notice my paths above in these xml entries. (no add-on scenery is in my sim root folders (Except the ORBX except the "Global textures"  - but I hear that Orbx is trying to figure out a way to use xml and keep their required global texture files/folder outside the root sim texture folder). All fun and games.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

ANN XPAT

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
Hi Norm,

Again, thank you for the hand holding. My BAD here. After reading the install instructions for the fourth time they clearly state I should create a folder for RTMM airports, add a scenery subfolder and place the .bgl files in the ADEX folder into the scenery folder. Truly senior moment(s) here the past few days.

I also followed your advice to pay close attention to steps 9 and 10 of the install procedures. I believe I have all the pieces in place now with the exception of some repaints for RTMM for my Beaver and Manfred Jahn's DC3.

I am still having learning hiccups with moving from the first to second leg after completing the first inside Cigar Box. I'll keep at it, take some notes and see if I can learn the process in more detail.

Thanks again. I am really enjoying flying an area that I have lived in for over 30 years with all the detail that both RTMM and Tongas X adds.

Cheers,
Bob