Author Topic: Ryan's Cabins, and also the Google Earth KMZ map.  (Read 2678 times)

Beardgoblin

Ryan's Cabins, and also the Google Earth KMZ map.
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:24:38 AM »
Hi folks,

couple of quick questions:

I've been unable to find/figure out which other pack Ryan's Cabins to download.

I did a search of the RTMM that turned up a couple of .bgls for them (looks like some find of file library/archive, just file a directory displayed, not a download page like the others) - I installed them and they seem to work.

I get the feeling, however, that thses are some sort of retired files - should I uninstall them and look for the correct ones?  If so, which of the scenery downloads are they part of?

They are on Somerville Island, SE of PAKT, N of CYPR.  They don't appear to be part of the 'Missing Cabins' scenery (I have that one installed).

Also, the Google Earth KMZ map is an incredible tool - really handy for helping me to find my way around, and figure out which of the RTMM scenery I want to install for my next flight(s),

I have downloaded it and created my own folder, so I can copy/paste locations to it and switch the map to display only the locations I havve installed.

Sadly, each time I do this, I seem to be missing something, as when I come to fire it up for the next session all my copied map markers have reverted to the generic yellow pin marker.  I'm assuming there is a trick I'm missing for copying/saving this data, so does anyone have any pointers for me, before I try to rebuild my custom map markers list again?

Cheers!
The New Rig:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6GHz, 32 Gig RAM, RTX 2060 D6 6GB V2 GPU, T16000M FCS Hotas, Logitech 3 stick Throttle Quad.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Ryan's Cabins, and also the Google Earth KMZ map.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
For some reason, we have Ryan's Cabins in the database and all seems fine with it, it simply isn't on the scenery page ... and I don't know why.  But it is there now.  As we come down through the 2019 Refresh, we will soon be in the "R's" so we'll give it a good inspection and fixup when we get to it. Thank you for spotting this one ... its amazing when one "escapes" like that. But we have it back now.

Thank you
Doug
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:29:48 AM by Doug »

Beardgoblin

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »
Cool!

It just happened to be in my area of interst by pure chance, otherwise it sounds like you would have found it soon, when you hit up the 'R' section as part of the 2019 update.

I'll keep an eye out for the updated version arriving.
The New Rig:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6GHz, 32 Gig RAM, RTX 2060 D6 6GB V2 GPU, T16000M FCS Hotas, Logitech 3 stick Throttle Quad.

simurq

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:20 PM »
I have downloaded it and created my own folder, so I can copy/paste locations to it and switch the map to display only the locations I havve installed.

Sadly, each time I do this, I seem to be missing something, as when I come to fire it up for the next session all my copied map markers have reverted to the generic yellow pin marker.  I'm assuming there is a trick I'm missing for copying/saving this data, so does anyone have any pointers for me, before I try to rebuild my custom map markers list again?

Hi Beardgoblin,

When you first open the KMZ map downloaded from RTMM, it connects to my Dropbox account to download the actual file including all geodata and styling information. I've done this intentionally in order not to force users to re-download the map with each update. When you copy markers to a custom folder, you also copy references to styles used in the map. Now, when you save and re-open the map, Google Earth reads in the reference data, but cannot find actual links to markers (image files) used in original (networked) KMZ file, hence falling back to default markers (yellow pins).

Here is the map, which the original KMZ file downloads from my Dropbox account. You can add your custom folders and markers to it as you've done before. If you save and re-open the map, it should show the custom markers as you wish. Please note however that you won't be able to get updates with this file. Updates are available only if you get the map from here or here.

Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:03:54 PM by simurq »
Vüqar "Rustam" Quliyev

Beardgoblin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
Cheers simurq,  this will be very handy indeed!
The New Rig: