Author Topic: Tongass Fjords Initial Install Not Right -OK FIGURED IT OUT!  (Read 5328 times)

canadagoose

Tongass Fjords Initial Install Not Right -OK FIGURED IT OUT!
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Hi there, I just purchased Tongass Fjords and I am currently installing for P3Dv4.4. The installation seemed to go off Perfectly, after following the Instructions on Avsim (Updated 23\01\18). The instructions say:

"The Installer will also Automatically create a folder in your C Drive and Install the remaining 4 folders there, Effects, Scenery, Simobjects and Sound,  this exact location is........ 

Local Disk (C)  ► Program Files (x86)  ► Microsoft Games ► Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

It did generate "Program Files (x86)  ► Microsoft Games", but NOT the folder "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" ► and the "Effects, Scenery, Simobjects and Sound" Folders. I'm not sure where these folders and or content now reside on my computer or if they were ever created. I attempted the installation a second time and the result was the same, I did not see the 4 folders.

Regards,
Tom
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:04:14 PM by canadagoose »

canadagoose

Re: Tongass Fjords Initial Install Not Right -OK FIGURED IT OUT!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
I think I have figured it out. The 4 folders were installed in a desktop Folder I have reserved for Temporary files. I'm not sure why the installer did not install to my Dummy Flight Simulator X Folder? Anyway thanks to anyone who may have been racking their brain over this.

Regards

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
After you got the folders/files in place don't over look the 40 terrain entries for the terrain.cfg in folder:
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and to set up the FTX insertions points. (OPENLC entry goes  just below Tongass Lower)

Norm

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

canadagoose

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:18:58 PM »
Thanks Norm, I did those things, but just to test I loaded P3dV4.4 and placed my aircraft on Gate 1 at PASI and the elevations look fine. I do notice while sitting on Runway 29 the markings are a combo black and white and there is a rock build up on the left side of the runway. Is that normal for Sitka? I do have installed ORBX  Pacific NW Pacific Fjords and S Alaska.. The Elevation is a bit raised behind the terminal, not flat. It seems all the Airports included on the Tongass Map are sunken and the elevations are not right for PASI, PAFE, PAPG, PAWG, PAKW, CZST, CBM5, CBW4. PAKT seems OK as it is an ORBX Payware.  I have set the Insertion Point for OpenLC entries to fall below Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority and they do, but for some reason "ORBX OpenLC_!Europe_Lights" does not stick below Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority and appears ABOVE Tongass_Fjords_Higer_Priority. Maybe this is causing the elevation problem, I wish I knew.

Regards

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:42:49 AM by canadagoose »

Dieter

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 04:03:15 AM »
Did you install the 8 elevation adjustment files into \scenery\world\scenery?
i.e.
AF2_FSX_TF_PAWG_elevation_adjustment.BGL
same for
- PASI
- PAPG
- PAKW
- PAFE
- CBW4
- CBM5
- CAB5
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:05:17 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

canadagoose

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »
I believe I did. But I will double check that and report back. I was thinking I had one of those ORBX Config problems where I have to Disable an airport. That usually fixes these elevation issues.

Thanks for your reply.

canadagoose

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »
I just checked and I do have the 8 elevation files under scenery\world\scenery. This is what the Airport elevation at  PAFE looks like on Runway 29:

canadagoose

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
The elevation adj. files obviously are not doing the trick. Maybe the scenery is not optimized for the latest version P3Dv4.4. I originally bought it for FS2004 and repurchased basically, for the 8 Airports\Airfields included as well as the way it cleans up the coastlines, inlets and fjords. I can easily Disable it and leave it installed until it is updated for P3Dv4.4.

Thanks,
Tom

Dieter

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 03:55:02 AM »
The problem is not the new version P3D v4.4!
I just checked it, Tongass area is working without problems like before in v4.3.

(Btw, there will never be an update for Tongass X, as Holger Sandmann cleary stated several times.
All rights on Tongass X are with FsAddon/Francois Dumas. Orbx/Holger Sandmann don't have any rights on this scenery. So they can't do anything!)

- Did you follow these instructions:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/491556-installing-tongass-fjords-x-prepar3d-v3-v4/

http://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/index.php#9
Step table #5

If yes, your insertion points might not be set correctly. Tongass X lower and higher must be positioned (in priority) lower than all Orbx scenery stuff and higher than Orbx openLC in your scenery.cfg. After doing so don't forget to save your work in FTXCentral.

Do you perhaps use an additional (higher) resolution mesh like Pilot's Global Ultimate? Even Pilot's Global 2010 FTX or Global 2018 FTX will cause problems in Tongass area here and there.
The Tongass x software doesn't need any additional mesh because everything ist already included in the software. If you have an additional mesh active, try to deactivate the North America part of it.

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

canadagoose

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
Thanks for your response Dieter, yes, I have followed all instructions to the letter, including the Misty Moorings update files for AI etc. My insertion points are as you describe above. You got me thinking now, and thanks for the heads up, yes, I do have Payware Mesh purchased from Toposim (formerly FSGenesis). I do not want to disable the North American mesh just for the sake of using TongassX. But, in any event that may be my problem. I will test this by disabling  the mesh for North America, or are there certain files I can disable for just that region. Maybe that is a question for the Toposim people.  I will get back to you.

BTW, as well, In scenery\world\scenery I also notice there are several .bgl's for eg. ADE_FTX_SAK_PACV that were placed there when I installed the  ORBX South Alaska Region. Is it possible these files may be creating a conflict?

Regards,
Tom
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:18:53 PM by canadagoose »

canadagoose

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »
I noticed in the Toposim North American folder there are Alaska *.bgl's and one for British Columbia. The Alaskan ones are as follows:

Two files: Alaska_Panhandle LOD9-11 and LOD12-13
Two files: Alaska_Southeast LOD9-11 and LOD12-13
Two files: Alaska_Southeast LOD9-11 and LOD12-13
one File: Alaska_Southwest LOD9-11
one files: Alaska_Western LOD9-11
one files: Canada_British Columbia LOD9-11

Just wondering if you would have an idea as to which or all of these I should Disable?

Regards,
Tom

Dieter

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:04 PM »
Tongass X is a software independant from Orbx SAK. ADE_FTX_SAK_PACV doesn't influence Tongass X.
TongassX fills the gap between SAK and PFJ.
I don't know this Toposim mesh so I can't answer your mesh question but try to deactivate (not disable) one region mesh after another and see if the problem is solved.

Btw, you might also get problems in Orbx areas using this mesh, but that something you must experience.
All Orbx full fat regions (like SAK, PFJ, PNW a.s.o.) bring their own mesh, landclass, vector, objects and textures! So an additional mesh is not necessary in theses areas  and might sometimes have negative effects.
Many greetings
Dieter

Penzoil3

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:52:38 PM by Penzoil3 »

canadagoose

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
Dieter, I have just been in contact with Toposim and they do indeed have an Alaska "Ultra Mesh" that I have access to that I did not know about. I am currently downloading it and will install shortly. According to Toposim, " The UltraMesh Alaska takes the ORBX AK and TONGASS products into account", meaning it should fix these anomoly's. I downloaded and installed and I am happy to report that it seems to have fixed the elevation issues. So, ultimately this is all I needed to complete the TFX installation successfully. Thanks again to everyone for your concern and help with this, I should be OK now.

Best Regards,
Tom