Author Topic: P3Dv4.4 and RTMM  (Read 5632 times)

baxterbj

P3Dv4.4 and RTMM
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:47:49 PM »
Hi Folks, Like many of you, I have a huge amount of RTMM scenery installed in P3Dv4.3.
All of my RTMM scenery is installed on a external SSD to that of P3D.
However my question is: If I follow the procedure, uninstall client, reinstall, uninstall Content, reinstall, uninstall scenery, reinstall. There are many files (ie traffic etc) that had to be placed in Scenery/World/ Scenery, there are effects and sound. (Hope i haven't missed any?????)
I have completely made a back up of P3dV4.3, so all my FOLDERS/files are still intact within this copied backup.
Can I simply copy my Scenery/World/Scenery FOLDER, sound FOLDER, effects FOLDER back across to P3DV4.4 and all should be OKAY????????????

Kind Regards
Brian Baxter
BJ from OZ

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
Re: P3Dv4.4 and RTMM
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
Hi ..!
to have as before change remove /install just the client .msi , and all are before, only the Prepar3D setup.exe version change .....

Patrick
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »
Hang on there Brian and be careful!!!!

Yes you could do it that but there is a few things you must be aware before you do anything further: 

If you update the Client to 4.4: no issue. (uninstall 4.3 client, install 4.4 client).

If you update the content to 4.4: Content update: The Beechcraft airplanes from 4.3 are not replaced in 4.4 (but you have a backup copy so you can put them back in after you have done the 4.4 content update. (uninstall 4.3 content, install 4.4 content).

(If not doing a scenery update, at this point run FTXCentral > Force Migration also delete your shader folder in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
and sceneryindex64 folder in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

If you update the scenery to 4.4 or the Full install:
Now you get a bit tricky. For an Orbx/FTX user, there is no advantage doing a scenery update but if you do, you have to set up all your scenery again as to scenery.cfg. (It would appear that don't use the addon.xml method to add scenery/effects/gauges/world scenery etc but have used the sim root folders and the default sim configs and the actual scenery library (which is all contained in the scenery.cfg file) to set up all the addon stuff.

If you do the scenery update: (or full install) do the following:
1) Backup your v4.3 scenery.cfg which is in hidden folder C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.
(Cause you'll need it unless you want to reload the 4.4 scenery.cfg by hand!) because v4.4 install will wipe out all of it including removing all add on scenery entries from your scenery.cfg or sim library. Also backup the rest of the cfg files if you have added/edited. (IE: location of other Simbobjects etc in simobjects.cfg).

2) So if you do the 4.4 scenery install (or full install) be aware that you will have to re-Install Global and FTX HD Trees again files then you should be able to run FTX Central V3 and it should update the rest for you as the rest of Orbx/FTX stuff is contained in the main Orbx Folder and won't be removed.

3) BUT for all other you will have to reload/repopulate the scenery.cfg file for all your other scenery. (Hence the previous scenery.cfg backup or copy from hidden folder: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.)

4) After install of 4.4, re-add the two Tongass and RTMM entries from your saved scenery.cfg to the new 4.4 scenery. (Also for tongass you will have to readd the 40 terrain entries to the terrain.cfg file also found in: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Note: IF you do a full install or a scenery.msi install of 4.4 all addon scenery files that go into scenery-world-scenery or into scenery-global-scenery which includes ORBX, REX, all RTMM ADEX and ai traffic bgl files will be lost. so after your move to 4.4 willl have to be loaded or reinstalled and the addon scenery entries in the scenery.cfg redone (Hence the backup copy before your v4.4 install.).

The other stuff: Sound, Effects, Gauges, World traffic files etc you can copy/paste from your backup copy but when doing it you should keep any newer files that are installed with the default 4.4 install: keep the newer files (so don't use overwrite) .

Just be careful with that scenery.cfg they all have be numbered right or you'll get sim errors.

5) IF you do the scenery part: go into FTXCentral > Force Migration also delete your shader folder in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
and sceneryindex64 folder in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
And after all is done in the adding of the scenery in the sim lib (scenery.cfg), then make sure you go back into FTX Central v3 and re-set the FTX insertion points.

(FTX goes below RTMM Libraries)
OpenLC goes below Tongass Lower)

Also take a read at this forum which might be helpful from others who have done it already and problems experienced and how to avoid the problems.  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545919-first-reactions-to-p3dv44/

and the main read: How to: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522254-ftx-orbx-scenery-prepar3d-updating-reinstalling-troubleshooting/

If you run the Install_Client.msi and the Install_Content.msi only you won't have to re-do any of your scenery at all.

To help in a decision: The New Prepar3d 4.4 Scenery piece adds the following:

Prepar3D Scenery-Fixes and Improvements

Fixed trench running through large areas in Iran.
    Added several representative military jets to AI traffic. These require military cargo/combat parking spaces to appear.
    Fix for specular value of bare desert that caused background globe to be brighter than generated textures.
    Golf courses can be layered on top of airport backgrounds.
    Added several new scenery objects including warehouses, wooden pallets, wooden shipping crates, and military tents.

So up to you but be careful. This is a long post but hope it is helpful for you and others reading. 

Norm
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:51:52 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

baxterbj

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »
Norm,
Thanks so much for the depth you have gone too.
I feel Client at this stage and then possibly Content.

Great support
Kind Regards

Brian
BJ from OZ

baxterbj

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 01:03:17 AM »
NORM,

Updated Client, then Content.
Fantastic!!!!!!

Thankyou so much.
All my RTMM intact, I'm not bothering with Scenery, I've invested to much time and effort into RTMM, too worry about a trench in Iran.
Kindest Regards

Brian J Baxter
BJ from OZ

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 05:59:27 AM »
No problem at all Brian and client & content indeed. T'was my thoughts exactly!  Glad all is working for you.

Norm

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »
I'm going to wait. First for all to let the various third party vendors catch up and let the community know if their products are usable in P3D v4.4. Most have already issued a statement on if their software works or not and some have already issued a patch that will make their software work. (Active Sky).

For me, I'll start with a complete new vanilla installation of the new version 4.4. I don't keep every RTMM scenery installed anymore due to storage constraints and I don't use a lot of add-on aircraft, utilities, etc. I try to keep it pretty low maintenance since I don't have much time right now to devote to the hobby. With my expanded work schedule getting in the way, I have to just keep the installation minimal.

But that's just me. I'm sure everyone else has their own solutions on how they want to proceed. I'm just happy that we all have a great simulator platform that continues to be updated and the future of our hobby looks to be somewhat secure.

Brad

MTN1794

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »
I've spent time reading several posts, but I didn't find the answer to my problem regarding the terrain.cfg file.  I don't have one in P3D v4.4.  It is now a terrain.dll file instead.  Can someone steer me to the answer if there is one?  Otherwise I was thinking of way to decompile and recompile it after adding the 40 new ones.  Thanks. 

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »

I've spent time reading several posts, but I didn't find the answer to my problem regarding the terrain.cfg file.  I don't have one in P3D v4.4.  It is now a terrain.dll file instead.  Can someone steer me to the answer if there is one?  Otherwise I was thinking of way to decompile and recompile it after adding the 40 new ones.  Thanks.

MTN1794:

Did I miss something here or on another post somewhere? What was your problem regarding the terrain.cfg? Just reading this post I suspect it was the Tongass X terrain.cfg entries in P3Dv4.

The folder/file you are looking for is located in hidden folder:  C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4).  (File is terrain.cfg).

The 40 Tongass terrain entries goes in that file and you add +40 to the top DefaultTextureCount. (Do you need the 40 tongass terrain entries? Or help on how to do it?)

Norm
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:03:16 PM by nbrich1 »

poppet

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »
Hello

Regarding Tongass Fjords X and adding the entries to the terrain.cfg file...

The link below is a short video showing you steps to add the 40 entries to the terrain.cfg file.

You will find additional Information, Links and file locations in the comments below the video

https://youtu.be/zU0OKSM3DIM

Elaine Dixon

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »
Thank you Elaine!!! Your videos and tutorials are so helpful!! Much appreciated.

MTN1794

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 04:28:02 PM »
I know where the terrain.cfg file would normally be found, and I've done all this before with P3D v4.3, but this is all I can find in P3D v4.4:
terrain.dll
Since it's a dll, and not a cfg, how do I add the 40 entries?  There is no terrain.cfg that I can see.
Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:29:33 PM by MTN1794 »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
MTN -
The folder/file you are looking for is located in a hidden folder:  C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4).  (File is terrain.cfg).   (So you much un-hide your folders then navigate to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and scroll down in that folder and and you will see the file: terrain.cfg  (there is no file named terrain.dll in that folder).

(To View hidden files and folders in Windows: (windows 10)
    Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
    Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
    Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

And take a look at Poppet's video. (A picture(s) is worth a thousand words).

Norm
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:46:48 PM by nbrich1 »

poppet

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
To locate the terrain.cfg file, Ensure the box is Ticked for  Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer Options

Local Disk (C:) ► ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4 -terrain.cfg

A quick way of locating this file is to Copy the Text below and Paste it into your windows search bar, and click on the result, this will bring you directly to the correct location

Code: [Select]
%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:57:17 PM by poppet »
Elaine Dixon

poppet

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
Edit...

Norm got there before me :)
Elaine Dixon