Author Topic: Missing Friend  (Read 5830 times)

Penzoil3

Missing Friend
« on: November 13, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
Has anyone heard from Spud? Last I heard he was having health issues, and he seems to have disappeared.
 Boss over at Bushpounder's asked me to inquire here. He was last seen at OrbX in May...
 Sue

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Missing Friend
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
Last I heard from him was July 29, 2018. But nothing since. Keep trying but no response.

Norm

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »
This is the latest info I've heard.  Rod said in an email dated 9/29/18, between the RTMM team concerning Spud, and I quote

Rod said ...
I did hear from Spud once around August 8 in reference to TWC-2.  He said he had been experiencing problems and delays but hoped to get back on the desktop soon.

So, that's all we (I) know right now.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Bushpounder

• Bushpounder's Bush Flying
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »
Guys - I just did a search on Spud. Spud died on Sept 30, 2018. He was a great member on my site and I know he was also a great member here. We won't forget him.

Don (Bushpounder)

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:46:53 PM »
Sir Don.

Many of us have also been searching but have not been able to find out any information (and no obit found).  If possible could you please be so kind and post a link here.

Thank-you in advance
Norm

Bushpounder

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
Hi, Norm. I do not have a posting for an obit.

Don

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »
Still searching but nothing found: no posting anywhere that I can find yet.  How did you find out?
Kind of need to know as there is another group of flyers that Spud (and I) flew with and have also been trying to contact Spud, myself included, so will have to advise them asap. (Maybe if you could pop me a quick note  if you wouldn't mind: would be greatly appreciated)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:01:15 AM by nbrich1 »

Bushpounder

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »
I will answer you in a PM.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »
Thank you, Don.  RIP Spud.   :'(  Gonna miss ya.  8)   Fly safe. 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 07:15:05 AM »
Norm,
Please let us know what you find out.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
Perhaps a real name would aid in the search. Doubt we would find an obit for Spud, except maybe for a dog.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
"Spud" was otherwise known as Guy Matthew Maricich - Born Oct 11, 1939 in Idaho and raised there hence over time, the nic name "Spud". (Spud for potato - and Idaho known for its potatoes). After his Navy pilot career he relocated to Pensacola, Florida not too far from the Naval Air Station.

We flew together for a bit with a few other guys. He always had lots of stories and experiences that he shared. One of the neatest facts as it would relate to his hobby of simming, is that he was a pilot in the US Navy, flew Douglas A-1 Skyraiders from carriers early on the Vietnam war then later Navy Helicopters. He sure could tell some war stories. He could also convey the aircraft specs from memory as he told us about some of his real piloting experiences. 

RIP my Friend.

=============================================================
Will share a pic and info that he posted/shared with us one day from his time in the Navy: All aviators and simmers will hopefully find this very interesting. For me, actually amazing being a pilot and war-bird/ WWII+post fan (pre jets).

The post "Spud" and we discussed later when flying together was the following post: "quote"

"Memories!"

Just ran across a photo of one of my old ships. U.S.S. Intrepid CV11.  Intrepid is now a floating museum in the city.
This photo was taken as we pulled into NYC with the crew AND news reporters that had come aboard to record the visit. They are spelling out "HI NYC" on the flight deck for the aerial photo. I'm sort of fond of this shot as I was flying the photo plane that took it.

Post by Spud » 24 Nov 2017, 10:52

=============================================================
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:27:43 PM by nbrich1 »

simurq

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 02:10:44 PM »
I've never thought that I'd ever pop in here to say goodbye... I'm so sorry to hear this... :(
We didn't exchange posts often but I'll always remember Spud as the one who'd always tried to reach his hand to those in need, like me when I was just wandering around here...
Rest in peace, Guy (Spud as we knew you)!!!
Vüqar "Rustam" Quliyev

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
Thanks Norm so much for getting the official confirmation of Spud's  passing.  I will definitely miss Spud a lot.  Hi QC skills were awesome and he never pulled any punches when he was doing a QC check on any scenery I developed.  If you missed something, he would let you know.

Keep flying high, Spud!

Rod

Dieter

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 03:27:56 AM »
RTMM and the entire flightsimmer community lost a dedicated and experienced team member, a highly motivated QC manager and a helpful supporter for everyone who didn't get along in the complex world of flight simulation. Thanks for everything, Spud.
You will always have a place of honour at "Return to Misty Moorings".

RIP Spud
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals