Author Topic: Do tours have to be flown in order?  (Read 2055 times)

robw

Do tours have to be flown in order?
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:47:27 AM »
Apologies if this has been documented or answered already, I did look but was unable to find anything.

I've been flying the tours somewhat out of order, partly because I've been flying in the RTMM area for many years and have become very familiar with a lot of the locations. Although I will get round to all the tours at some point I'm keen to fly some of the newer ones sooner (like the most recent Alaska and Yukon tours).

It seems though that when I try to sign-up I'm told I haven't completed all the required tours? This suggests that the tours have to be flown in order in at least some cases? If so is there any documentation that lists the dependencies? With that I could plan how to get to a particular tour quicker perhaps.

Anyway, I'm greatly enjoying the tours. I find I do detour quite a bit to places of interest along the way, quite a few of which I haven't seen before so even in places I think I know there are new things to find. Just shows how much work has gone in to enhancing this area over the years!

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Do tours have to be flown in order?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
The first 10 tours are not in a restricted in order so fly them in any order you want. (I just refreshed those first 10 tours to make sure that there is no prerequisites). However, these tours are getting more complex and more challenging as we go thought it best after tour 10 and following that they should be flown in order which give pilots not only a good route but hopefully increasing skills to to able to fly the legs.

So following tour 10 the tours are set up to be flown in order and the route is continuous not broken. So to fly tour 11, you need to have flown tour 10 because 10 directly leads right into tour 11. To fly tour 12, you need to have flown tour 11, to fly tour 13 you need to have flown tour 12 and so forth as it only makes sense to fly them in order. Over time am trying to fly a specific routing to be able to comprehensively cover all of the areas and each location in a workable sequence as a pilot would continuously fly an detailed exploration in order and not in a fragmented method. 

I wasn't going to bother doing this at the onset but as I have designed trips/routes, it is clear that the tours should be flown in order or succession as each leads into the next and am trying to create a continuous  route. So far, you can start on tour 1 leg 1 and keep flying in pattern through every tour leg thereafter and fly in a continuous route like you were on a world tour.

This allows all RTMM pilots (old and new) for these areas to be able see all of the coverage areas and all the scenery pieces in an continuous and organized method and not having to jump all over the place in a haphazard hit and miss.

I'll bet that even though many have been flying RTMM scenery for a long long time, myself included, we have been missing a great number of scenery locations that have been created in this scenery. As I build and fly a tour am blown away how much I have missed in this scenery and the only way to showcase all of the scenery pieces is to cover each location within a specific area in workable/interesting flight legs in detail.

And there are many many locations to cover and many types of interesting landscapes that we are trying to cover here: definitely not as easy as one would think to design the trips and maintain a methodical order of routes but, for sure, it does make sense to do it this way since it's not just random flying it's in depth scenery exploration. 

Norm

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:40:47 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

robw

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »
Ok, that makes sense. I did read you say recently that the routes have become one great big tour taken end to end. The themes described in the doc for each trip gave me the sense they were independent but I can see how the later ones link together.

I've followed the same rule myself on many occasions when exploring particular parts of the world, for example I've flown the NA pacific coast more than once as a continous trip, landing wherever I felt like and conditions allowed in a tundra equipped Supercub.

I even have a problem switching aircraft on tours like these as that wouldn't be possible (or at least unlikely) in the real world! At least with the MFC routes I can do that and the tour recommendations have got me piloting some of my lesser used aircraft which deserve an outing.

In fact this summer I created a tour based on George Erickson's True North and Back to the Barrens books, flying all over the Canadian North and Arctic in a float equipped Cub. I've flown about 20% of it so far but there's a great deal of similar terrain to cover which although done well with Orbx vector and landclass scenery doesn't have the location detail which is what makes RTMM so special. The tour took me a while to put together and if anyone is interested I'd be happy to share. It's about 6000 miles long all told.  ;D

Of course there's nothing to stop me from flying a route outside of MFC and then coming back later to repeat while being logged but that's a lot of extra miles to cover.

Rob

AIce

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »
Ok, that makes sense. I did read you say recently that the routes have become one great big tour taken end to end. The themes described in the doc for each trip gave me the sense they were independent but I can see how the later ones link together.

I've followed the same rule myself on many occasions when exploring particular parts of the world, for example I've flown the NA pacific coast more than once as a continous trip, landing wherever I felt like and conditions allowed in a tundra equipped Supercub.

I even have a problem switching aircraft on tours like these as that wouldn't be possible (or at least unlikely) in the real world! At least with the MFC routes I can do that and the tour recommendations have got me piloting some of my lesser used aircraft which deserve an outing.

In fact this summer I created a tour based on George Erickson's True North and Back to the Barrens books, flying all over the Canadian North and Arctic in a float equipped Cub. I've flown about 20% of it so far but there's a great deal of similar terrain to cover which although done well with Orbx vector and landclass scenery doesn't have the location detail which is what makes RTMM so special. The tour took me a while to put together and if anyone is interested I'd be happy to share. It's about 6000 miles long all told.  ;D

Of course there's nothing to stop me from flying a route outside of MFC and then coming back later to repeat while being logged but that's a lot of extra miles to cover.

Rob

Never knew about it. This forum is really helping me.  :)