Author Topic: CTD loading Flights around Ketchikan area.  (Read 4595 times)

Jezz006

CTD loading Flights around Ketchikan area.
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
Greetings Fellow-Simmers,

I've followed and installed the "Special Installations for Prepar3d V4+" along with the "New (Site-Wide) Generic Updated Files."
Now when I try to load a flight [tried Ketchikan, Annette Island, Juneau and Sitka] P3D4 goes through the loading process and crashes at "Loading Terrain Data" at 16%.

Tried Valdez and Anchorage and they were OK.

When I used the Map to relocate the aircraft from "Hang em High" [Loaded from the Flight Planner files] to over Ketchikan Airport I manged to fly to Misty's, Annette Island and back to Ketchikan where I did a full 360 degree flight around the airport with no crashes.

Not sure how to go about tracking down the source of this problem, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jezz006
Jezz006
P3D4 on Windows 10 Home 64Bit
Intel Core i7 8700K
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP! Edition, 11GB Graphics
16 GB of Ram on Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G
1TB SSD Drive

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: CTD loading Flights around Ketchikan area.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »
16% Freeze and crash.. Hmmm appears you have a scenery entry that it pointing to an incorrect folder - either by a xml reference if you use that method Or a bad folder reference in your scenery.cfg - hence P3Dv4x can't find the scenery reference it so it hangs looking for it then crashes or is trying to load a bad or  incompatible file. Recheck each scenery reference or xml file to determine which reference(s) might be incorrect.

So. firstly to test that it is your scenery references:

1) go to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 >> cut/past scenery.cfg out of that folder to your desktop.  Then start P3d to see if it starts (It will load default scenery only). If it starts up ok, you know that one of your scenery references in the scenery.cfg file was incorrect.

(Then you'll have to search the scenery.cfg file on your desktop to establish which scenery reference path is incorrect by going through your scenery.cfg (notepad) and comparing your folder paths to your HDD scenery paths/names. (You should be able to spot the error).  Once corrected put the scenery.cfg back into folder: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  and try to start the sim again.

2) Go to  C:\Users\Norm\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
and delete file Prepar3D.cfg. (P3D will rebuild the Prepar3D.cfg file up later when you restart)

3) Delete the shader cache folder > C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders  (Delete the entire Shaders folder.). (P3D will build a new shaders folder later when you restart)

4) Delete the SceneryIndexes_x64 folder > C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SceneryIndexes_x64  (Delete the entire SceneryIndexes_x64 folder.). (P3D will build a new SceneryIndexes_x64 folder when you restart)

Ok Restart the sim - Hopefully your sim will be able to restart.

Report and we can continue to troubleshoot.

Norm
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:59:49 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Jezz006

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »
Hi Norm and thanks for the detailed reply.

Unfortunately my C/Program Files/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3Dv4 folder does not have a scenery.cfg file
or a SceneryIndexes_x64 folder in it ?
I did a search of my PC for both objects but nothing was found.

The Prepar 3D.cfg and the Shaders folder are in the correct places.

I tried modifying/repairing the Prepr3D v4 Scenery entry in the Windows 10 Apps and features list, as well as the Content and Professional Installations and the Ketchikan flight load got to 16% again before crashing to the desktop, whilst a flight around San Francisco loaded and flew without any problems.

Jezz006

Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

Dieter

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 04:25:00 AM »
"""Unfortunately my C/Program Files/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3Dv4 folder does not have a scenery.cfg file
or a SceneryIndexes_x64 folder in it ?"""

The active scenery.cfg and the folder \SceneryIndexes_x64 are in
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\

This is a "hidden" folder"!

Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 08:29:59 AM »
Should have said that these folders were hidden. (Sorry about that!).

(To View hidden files and folders in Windows 10:

Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
    Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
    Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.)

(SIM OFF)

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 >> scenery.cfg (File)    move this file to desktop (or rename  the scenery.cfg file to scenery.cfg.TEST (or to something other than scenery.cfg)

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 >> (SceneryIndexes_x64 (Folder)   Delete

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  >> Shaders (Folder) Delete

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  >> Prepar3d.cfg (File) Delete*
(**You'll have to set up your graphics/options the way you want them again) but any errors that may have existed in the Prepar3d.cfg will be removed during the SIM start up and rebuild of a new Prepar3d.cfg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So do the above first. And after done Start up the sim. (It will take longer to startup this time as it rebuilds some files/folders).

(At this point Sim running on default scenery entries, rebuilt prepar3d.cfg, rebuilt 64b indexes and rebuilt shaders).

Ok, after your started up - adjust your graphics/options again as you want > then try to load a flight starting at PAKT to PANT. Then a flight starting at PANT, one at Juneau then one at Sitka and see if it loads at each and runs ok at those locations now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:22:48 AM by nbrich1 »

Jezz006

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 10:25:46 PM »
Thanks for the correct folder directions. My fault for not seeing it was ProgramData not Program Files!

After following your instructions, the Sim started like a dream
 [ I've obviously got way to many ORBX sceneries! ]
but the Vector Scenery didn't look good at PAKT,PANT,Juneau and Sitka,

So I ran FTX Central 3 for P3D4 to load the scenery and then the ftx Global Vector Configurator for Airport Elevation Corrections [AEC]  and the scenery looked great at PAKT and PANT, but at Juneau it started the Plane 50feet above the runway whilst at Sitka something obviously wasn't right with sunken runways [ perhaps due to Tongass Fjords Upper and Lower yet to be added to the scenery tree in P3D after the clean install? ].
Verified the files for Juneau in FTX Central and Ran the AEC Configurator again and the plane was positioned nicely on the runway.

Saved the scenery.cfg at this point and added Tongass Fjords Higher and Lower to the scenery files in P3D4.After placing them in relation to the ORBX insertion points as directed the same initial problem arose with CTD's during loading terrain data at around 24% with flights at Sitka and Ketchikan, whilst a flight at Valdez loaded fine.
Tried Sitka again with the two scenery folders disabled and it loaded OK but still with the sunken runway.

In the scenery.cfg file the Tongass Entries were

[Area.151]
Title=Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority
Local=C:\Flight Sim\Tongass Fjords\FSAddon\Tongass_Fjords\Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority
Layer=151
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.152]
Title=Tongass_Fjords_Higher_Priority
Local=C:\Flight Sim\Tongass Fjords\FSAddon\Tongass_Fjords\Tongass_Fjords_Higher_Priority
Layer=152
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Not really sure what that means but on rereading the installation guide by Poppet for Tongass Fjords I can see that there aren't the 40 entries for Tongass Fjord's at the end of my terrain.cfg file in (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D.

Perhaps I need to do the whole process again as this scenery seems to be where the problem lies.
Will let you know if solves the problem.

Thanks again for your detailed list on how to troubleshoot these sort of problems.
Much appreciated.

Jezz006
Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 11:35:05 PM »
No problem at all Jezz. Sure appears like something is incorrect with the Tongass scenery pieces but still not 100% sure it's Tongass so have to isolate the scenery for this area to make sure nothing else may be causing the CTD while trying to load at flight here.  (Like the Tongass terrain entries still have to go in but shouldn't cause CTD. (Appended to the Tongass terrain stuff to this post if you need it).

Turn all scenery off for this area and try to isolate which is causing the failure to load a flight at this location or CTD and test again.  IE: Tongass, RTMM, FTX PAKT or other?

-Check that the RTMM and Tongass AI Models are up to date for P3Dv4x.
-What aircraft were you trying to use? (Is this airplane ok in other areas?)

Poppet has prepared some great you-tube videos. Here is a link to the one for Tongass (and lots of other helpful P3Dv4x assist/help videos on that channel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGXvOPhcmM

Hope this info helps. 

Norm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:37:59 PM by nbrich1 »

Jezz006

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
Thanks for the detailed feedback and the headsup on Poppet's video on YouTube, Norm.

I have disabled Tongass Fjords in P3D4 and then deleted it from my computer but am still getting scenery problems at Sitka and surrounding areas like Kake. [See attatched Picture]

Tried Moscow as somewhere out of my ORBX region installations and everything looked fine.

There are no CTD's when I fly in various aircraft now in the Sitka area but am not sure if there is some other problem with the scenery that needs to be fixed before I try to reinstall Tongass Fjords?

If anyone else is following this thread, I have added back my Misty Moorings Library entries and scenery entries around Ketchikan into P3D4, and everything is working well, so it wasn't these entries that were causing the issue.

Jezz006

Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

Dieter

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 04:07:43 AM »
Do you have coincidentally installed an additional higher mesh like FS Global 2018 FTX or FS Global Ultimate?
I experienced problems when doing so. I went back to FS Global 2010 without any problems.
(Btw, Orbx and RTMM sceneries are still refering to this mesh. Also FreeMeshX might work)
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Jezz006

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 12:50:46 AM »
Thanks Dieter,

I don't have any other Mesh apart from the ORBX ones.
It seems strange that it is only in the Tongass Fjords area that it seems to be an issue.
I wonder if it has something to do with my initial attempt to install it.

Where would FreeMeshX be inserted in relation to ORBX in the Scenery Library if I were to try it out?

Yours in Appreciation,

Jezz006
Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

Dieter

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 03:00:00 AM »
When you had Tongass X installed, did you have those necessary 8 elevation adjustment files installed in \scenery\world\scenery?

Now after you uninstalled Tongass X, did you also delete these elevation adjustment files?

Installing an additional mesh:
- This will not solve you basic problem.
But if you want to install an additional mesh any position in the scenery.cfg between Orbx Vector and Orbx openLC is ok.
Many greetings
Dieter

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »
Could this be because of some AI Ships that aren't converted to work with P3D v4?

Jezz006

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 01:36:40 AM »
Thanks Dieter,

Those 8 elevation Adjustment files were the problem, and after running the ftx Global Vector Configurator KAKE looked good again as well.
Might put off reinstalling Tongass Fjords and just do a bit of flying for a change, until I feel up to the challenge of going through the install process.
BTW I just bought 29Palms for Southern California and Lars the Developer included  troubleshooting software to identify all the elevation files that caused problems with the airport which was fantastic for us older guys who sometimes struggle with these conflicts.

Thanks again,

Jezz006
Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive