Author Topic: FSDiscover  (Read 5569 times)

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
FSDiscover
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »
Hi all,
 I've been pondering getting the Flight One FSDiscover.  It only mentions 32 bit systems on the site.  Does anyone have it running on Win 7 X64 bit system? 

Thanks
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: FSDiscover
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:55:33 AM »
Hi Dragnhorn, yes I am running it on Win7 64 bit, I don't remember having to do anything special, just installed it, it works fine.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »
Yep, I'm ok with 64 here too.

Kim are you using the new rttm.dat and mistycabins.dat files?  I have over 550 features, locations and names in it now.

Doug

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »
Yeah I updated them a day or so back when I was testing the PlanG files.

Dragnhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:35:47 AM »
Thanks guys.  Will pick it up tomorrow.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:01:46 AM »
On FSDiscover! ... I put the POI in yellow and the FSX datapoints in green.  As I make the cruises, I first grab My Topo and run the course looking for features. I slew in top down, add the features along the route, then start the Plan-G magic and make the course. This way the way points have "real" names of features along the way. For the boats I set it all at 5 miles and "auto" for the top setting.  The "auto" makes the names of things farther away smaller.  Anyway, each time I post a cruise, you can bet there's a new rttm.dat file up there ... I update it almost daily.

D

Dragnhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »
Sounds great.  I'll pick up FSDiscover and the Malibu today.  Maybe I can help out a bit testing some routes.

Cheers
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 

Doug

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »
Rob, would be great to have you looking over our shoulder.  You are WELCOME to help.  On FSDiscover!  When the program "sets up" it will create a folder in your Documents area. If you look you'll have your Flight Simulator X folder, and this one will usually be right under it called FS Discover.  In that will be the dat files that come with the program.  These are USGS data programs that have hundreds of thousands of waypoints in them.  And many of them are ok for our area.  But there are SO many that are not there. Example, Walden Rocks ... so what if you are flying ... but a BIG DEAL coming out of Misty's Place heading for the Narrows.  Hence the rttm.dat file (just updated this morning again).  you put that file into the FS Discover Folder I mentioned above.  When you go to FSDiscover! when you go to "options" you'll now see "Return to Misty Moorings" with an unchecked box beside it.  Check the box, then the rtmm data points will show up.  There's also a dat file for the cabins ... same with that, put it into the FSDiscover! Folder and now "Misty Cabins" will show up ... check that box, and now you have them too.

Anybody can send me a dat point ... all I need is the name, the Latitude/Longitude and Altitude. I just add it to the alphabetical database and put an (MM) after it.  When you see a datapoint that has (MM) you'll know its from us, an (MC) is also from us, but one of the USFS cabins.

You can color the entries. I make the airports Orange, the FSX datapoints green and our stuff shows up as POI (Points of Interest) ... I make that yellow.

In the options, if you are "boating" set your distance on about 3-5 miles and set them on "auto". On the water, everything is almost on the same "level" line. So a lot of datapoints is just interference to seeing.

You'll find I have most of them in there, but I'm sure I'm missing a lot from the newer areas down around Bella Bella, Bella Coola, etc.  That's the area I'm focusing on right now.  You can use the My Topo to dial in on an area, and if "it" has a name ... the name will be there!  That's a great online mapping program.

If you get it, let me know and I can help you set it up.

D

Dragnhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »
Will do.  Just bookmarked the My Topo site......very nice!  I do a lot of backpacking, hunting/fishing, exploring, so I have lots of maps.   I just looked around near PAKT and found Traitor's Cove with a seaplane base!  Don't know if there is a scenery for that but I'm off to go see.  :-)
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: