Author Topic: I'm confused  (Read 3449 times)

av8erjm

I'm confused
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
OK maybe I'm over thinking this, but I noticed when I did the first couple of legs on MFC0004 I was using the cigar box and well as logging on thru the tour process and was showing up as two flights and thought I was being given credit for two flights when it but one in the same.  Back when I started flying this I was just using the cigar box n' Norm tried to explain that I should be  logging onto the tour page and do it that way. Then Henry sent me a message asking why I didn't use the cigar box on one leg. I want to do this right, but I'm just finding the explanation on the Misty Flying Club page  part 1 installation and usage confusing. Vectors would be appreciated 

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
Well a rule of thumb is... If you are flying the tour just follow the tour page using the bid.. and cigar box use the get flight data only to draw the bid. (You don't need to enter the flight number or any of the pararmeters as all the data is contained in the tour bid).

I am away for a few days but when home will send you a help file. (Or just refer to the note on the MFC home page concerning flying the tour legs.. just follow the numbered procedures and you won't have any problem flying the tour legs.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

av8erjm

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »
OK I'll try it again, I'm home for the labor day weekend, but have plans to fly in the Sawtooth later in the week

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
Maybe this will help.  First of all take a look at your cigar box settings....you have a check box to fly by flight numbers.  If you are flying tours, the box is unchecked.  If you are flying by flight numbers then you check the box;  It's either or.  Flying a tour, go to the tour center and sign up for the tour, and then go to the details. There you will find the option to fly the leg.  click.  Once the big check mark appears the flight is ready to be imported into cigar box.  In cigar box you will use the button to get the flight data and once clicked, the entire form should populate.  If you are flying by the flight # and followed the change in settings, you then enter the flight number and the form will populate.

The only time that duplicates usually appear is when you file the pirep (by clicking) more than once.  So give it a try.  I will around on Monday.

Henry
Misty Moorings Team

av8erjm

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 06:30:05 AM »
Kirk I sent you an email about this and the rejecting of the last legs I did,

nbrich1

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
Note on the MFC Home Page concerning tour flights:

NOTAM-Tour Leg Bids - 2018/03/19

Pilots are reminded of the proper prodedure for loading a Tour Flight.

1. Sign up on the tour - via Tour Center

2. On that tour, Select your next flight - The 1st leg will open for you.

3  Press "fly leg"

4. Log into Cigar Box and go to Main > settings then remove the check mark on Search by flight number. (This enables direct bid loading).

5. In Cigar Box - Press the "Get Flight Data" button and the correct flight as per your bid should directly load and populate all the fields for the flight leg details in Cigar Box.

When your sim is ready start flight in Cigar Box. When done, file the pirep.

When you are ready to fly the next leg, go to the tour you are flying and the next leg will be open for you to fly (bid). (And so forth)

av8erjm

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
OK now I have another alligator  to slay, in my tour center page under tour legs it says I've completed leg 5 n' 6 for MFC0004, but on my pirep page it says those two legs have been rejected.  So when I file the pirep in the cigar box  or on the tour center page. One other thing  I just saw on my tour center page down at the bottom where it shows all the pilots and it shows a green sq and says landed, I'm showing landed all the way up to leg  7 on MFC0004. Or does any of this really matter that when I finish the last leg will I get the badge.

nbrich1

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
Not really an slay thing just some understanding

Well filing a manual pirep is only for extreme circumstances whereas your sim has crashed or cigar box crashed or the save flight feature of Cigar Box doesn't save or is unable to be loaded for some reason so to file a manual pirep-there should be some type of comment to explain why the need to file a manual pirep. A manual pirep has no log at all.

We spend much effort and time designing the Cigar Box to have full and detailed flight log where as we can adjust the log features to really be a tool for a pilot IE: Recording Flap use, gear, lights, Nav/GPS use, Autopilot use, of course the landing rates etc.  But or those who might want to view their log it can also be a learning tool to fine tune the aircraft numbers and actually become a better pilot even in the sim.

We can see lots from a pilot's pirep as to aircraft handling: weather, stalls, overspeeds etc. which just kick on autopilot and watch the scenery go by (handsfree) or other that never use GPS or Autopilot and fly hands on for all of the flight from a gate or parking spot to the destination gate or parking and shutdown.

Bush flying at it's best is navigating through the scenery and handling the aircraft in the bush. A bit different than flying a jet from A-Z at 30,000 ft. on autopilot.

Anyways we review every the pilots log received from Cigar Box and really we will only reject for two items whereas there are many operational items that we could consider in the sim but we are a much less restrictive VA at MFC/RTMM. 

The two items are:

1). Landing rate: A landing rate over -600fpm is a no go. If over -600fpm, you would have almost had a fatal or caused injury to yourself, crew or passengers and caused aircraft damage.

The landing goal or target of -600fpm or under applies to any intermediate or mid-stop landings as well as the final landing.

2) Manual pireps. We do require cigar box pireps/logs. If your stuck with a sim or cigar box crash and unable to use save/load for some reason please file a manual but add an explanation or comment as to why a manual pirep had to be used. In all normal cases cigar box works perfect as the acars and usually there is no issue loading a flight (from either Flight Number or by bids) and usually no issues in filing the flight pirep but for a variety of reasons to create/maintain proper aircraft stats/tour records/pilot stats etc in the database it is necessary to have logged pilot pireps. 

Now even if your pirep is rejected for either of these two reasons, currently there is no great penalty other than the loss of the time incurred during that flight leg.

You can still continue and progress in a tour without re-flying rejected legs. Carry on as usual. There is no stoppage and won't hold you back from the progression of the tour flights through to completion and upon completion you will be granted the tour award for the effort and along the way hopefully we learn more as we go and get better in this Bush simming adventure.

Norm

av8erjm

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »
OK  thanks Norm, so if I am understanding and I want the hours I just fly those two legs using the cigar box only and then proceed as you have explained using the tour center in conjunction with the cigar box for the rest of the tour

nbrich1

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »
Just keep flying and you'll easy make up the hours and add flights to your record.  There are also awards for number of flights as well as (and more importantly) Flight Hours.  After you do this for a bit, it gets easier and easier. Here is a summary of the flights:

TOURS
Just know that tours must be generated from the tour pages by bid only. (And Cigar box picks them up). (Cigar Box Settings - > Main > Settings > Search By Flight Number must be unchecked

SINGLE FLIGHTS
Single scheduled flights in the system can be either selected by Bid or by direct flight number entry in Cigar Box. (Cigar Box Settings - > Main > Settings > Search By Flight Number must be unchecked for using Bid or checked if using direct flight number entry)
(To see all the single schedule flights just go to Pilot center and click on View Flight Schedules)

CHARTER FLIGHTS
You can also create your own custom Charter flights (Within RTMM land) by using the Charter box checked in Cigar Box and creating your own custom flight number and ICAO parameters and basic route(in cigar box) and away you go.  (Cigar Box Settings - > Main > Settings > Search By Flight Number must be checked for direct flight number entry)

And that in a nutshell is the three types of flights.

Hope this helps.
Norm

av8erjm

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »
Thanks to Norm  and Henry for stickin' with it and not giving up on me. That's what I love about this site. Everyone here is willing to go the extra bit and not give up on someone in dire straits

av8erjm

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
As I email Henry, I'm tendering my resignation, no blood no foul I'm sure you two have better things to do so best of luck to your endeavor

nbrich1

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »
 I sure would rather assist or whatever is needed to get all up and running for you. And no problem. It is a fun and scenic ride once get on to the scenery and get the use of the cigar box stuff for this type of environment. It's not hard but its not for everyone I guess. In any event here are here to assist wherever possible.

Norm
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:00:17 PM by nbrich1 »

av8erjm

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
My only problem has been in the filing of the PIREP's no matter how I tried to do it, it seemed like it was wrong. Think it's best if I just step away for a bit and clear my head

nbrich1

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:08:58 PM »
Hmmm Ok Jim-just take your time. If you follow the step by step will work just fine.

You can refer to this forum: http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3981.0;topicseen
(It also has Cigar Box pics too). I see you are on Discord so we can try to hook up and I'll give you a hand. Once you have got it is very easy.

Norm
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:12:23 PM by nbrich1 »