Author Topic: About landing  (Read 5370 times)

doksas

About landing
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »
One question please,
Tour mfc0011 required 2 or 3 landings, in my Pirep MFC20591  i make first landing rate -0.77 fpm but this not registered on TopPilot score. Only second landing is valid or? Kind regards.

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: About landing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
The pirep log records all landings within the single flight (So each stop-over or mid-landing and it's landing rate and location are recorded). The logbook chart or table in MFC Cigar Box contains all the landing in a flight BUT only the last landing and it's landing rate is used for the TOP Pilot Calculation.

Why?   Well in the past most flights have been from A to Z. From Departure location to Destination location.. BUT now we have the ACARS development to include many stop-overs within a single flight leg. (This has only been a year or so where we can capture ALL of the landings and continue flying in a single flight leg and log all of it - then at destination then the stop Flight - with the final landing is the trigger to close off the flight).

That is a great feature because it allows the creation of more complex flights with stop-overs etc..  but the Top Pilot module is not developed to that point yet where it can see all of the landings within a single flight leg to determine best landing rate so for now the last landing rate within a flight leg is used.
So make your last landing in a flight leg your best landing cause your that landing is the one that is used in the Top Pilot calculation.
======================================================

Now the your log/pirep is in tact so we and yourself can go through the log and see every action and landing rates that took place in your flight.

Going a bit farther on the pireps itself: you can look at your own log/pirep as we do.

In Cigar Box Logbook or on the MFC Site Under Pilot Center Tab = View my Pireps: One can see all the operations of the airplane: GPS Use/Autopilot engaged/Disengaged - flap use, landing rate/pitch, flap use etc etc even see Cigar Box Recovery use: the in-flight saves as well as the in-flight loads of the flight pirep).

Now at MFC when we are approving the only real restriction we are using is that ALL landings in a pirep must be -600fpm or under -(or comment to help a pilot fly/land better) but again as far as landings- it is only the last landing rate in a flight leg is used in the Top Pilot Calculation for best landing rate.

Hope this helps.

Norm
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:29:27 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

doksas

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
So only last landing in flight is recorded for TopPilot score.
Ok Norm thanks for answer. 🍻

nbrich1

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »
So only last landing in flight is recorded for TopPilot score.
Ok Norm thanks for answer. 🍻

(PS: Yesterday you got a -7fpm landing rate - Congratulations.)

So far this month:

Top Pilot for August 2018 (Landing Rates)

Jeff Greene - MFC0017    -2 ft/min
Igor Doksas - MFC0059    -7 ft/min
Darb Nella - MFC0043    -9 ft/min
Jim Magin - MFC0054           -18 ft/min
Steve Stevens - MFC0020    -21 ft/min

Great job on those landings guys.

Norm
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:26:04 PM by nbrich1 »

doksas

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
Huh, problem is my bad english and sorry for this Norm.
I know for this landing -7 ft/min but i have better lading with -0.77 ft/min in
 my Pirep MFC20591   PAWG   63A   DHC2 BEAVERA (N001MM-AM)   00.32.25   2018/08/21 and i ask for this :)

nbrich1

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
Bad english no problem Igor.  Yes -0.77fpm shows on your pirep- which is just under -1.0 lol. Slightly lower That landing was the stop-over landing and not the final destination landing which Top Pilot uses as previously explained.  A barely touch landing.

Now landing rates are a funny thing, in SIMMING we have Top Pilot charts which record the 5 lightest landing in the flight legs for each month but in reality those landing rates are way too soft for landing an aircraft - they are ok for a landing hover helicopter in the real world but not for a fixed wind airplane that is trying to land at it's ideal landing speed.

A fixed wing requires some -300fpm or under down force to stick the ground - depending on weather and wind velocity and type of runway surface: in reality a landing rate between -75fpm to  -250fpm. That is the ideal range for tolerable landing rate forces which hold an airplane down on the runway surface. Above -600fpm forces can be increasingly damaging forces the higher the landing fpm but conversely any lighter than -75 and lower fpm landings allows the plane to softly touchdown but may not have sufficient downward forces hold the aircraft down on the runway surface (Again this woud be dependent on weather conditions and runway surface texture). All to say that a great landing rate next to 0 in simming is not ideal or practicable in real life flying or in this case landing..lol.). Trivia for the day.

doksas

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 08:08:42 PM »
Yes Norm, i know, commercial pilot make ideal landing about 150-250 fpm, and everything is clear about landing rate of course,
 but i see in top pilot charts -2 fpm etc and not see my landing -0.77 fpm.
Now, this your words explains everything I wanted to ask from the beginning:
"That landing was the stop-over landing and not the final destination landing which Top Pilot uses"

So, only final destination landing use in Top Pilot charts, now is everything perfect clear :)

Thanks Norm!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 08:20:24 AM »
My -2 landing was a final destination landing.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 06:03:30 PM »
I think that the landing rates are grossly out of touch if you are trying to relate to the real world.  We were taught in flight training that you had to have positive contact with the ground.....landing of less than -50 isn't in that category......and if it is windy, some more like -100 is better.  A little gust will likely blow you to the side if not off the runway if you are trying to land at -5.  At the other end, general aviation landing gears are sturdy....up to a point, and most would agree that -400 is about the limit for landings without shortening the life of the undercarriage.  Unfortunately for most folks, flight simulation is a game...something to be enjoyed and very little emphasis on actually operating an airplane.  For those into simulation, they will fly as you would in real life....For me, a Simulation of Bush Flying means no autopilot and no gps.....I navigate by VOR and NDB when available, otherwise it is time, speed and distance....just as I learned in flight school.  But the good news is that we are a low key flying club....so you do what you want to..... and you should have fun doing it.  Just please don't think that a -1 landing is good......

Henry
Misty Moorings Team

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 08:25:39 PM »
It's just a kacars game for me.  I am not a real pilot, and I don't try to be one.  It's fun to see how low I can get it, like the uphill landings in the positive numbers.  But it is just a "game" for me.  I could turn out -100's if that was my aim.  No top pilot list for getting -100 though.   :P

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

doksas

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »
Thanks Henry for flight lesson, I am not a real pilot but now i go for landing rate cca 100fpm.
This -2 etc landing is just for fun :)
 PS. Jeff i am moral winner with my -0.77 fpm :P 
I wish you smooth flight, Cheers :)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
Thanks Henry for flight lesson, I am not a real pilot but now i go for landing rate cca 100fpm.
This -2 etc landing is just for fun :)
 PS. Jeff i am moral winner with my -0.77 fpm :P 
I wish you smooth flight, Cheers :)

8)  Yes, that was a very light touch indeed.  You win.   8)

doksas

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
:) But you are the official winner, congrats :)

doksas

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »
Can not be better ( for top scores off corse ), but again not destination landing :)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »
... unless your in the positive numbers.  ;)

These ARE destination landings.   :D