Author Topic: About landing  (Read 5485 times)

doksas

Re: About landing
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
lol  :)))
Yeah, i often fly in Lukla or Courchevel with DHC6 where landing must be with positive numbers :)

What is better, less or more positive ?

destination landing
stop landing
destination landing

I'm going to bed good night ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:41:23 PM by doksas »

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
Less is more.. er' I mean Less is better. Since most landings are performed with a downward force the landing rate should have a negative value.

If your landing on an uphill slope and get a positive landing rate (+).. less is still best!. You have a slight upward landing force.   (With Zero (0) being the median between the negative and the positive.) 
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

BBQSteve

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
Oh cont-rare. on the positive side more is better.

-300        -200        -100        0         100       200       300

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
lol Steve.. Indeed at times it is better to have more than less: so in that regard positive might be much better than negative. lol.. Now unless you go to the Dr. and you're found positive for something bad rather than being confirmed negative for that something that you didn't want. But then Dr. Phil says it is better to be positive than to be negative. All of this is totally confusing. Signed: Being Silly and Totally Confusing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:14:22 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

doksas

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »
Boys, i just kidding with Jeff, relax :)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 12:29:58 AM »
Boys, i just kidding with Jeff, relax :)

8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »
With all this discussion about landings, the thought came to me that landing is the only thing that most pilots do that is not automated.  Now I know that technology marches forward, and one of the problems in the flying business is that there are two few pilots....why, it's boring, and with less to do in the cockpit, the pilots aren't paid very much, endure physical requirements and a mandatory retirement. 

Some airlines now require pilots to let the airplane auto land. 

Now I learned to fly in the mid 70's and to this day fly the same way.  In my view, flight planning, hand flying, and landing is the lure of flight.  My most enjoyable time in the cockpit was flying a sailplane.  This requires pilot skills, skills that are getting rusty for all pilots who fly for a living.  In a simulator, I can't imagine using GPS or Autopilot....if the simulator could auto land, you could set up a flight, push the start button and go out and mow the lawn and come back just in time to taxi to the gate.

Enjoy your next flight.

Henry
Misty Moorings Team

doksas

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »
I try few time auto land ( just to see how this work ) with PMDG triple 7 and 747, but in 99,9% flights i disconnect autopilot and land with hand.
But, yes i like to use autopilot especially on long flight. Henry, with respect to your long-standing path as real pilot, today is modern era and gps you find from 50 bucks.
IE When driving car in big unknown city how to navigate without gps? Stop every 2 minutes and ask people? Look on map and crash? Realistically, this is losing the time,
 and time is money.
BUT, I still want to learn flying through old school :) and thanks for every tips.