Author Topic: What the @#$^&*$$%$ !!!  (Read 6132 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
What the @#$^&*$$%$ !!!
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
It has happened to me twice today now and like the vulture sitting on a dead limb says to his buddy beside him, "Patients my A##, I'm gonna go kill something!"

I get long winded in my posts I know and twice today while meditating and contemplating my prose my login has timed out.  Of course I do not know it has timed out until I click Post to add my post to the forum.  Well I get the message that I have to login again.  I do this, and now my carefully worded post is completely wiped out and I'm staring at a blank box where my work used to be.
I have always checked the Always stay logged in box every time I log in but it does not work for me.  How can I stay logged in and NOT LOSE my posts while working on them???
I tried to post an answer to Jack about how to install scenery today and lost it all.  I tried to explain this right here in this forum and lost that too.
Color me POed !!!!
 8)
Later,

Spud

WeDGe

• You cant take it with ya
Re: What the @#$^&*$$%$ !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »
My words exactly was working on the how to for fshost ...f&^%ing lost it all  still seams to time out every hour regardless of checking stay logged in or adding time to the ...frustrating to say the least...WeDGe

GrahamP

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
How can I stay logged in and NOT LOSE my posts while working on them???

I type my post in Notebook.  Then when I am ready, cut and paste it onto the forum.
Graham

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
I could do that I suppose but only a few things I like to do more than once. (sex comes to mind)
 8)
Later,

Spud

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:59:32 AM »
Spud,

I don't know this particular forum from the 'backend', but most forums have a time-out function. That is there to shield you from spammers, ad-bots and hackers. It means you have to perform 'action' within a certain time. When you are just typing a message in the editor, there is no 'interaction' with the forum as such. In other words, it will see you are 'inactive' and ultimately disrupt the connection.

As far as I know there is a way to make that 'time-out time' longer by the Administrator, but that may depend on the forum software.

There are three alternatives. Type long messages in Notes and then copy/paste them to the forum post.

Type shorter messages.

Learn to type a helluvalot faster   ;D ;D ;D
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »
Now see there everyone has a solution  :D except the one I want  :-\ As for typing faster, that is not the problem, it is thinking faster  ::)  Many of my posts are trying to offer help or an answer to a problem and it helps if I can scroll back and forth to the post in question for reference purposes.   ;)  How is that for alluding to the well know "brain fart" in a roundabout way!    :o
I'll just have to plug away as best I can and worry about not being loved and appreciated later  :) :D ;)
 8)
Later,

Spud

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:34:47 AM »
Since the forum admin hasn't replied yet, there is still a chance that he can change the 'live time' of posting for ya.... there is still hope  ;D
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

aeugli

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »
Hi Spud,
I think it´s very easy/simple to handle that issue.
I for myself make a copy in my browser-cache regularly (for example all 5 minutes: mark, right click, copy) or before I go to another screen, side, folder and so on.. to look something at.
With that I´ve always a recent copy of my post and can paste it back if something happens ;D
Hope this helps!
Cheers Rainer
Rainer

i7-3770K@4.5G|Intel DZ77GA-70K PCIe 3.0|Noctua NH-D14|Mushkin Redline 8GB@2133 PC3-17000 CL9 |Gigabyte GTX 680 OC|301.42 WHQL|4xSamsung SSD 830 256GB|1x VelociRaptor 1TB|Asus Xonar 2DX|Teufel 5.1 Soundsystem|Seasonic Platinum 1000W|Lian Li PC-V212 | HP ZR2440|3xFujitsu P-23T 3D

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »
Spud, if you need to think faster, I guess you need to read your spam more often - there's all sorts of medication you can buy there - even for enhancing memory.... I think... 

;D  :o  :D
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:28:38 PM »
Ranier,
I am sure you have a good system there but sorry to say I have no clue what your talking about.  When it comes to browsers etc. I know just enough to be dangerous! 

Chris,
sorry to say that I do not receive spam in my emails.  Well not entirely true, with Juno because they send spam to the tune of about 2-3 per day and you can not report Juno email as junk????!!!!!  I just let them stack up and on Sunday I still report them as junk!!
 8)
Later,

Spud

aeugli

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »
Hi Spud,
sorry to be mysterious.

I meant: When you are writing a post, after a couple of minutes mark the whole stuff (hold left click down on your mouse and "fly" over the whole stuff; it´s then bluish/blue "marked") you have written, right click your mouse, choose in the dialog-menue "copy". That´s it for the first step.

Do this regularly for the whole stuff!

So you ever have a complete copy of your post you can paste back (in your posting-window(THIS one where I´m writing now and where you writing your post) by:
cursor in THIS window, right click your mouse, choose "paste"(drop down) and everything is there again ;D
That´s all.
Hope this is clear enough!
Cheers Rainer
Rainer

i7-3770K@4.5G|Intel DZ77GA-70K PCIe 3.0|Noctua NH-D14|Mushkin Redline 8GB@2133 PC3-17000 CL9 |Gigabyte GTX 680 OC|301.42 WHQL|4xSamsung SSD 830 256GB|1x VelociRaptor 1TB|Asus Xonar 2DX|Teufel 5.1 Soundsystem|Seasonic Platinum 1000W|Lian Li PC-V212 | HP ZR2440|3xFujitsu P-23T 3D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »
Rainer,
OK understand now what you meant.  Yes I do that 'sometimes' but it seems to me that on more than one occasion I have been typing much less than 60 min. and the board times out when i click 'Post' and lose it all.  Funny thing is if I'm typing a post and the power goes out, (happened twice last week) I can restart FireFox when power is restored and it will go back to my post and there it is even after a couple of hours.  I then copy it as Rainer says and can repost when I re-log on to the site.
Later,

Spud

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 07:58:40 AM »
If you're logged out, and click the "login" link in the upper right (where it says "Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.")  It will give you the option of staying logged in, or setting how long it will keep you logged in.   You won't get this option if you just just click "reply" and then log in from there.

I'm not sure about the timeouts while posting, I haven't seen that happen, so let me know  if you see it more regularly and I'll follow up with the hosting service.

I'm so used to this happening on other forums, that I just copy my posts out of habit now, before hitting "Post" by just hitting ctrl+A (select all) ctrl+C (copy) while I'm in the post box. Takes 1 second and can save a huge annoyance.  :)

Sorry for the troubles.