Author Topic: Cigar Box Error  (Read 6459 times)

BBQSteve

Cigar Box Error
« on: June 09, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »
Just flew the first flight of mfc0007 and cigar box says I never landed. Must be confused, because I'm sitting here.

http://prntscr.com/jt2n7y

http://prntscr.com/jt2t47
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:01:11 PM by BBQSteve »

wild goose

Re: Cigar Box Error
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »
I am having the same problem. Cigar Box indicates a good connection but appears to loose it once I am in the air.

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
I have had it too.. but was flying @ 500 ft. Redid fight and went up over 1000 ft and all seems to be ok. So try the flight but hit/reach at least 1000 ft once in the flight and should have no issues.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

BBQSteve

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Have no plans to refly. Flew at 4500 feet Cigar Box stopped recording at 838 feet after TO. Time to backend approval so I can continue.

wild goose

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »
Noticed that if I filed the pirep prior to exiting the scenario all was OK.   

nbrich1

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »
Noticed that if I filed the pirep prior to exiting the scenario all was OK.

Yes you have to file the pirep before you exit the SIM scenario.

Norm

nbrich1

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »
Have no plans to refly. Flew at 4500 feet Cigar Box stopped recording at 838 feet after TO. Time to backend approval so I can continue.

Ok Steve - If you were over that 1000 ft alm.. hmmm.. appears that lost cigar box lost connection to the sim for some reason and didn't recognize that you were in the air and hence couldn't land!. Hopefully a one off but let us know if you get another error. In the mean time, you'll have to file a manual for that leg..(generate the leg via the tour bid method, then view your bids, select that tour leg and File PIREP..) > I will approve it and this will generate the next tour leg for you to fly. 

Norm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:42:32 AM by nbrich1 »

BBQSteve

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
Done.

nbrich1

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »
Thanks Steve.. see the manual pirep and approved - Next leg should now generate for you. If not just holler. lol

Norm

BBQSteve

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »
Will do. Thanks.

BBQSteve

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »
Norm,

Does a manual PIREP statistics apply to a pilots record? I noticed that no fuel price was calculated although I entered consumption, and the total earnings wasn"t added in either. Does that mean flight hours are not applied also?

nbrich1

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »
A few items here. A manual pirep doesn't go through cigar box and has no long or pirep. Not used much at all and really only in cases of a flight fail or miscommunication between sim and ACARS like you experienced - and we sure don't encourage use of manual pireps cause it defeats the whole purpose.

In your case - with a tour - a manual pirep is the only way to continue the sequence of a tour - to generate the next leg. (Or re-fly the leg that failed). So if you flew the leg again via cigar box and if no comms issues would have been successful submitting the pirep so all stats would have been applied and the next tour leg correctly generated. But you did a manual instead but it still generated the time and the flight for your pilot record.

A manual pirep goes in via another avenue - so other calculations are not made as far as fuel/Va money. (which we don't really use anyways).. but the time (00.42 mins in the case of your filed manual pirep), plus the tally for the flight, is added to your pilot record- so you get credit for the time and the flight.

To to verify this, go to Cigar Box and take a look at your logbook.

You will see not only all your 71 flights there but this also includes your manual pirep flight submitted:

MFC0020 - Steve Stevens Flight: MFC9202 Dep/Arr: PF20/PAKW Flight Time: 0.42
Submit Date: 06/11/2018 Current Status: Accepted

But when you call up that flight, the window with the log will be blank cause there is no log but the rest is present and the time of that flight plus+1 for the flight added to your record.

Again, and in most cases, there is no reason to use manual pireps as there is usually no issues with the acars and comms to the site or the sim and sure don't encourage use of manual pireps and normally won't except them because we have created a great acars for that purpose.

Norm

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
Sorry for the somewhat late entry to the thread.  I retested CigarBox and all is fine....now the reasons for failures.....the most usual is the internet connection.  There are dropouts, but usually CigarBox will reconnect.  If you have set the save function correctly, you would be able to go back to the last save and continue your flight as if nothing happened.  I have CigarBox on a second monitor and watch what is going on.....especially good when I get in the air and realize I never started the flight!  Other issues can be sim connect.  Remember that you will never know that the internet may not be working well because the flight will continue.  The exception is when using real weather....that will or should alert you to a problem.  There is one other possibility and that is the sim it's self.  CigarBox only reports what the sim reports as an output.  I have never seen the issue with P3Dv4 but FSX was notorious for that kind of error. 

The key to running this down is repeatability.  If you can define the parameters that cause it, we just might be able to figure out what happened. 

Good luck, and thanks for the input.

Henry
MFC0001
Misty Moorings Team

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 12:02:02 AM »
     I have, on several occasions, had my sim CTD at some point in my flight.  The cigarbox will spit out a bunch of irrelevent data, with time stamps of 0:00, then wait ... .  I leave that running while I reboot my sim, and reload the last "autosave" before the crash.  When my sim is loaded and I start flying again, it picks up where I left off and I am able to complete the flight (or another CTD, maybe).  Anyway, this aspect of cigarbox is working great for me.  Also, the cigarbox saves have "saved me" in the past. 

One thing I wonder about is the "webpage" of cigarbox.  Can we change that to the MFC webpage, instead of the "FSProducts" promo spot?  That would be much more helpful to have MFC right on the cigarbox, so I don't have to open my Chrome browser to get the next flight.   ???   ;)   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

BBQSteve

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 09:32:32 AM »
Well since Cigar Box works so well, we can't blame it. My sim never crashed, so I don't see how to blame it. There is no pilot intervention so we can't blame him. I guess it is just FM.