Author Topic: Amphibian ramp locations - not with an airstrip  (Read 1523 times)

expat

Amphibian ramp locations - not with an airstrip
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:47:23 AM »
To get the most out of amphib flying, the experience of landing on water and then the water/land transition is all the more satisfying if you are able to de-plane on dry land etc without any airport or strip remotely nearby.  Very cool to do in say a Goose or even a Mallard with a bunch of PAX or friends.  Strange to me why in FS so many scenery makers choose to add a ramp right next to a dry land runway  (e.g. Misty's place. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice scenery - thank you! :))). Yes it adds a feature and options for simmers - but it is also kind of self defeating.   In the real world no amphib pilot would land in salt water when there is an airstrip right there. ::) 

I am not a very good scenery maker (mess around with airports in ADEX) but research and experience in FS shows realistic amphib ramps are not straightforward to create.  You can make like the Snow Dog tours wooden/dock like ramps that rise a few feet AGL but then they need to drop the same amount back down to ground. More realistic gradual, sloping hard asphalt or concrete ramps - like Chalks in Miami/Bimini for example, seem harder to do.

Questions for experts here: i) any comments on the above and ii) anyone know of a list or directory of amphib ramps in RTMM sceneries?

Thanks!

expat