Author Topic: Casual Flying  (Read 2246 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Casual Flying
« on: April 09, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »
How many of us, after a long day at the office or retired (doing honey-do's all day) ... like to take a break and just do a short flight in the beautiful RTMM area?  I'm one of those. No matter what I'm doing, I always try to get a flight in each day. It is a great way to sit back, relax and just enjoy our hobby.  I call this guy/gal the "casual flyer".

The new Misty Flying Club is "made for" the casual flyer.  It is only a couple of clicks to join, no fee, no looking over your shoulder. Once a member, you can use the new "flight plan number" on each of the 600+ RTMM flight plans to fly with MFC.  Unlike most VA's, this one is built for the bush/casual flyer. You are not saddled down by a bunch of rules and schedules. You fly when you want, MFC simply "records" your flight so you can keep track of all the places you've been (and these are on your "PILOTs" page).

The only "rule" is that you must have a landing rate of less than 600 fpm. (Anything above that is a crash anyway and your flight will be rejected). So you'll find yourself taking a little more care on your landings.

It is fun to see how many "hours" you are spending in the air. I had no idea, and am sort of surprised at how much air time I have accumulated. I haven't used the new log system in P3D because I fly so much "changing/checking" things ... sometimes at 4X speed to keep the site up to date ... and this messes up the logs there and you cannot edit them. So this is becoming my "casual log" for my casual flying.

If you've never tried a VA, or have and hated all the rules and schedules, then you should give Misty Flying Club a try. In minutes, you'll be "in the club" and "in the air".  I've got two readme files in the RTMM_Flight_Plans.zip (...Here2There/RTMM Flight Plans). One discusses using the flight numbers with MFC, the other discusses how to use the flight plans "manually." I've also put a lot of information on our MFC page.

Come give it a try, I think you'll find this a very different and rewarding experience for your hobby.

Doug

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:40:17 PM by Doug »

Teecee

Re: Casual Flying
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »
I like the idea Doug, but I am looking for someone to fly with ..I get tired of lone flights.. I have Skype (free version), and Cloud (also free) for MP but no one appears to like to fly this combo.. it seems all want to use Teamspeak or similar, and I am not comfortable with that, so sadly, I tend to stay away from MP.. Teecee (Terry)

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
Hey Teecee,
We choose FSCloud and Discord as the (free) applications for our MP....Skype for many has gone down hill and FS Cloud is quick and easy.  I have never been a MP for flight simulation, but start to finish (being in the air) less than 15 min and the connection was so clear I wasn't sure it was working.   The whole thing is free, quick to set up and works well.  And we expect to have some Club "fly ins"  and group flights and you can always check discord for members on line and cobble together a buddy flight at any time.

We now have more than 900 schedules in the database all ready to go and you can checkout the Tour Center for what on the "list".  Right now we are up and running well....today ends our first month in operation and we  have conquered most of the nagging issue.  Of course we keep adding things and with the additions come a few setbacks but hey, that's progress.  Norm expects to have all of the RTMM flight plans loaded shortly and you have the ability to fly the slightly more structured tours (true to real world action) or select a charter and fly any of the schedules available.

Please give it a try...I think you will like it.

Henry
MFC0001

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »
I like the idea Doug, but I am looking for someone to fly with ..I get tired of lone flights.. I have Skype (free version), and Cloud (also free) for MP but no one appears to like to fly this combo.. it seems all want to use Teamspeak or similar, and I am not comfortable with that, so sadly, I tend to stay away from MP.. Teecee (Terry)

Terry.. I know you have Discord setup (cause I have you hooked there). You have just been Mia there. I haven't seen you on skype..but honestly I haven't been on line too much either as I have been a busy beaver building stuff at MFC but hey TEECEE we flown together many times..lol..  and I'm getting ahead now in building so have some time and of course will fly with you. 

Norm

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:47:40 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Teecee

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
Thanks Guys. I am under a bit of pressure today, and perhaps tomorrow, but I will give it a serious look over the weekend..Terry.