Author Topic: P3D V4 'Stopped Responding"  (Read 3539 times)

Rangerick

P3D V4 'Stopped Responding"
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
I lost 2 flights today when I had to do a computer 're-start' + close ''Cigar Box" when P3D v4 'Stopped Responding'. 

I re-flew the same flights without 'Cigar Box' running and no problems encountered.

Anyone encountered this ?

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: P3D V4 'Stopped Responding"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:26:23 AM »
No have encountered that or had any problems with Cigar box but that doesn't mean much. A sim crash can be caused by a number of things. Especially in V4 only because all the add-ons used may not be compatible with P3Dv4x but we try to use them all and end up breaking things. (I do it all the time for testing things.)

IE: Depending on where you are flying, and AI traffic issues can cause a CTD or lock up as well as conflicting scenery pieces.  Now I do notice that you have been flying charters in Hawaii (EFMM) and submitting via cigar box. While this should not be a problem all depends on your scenery stuff, AI traffic etc and which way your facings. A CTD in p3dv4 can be as simple as turning your airplane to face something - which translates to request to show a bgl scenery piece or call on a ai traffic piece and if not compatible (FSX native), poof p3dv4 is a lockup, ctd or not responding.

If you are using the HI scenery pieces with AI traffic some may be conflicting with v4 and or conflicting with FTX stuff or anything else that you may have installed for the area.

All to say that have to start by knowing where you were you flying and what is installed for at area? I notice that you have been in HI - EFMM (Charters in HI Cigar Box). If there, between what ICAOS is the sim crash, what scenery intall etc?

Or if this was on a RTMM-MFC leg? Which> Are the Tongass AI fixes and RTMM AI traffic fixes for P3Dv4 installed? etc.   

All to say, not easy troubleshooting but have to know a few things to be able to figure out what is happening.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Rangerick

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:29:49 AM »
OK.  I can rule out "Cigar Box". Thanks.

I installed the EFMM files (No Photoreal) to see how they looked with just FTX Global + Vector, so that's probably where the conflict is. 

P3D Ce La Vie !

Thanks

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
     Not that you've done this, but as a general rule, never add aircraft "in bulk" to P3dv4 from v3.  Always add one, then give it a test flight to be sure it is compatible.  Some AC will crash the sim.   ;)  It's easier to find which one is at fault if you do it "one at a time".   :P

Oh, here's a hint.  If the new aircraft you've imported or installed shows up black or missing in the aircraft preview window, it is not gonna work.  Get it off your v4 sim before something tries to use it for an AI AC.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:12:44 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Rangerick

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »
Haven't done that, so that isn't the issue.

It's NOT "Cigar Box". (as per Norm)

Don't have Tongas installed.

So, I suspect the Likely 'Culprit' is either something in EFMM scenery, or, perhaps the FSUIPC 5 Autosave feature.

Unfortunately, from everything I've read, the FSUIPC 5 Autosave feature cannot be turned off and on in the "free" version.

So I can't eliminate that as the cause.

P3D  Ce La Vie  8)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:12:59 AM by Rangerick »

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »
There is one feature of cigar box that we haven't mentioned that is useful when things go south and that is the auto save....much different than the FSUIPC version.  The default is 15 min, but you can change that in settings and you can go to the top of Cigar Box and click on recovery.  This will restore Cigar Box and the Sim to that point.  You don't loose the flight in most cases.  If you look in the file structure of Cigar Box you will see your saved flights and you can restore any of them. 

This is not a "how to" but just a heads up that a restoration may be possible.  Now to the route of your problem....that's an issue on to it's own.  I have only used the "paid" version of FSUIPC and I have never ever had a problem....Pete's stuff is rock solid and when there is a problem, he will fix it immediately.

I wouldn't rule out anything.  Remember that once you are "on line" a number of things come into play.  As with many computer problems, it's one step at a time to find the culprit .  Good luck

Henry
mfc0001

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »
Along the same lines ... My P3D V4.2 crashed. I didn't "touch" the cigar box. I opened up V4.2 again and loaded my FSUIPC Last Saved Flight. The sim started fine about 5 minutes (my setting in FSUIPC) from where it had quit. Cigar Box didn't care, it just started recording fine with no glitch at all. As long as you don't turn the Cigar Box off, it will sit there and wait for the sim again. That is TOO NEAT!!!

Another thing I like. Life "happens." So you're 1 hour into a 2 hour flight and the phone rings and you have to get it. You just hit pause on the sim. Cigar Box and the Sim just wait. When you are done with your chore or whatever, unpause and it continues fine.  Cigar Box shows a "pause" but it doesn't hurt the pirep.  This is a great feature too.

Rangerick

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »
Thanks Doug !

That would be nice. 

Unfortunately, when P3D V2 stops responding, I can't just restart it. 

I have to reboot the 'puter or all my Go-Flight modules won't work. 

I have tried many, many times over the past few years to try to simply restart the sim then manually restart the Goflight.dev module,  without success. 

After a re-boot, I can use the FSUIPC 5 autosave function to restart the flight, but "Cigar Box" has already closed down.

I'll have to take a look at the "Cigar Box" autosave feature that Henry mentioned and see if that works.

It's always something.  LOL

P3D Ce La Vie

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 08:37:41 PM »
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but the best advice I could give you is the bite the bullet and move along to P3Dv4.1  V2 is really old in terms of Lockheed Martin's development and with the almost universal support for the 64 bit version, many of your problems might just go away.  And if not, then there is lots of support for the current version.

Best of Luck
Henry
MFC0001

Rangerick

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
Sorry, that was a typo.  ::)  I am using P3D V4

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 07:43:54 AM »
Thanks Doug !

That would be nice. 

Unfortunately, when P3D V2 stops responding, I can't just restart it. 

I have to reboot the 'puter or all my Go-Flight modules won't work. 

I have tried many, many times over the past few years to try to simply restart the sim then manually restart the Goflight.dev module,  without success. 

After a re-boot, I can use the FSUIPC 5 autosave function to restart the flight, but "Cigar Box" has already closed down.

I'll have to take a look at the "Cigar Box" autosave feature that Henry mentioned and see if that works.

It's always something.  LOL

P3D Ce La Vie

Hi Rangerick,

When P3D crashes, the GFDevP3D.exe software is orphaned.   However, for me, I don't have to reboot, I simply go into the System Tray, click on the blue GFDevP3D.exe icon and manually stop the GFDevP3D.exe software by selecting the "quit" option from the drop down box.  Then I restart P3D.  Normally, I never have to reboot the computer to get the GoFlight modules running again after a P3D crash.  I am, however, using P3Dv3 and hope your issue is not a "feature" of P3Dv4.

Rod

Rangerick

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
Not P3D V4 issue.  The 'issue' is me not realizing it was just  "orphaned" and needed to be 'Quit' before doing a manual restart.  DUH  ::)

I'll give that a try next time.

Thanks Rod !