Author Topic: Short Fields Glacier Tour  (Read 1777 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Short Fields Glacier Tour
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »
This is a TOUGH tour, big planes, short runways. You need to fly a "big boy" ... C47 or DC3 on this tour. I'm using the C47, (first time I've flown it). To land at Bronson Creek, off the river you must make a sharp turn about 100 degrees to the right upon approach. But there is a back way in. If you look carefully at your map, you can come in over Monsoon Lake. Just don't hit the tree or the diggers at the leading end of this runway. I'm not used to the big planes, this is real white knuckle flying for me.

Here's what it looks like on approach.

As you can see, this is not for the "feint at heart". :-)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:56:58 AM by Doug »

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Short Fields Glacier Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:10:35 AM »
For sure not an easy trip. Great video capture Doug  and love the C47 Rumble!! Nice job.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

BBQSteve

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »
Where is the part where you ran off the end of the runway Doug? Show us that part of the clip!   ;D

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
Yeah ... actually I was at 100% flaps, and you can land that monster at 78 mph without stalling it. Its a great plane, but so different to handle after years with the Misty Beaver. So I literally had half a runway left.  Navman's retreat is shorter ... I ran a little past the end markers on that one! ...and a 548 landing rate (darned near a crash!).