Author Topic: Smoke Fix Update from Doug  (Read 4602 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Smoke Fix Update from Doug
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
I'm now down to the "S's" ... so we are getting there, about 3/4ths of our scenery locations are now P3DV4 ready for getting rid of the smoke problem.  If you see one with a problem, if it starts with S or higher (toward Z), don't worry about it, I'll get there. If you see something before "S" ... I need to know so I can put it onto the worksheet.

If you look at the scenery page, you'll see I am doing two other things as I come down the page. I'm putting in 4 digit lat/long starting position data for each scenery location. And for the "groups" I'm listing them in the scenery slot for that location. If you use those coordinates, your aircraft will be exactly where it needs to be to start a trip from that location.  I'm actually finding these are more fun, you get to revisit a pretty place, but they fly "back" to where ever you want by the seat of your plants, or "Direct" on the GPS.

The other thing you cannot see there, but you can see on the bottom of Table 10 (Installation/Getting Started Page), is the RTMM Remote Startup Scenarios.zip  This will only work for you if you have P3D, it does not work with FSX.  You add the contents of this to your Prepar3d V3 Files or Prepar3d V4 files folder. When you go to load a scenario, all of our locations (that I've done) can be found and loaded, putting you exactly where you need to be to start a trip.

Note that it is easy to "mess" with these. They all start with RTMM ... so if there are ones you don't want, just delete them. Or if you decide you don't like this, select all "RTMM - " entries and delete. You can always re-download them from the bottom of the Table 10.  I'm finding these are very helpful, you don't have to figure out where these things are.  You can look at our maps with VFR Flight, Plan G or KMZ and when you see then name of a place, when I'm done, you'll be able to load it. There are hundreds of them.

P3D/IS3 is about as shaky as a hula dancer wearing poison ivy.  You never know which way it is going to jump to next. Mostly it jumps to CTD. Then other times it will work for a couple of hours with no problems. I cannot find the pattern. When it doesn't want to work, I work in P3DV4 to find problems and add them to the worksheet, when it does work, I come through the worksheet problems and eliminate them.

If you have Owikeeno, you should probably download the new file (from the Scenery Page) even if you have P3D V3, V4 or FSX.  With the Mega_Yacht change that we had to make (to make it work in V4), it changed the route a tiny bit .. enough to put the boats at Owikeeno on the pier (disturbing! :-).  So I adjusted those piers. I also fixed the short waterfalls, that just do not work, and now that we can better see the waterfalls (thanks to Mike's effect upgrade), I did a better job of placing them. So if you like Owikeeno, download the new one. You will also see all of the major Owikeeno locations have 4 digit lat/long coordinates, and all of these are in the RTMM Remote Startup Scenario.zip.

More work to do, but we are plugging away at it.

Doug

Doug

Re: Smoke Fix Update from Doug
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:13:28 PM »
OK, all of the RTMM locations now are have a starting Scenario in the RTMM Remote Startup Scenarios.zip folder (Table 10/Installation page).

You can see from the workshop sheet that I have about 25 locations to "fix" with multiple fixes at most of them.  I cannot do these unless I can get IS3 to work with P3D V3.4.  Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't work at all. There is no pattern to it.  So if it starts working, I'll try to finish these off.

And as Steve reminded us ... just because a location doesn't have a P3D V4 Ready logo, that doesn't mean it won't work, it will actually work almost perfectly ... but it does mean you will see a "detached smoke effect" coming from a chimney pipe.

Thanks for everyone's patience on this.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:26:59 PM »
All of the smoke problems for P3D V4+ have been fixed. There were over 300 of them. The updated files (FOR FOLKS WITH V4+) can be downloaded from the individual scenery locations or in combined zip folders that make downloading and installing easier.

There are a few we are still working on with "library updates", etc. But everything that has been fixed has the P3D V4 Ready logo on it.

There is a possibility you may run across an errant smoke problem, if you do, let us know. There will be some of these in the Season Switcher files ... most checked, but they can hide in a lot of places in those multiple bgl folders.

Also while doing this project, I put a latitude/longitude/heading start for EVERY location (this took many hours). There is also a "RTMM Remote Startup Scenario" for each location. You can use those to start out at a location and fly back to an airport, seat of the pants, no flight plan, just your gps.

So we are P3D V4 ready on all.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:38:39 PM by Doug »

Dieter

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
@Doug
Just read somewhere that "Microsoft Tuesday update December 12, 2017—KB4054517 (OS Build 16299.125)" should have eliminated the P3Dv3.4 bug.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Doug

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
I downloaded and installed the update immediately, same problem ... however there is a Microsoft fix for netframework that Steve put me into. Tried it and IS3 came back to life. That was the key. Great to have it back, I’m back in business!

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
however there is a Microsoft fix for netframework that Steve put me into
Might be interesting for other users concerned.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Doug

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »
Here is the tool from Microsoft that solved the problem:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from ...
www.microsoft.com
This tool detects and tries to fix some frequently occurring issues with the setup of Microsoft .NET Framework or with updates to the Microsoft .NET Framework.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
And...here's the information that I found regarding the child window issue that Doug was having which fixed that problem:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/524446-p3d-fix-for-error-creating-child-window/#comment-3750688
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support