Author Topic: Top her up...  (Read 2909 times)

lionwing

• Live and let live...
    • Airwego VA
Top her up...
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »
I never knew the oil filler cap for a Beaver was in the cabin.

:)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Top her up...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
OH yeah!  When I took my ride in Ketchikan, the plane smelled like spilled oil and he had two cans of oil under the seat!  That's why, on my triptics, I put a dirty fingerprint on some of them. This guy had a cigar box under the seat with all these "trip tics" in it. They were just pieces of paper with the turns "written" so he could remember where some of the more remote cabins were.  That's how I got the idea for the trip tics.  If you want to simulate the beaver, get a small fan blowing over an open can of oil on your desk ... its as real as it gets! :-)

Doug

lionwing

• Live and let live...
    • Airwego VA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »
Brilliant story Doug.  The next step in flight simulation...bring the smell to the party!

I need to explore the trip tics a little more...again another fascinating part of this excellent website.

My wife mentioned going on a Disney Cruise earlier this week.  I explained my fondness for "Misty Moorings" and asked if Disney included Alaska in their brochure....apparently not so the Caribbean will have to do!

I am UK based and have a passion for the beauty and history of my country.  That said there are several places I want to visit in the world and Kethcikan is right up there alongside Sicily and anywhere above the Artic circle.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
"Round Engines" IE: Radial are not noted for conserving oil.  They leak when they are running, they leak when they are stopped
 and they leak just for the "hell" of it.
Sort of a check the gas and 'fill er up' with oil kinda thing.

Later,

Spud

lionwing

• Live and let live...
    • Airwego VA
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
Reminds me of a few cars I have had over the years!

:)

av8erjm

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
a lot of radial engine aircraft have drip cans under the engine to keep the oil off the tarmac to appease the environmentalist. Which always seemed ironic since most, not all but most tarmac's are oil based asphalt, at least out here in the western US is the case. The other think I found humorous was a Remove Before Flight flag on the drip can much like a pitot cover, I'm sure  the pilot would know the error of his ways as soon as the ''fan'' started to turn

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 12:24:13 PM »
Great story with the  "trip tics"  Doug...it´s great when ideas happens like that!
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
We probably should get Klaus to put some PenZoil cans on the floor of the beaver! :-)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
Drip pans are SOP with radial engines at least they were/are in the military.  As far as the tarmac being asphalt based the reason to NOT drip engine oil on it is that it will soften and ruin the asphalt in very quick order.  Remove before flight signs are dictated by SOP.  Anything not going into the blue with the A/C has to have the notice on it like prop covers, intake plugs etc. etc.  You would be amazed what some folks have tried to fly with because they just 'forgot' to remove before flight.
 8)
Later,

Spud