Author Topic: Can you service Cabins in the winter?  (Read 2096 times)

briansommers

Can you service Cabins in the winter?
« on: November 27, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
I'm starting a VA that uses your missing cabins and other scenery.

I'm striving to create a realistic experience.

Any locals in Alaska, do you know if charter companies would fly passengers out to the local cabins during winter? Or do the cabins pretty much shut down during winter? Hard to imagine tourists that would come out and want to rent a cabin in the winter, but I'm sure it's been done sometime.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Also, what type of charter flights are there in the Winter, especially in the Juneau area? Or does it all come to a grinding halt?
Thanks.

rgerdes

Re: Can you service Cabins in the winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »
A lot of the ones on salt water get used in winter by duck and deer hunters.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »

8) WOW! That's RED!!  8)  My eyes are burning ...   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »
I do many RTMM excursions at Alaska Adventures VA. (http://flyaka.com/) if you want to look around. Many of the SAK/Tongass coastal cabins are water moorings but there are a few cabins or other type locations in the interiors but only a few have small strips for access and they're definitely not an easy land. 

Most cabins around PF20 and westward towards the ocean and being salt water: the water moorings don't actually freeze over during winter. Water is almost at ice temps but still liquid!. Cabin Heat, Carb Heat, Pitot heat are a requirement in this winter flying season!

(Our last float trip of the year is currently active. It is an excursion in RTMM territory (PAKT and PF20/21 and @100 nm radius to some very interesting locations. It runs until Dec 21). In mid January, will bring out  excursions into the RTMM CIRP (Ice Fields) which truly are winter adventures: landing on ice fields and glaciers with Tundra wheels or ski/wheels).

Now, there are many charter companies out there in several areas. I think you'll find that Juneau area closes End of October and resumes in May. Just do a quick search and you'll get a feel for the areas and their operations.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^